Author Topic: banker's profit  (Read 8041 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: banker's profit
« Reply #15: November 08, 2013, 11:57:50 PM »
no time to make deals? let food rot than.

This is the kind of attitude that leads to cities starving for no good reason.

Which, in turn, leads to the realm in general getting less gold, and being less able to participate in wars and other fun things.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: November 09, 2013, 12:47:04 AM »
no time to make deals? let food rot than.

Try that in Luria.

I dare you.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

egamma

« Reply #17: November 09, 2013, 01:49:22 AM »
i would firstly like to share profit with banker.

Then post sell orders (auto or otherwise) and let him purchase from you, and then sell it to the cities for a profit. If you make your offer lower than what the cities are buying for, then you both profit.

Try that in Luria.

I dare you.

Yeah, or D'Hara. You think your food situation is bad? Luria has 17 rurals; D'Hara has 5.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 01:59:24 AM by egamma »

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: November 10, 2013, 08:26:41 PM »
Yeah, or D'Hara. You think your food situation is bad? Luria has 17 rurals; D'Hara has 5.
His point isn't that the food situation is bad in Luria but that he has cracked on Hrok being the law of the land when it comes to food and !@#$ like that, isn't going to fly. I could easily imagine Hrok having the lord banned and war brought on to a realm that got the region if they weren't willing to give the region back.

In D'hara, it certainly doesn't seem the same would ever come close to happening. I blame Republicanism, damn Lords running the place and not respecting the authority they agreed to submit to. (More or less America pre-civilwar with Lords=states).
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

egamma

« Reply #19: November 10, 2013, 08:30:04 PM »
His point isn't that the food situation is bad in Luria but that he has cracked on Hrok being the law of the land when it comes to food and !@#$ like that, isn't going to fly. I could easily imagine Hrok having the lord banned and war brought on to a realm that got the region if they weren't willing to give the region back.

In D'hara, it certainly doesn't seem the same would ever come close to happening. I blame Republicanism, damn Lords running the place and not respecting the authority they agreed to submit to. (More or less America pre-civilwar with Lords=states).

Actually, I have access to the granaries of every lord of D'Hara, and only one lord who makes a stink about me selling their food without reimbursing them.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: November 10, 2013, 08:55:19 PM »
Actually, I have access to the granaries of every lord of D'Hara, and only one lord who makes a stink about me selling their food without reimbursing them.
That doesn't mean you cracked down on the lords, it could mean they are lax, you cracked down, or something in between. I wasn't arguing that the Lords were a pain with relation to food, simply that they can be a pain in general with listening to realm council or marshals on occasion.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: November 11, 2013, 08:08:42 PM »
This is the kind of attitude that leads to cities starving for no good reason.

Which, in turn, leads to the realm in general getting less gold, and being less able to participate in wars and other fun things.

i don't understand whether you disagree or agree with my previous statement?

i am talking exactly about that, lords should have some incentive to make good trade deals, which would in turn help realms in overall. if lords has nothing but give up of his command of trade, what is point of trade game at all, than?

it is well known that rural lords have low income, and i believed tweaks of trade system aimed to correct that in some way. however, i don't see it in reality now. if lords see their large food amount are simply given up, while they have to beg for gold for their even basic needs, and knights run away from them, there is very little incentive to both attempt any trade and be rural lord at all.

i daresay trade system fails that way. than lords could be completely stripped of food command. shouldn't mechanics push both sides to cooperate - or wage conflicts - to move things forward?

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: November 11, 2013, 08:11:24 PM »
Then post sell orders (auto or otherwise) and let him purchase from you, and then sell it to the cities for a profit. If you make your offer lower than what the cities are buying for, then you both profit.

that rarely works. limited trade distance and other duties that occupy lords mostly leaves all offers unanswered forever. if i could trade myself, i would not engage banker.

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: November 11, 2013, 08:15:06 PM »
Try that in Luria.

I dare you.

that way, i assume, you are telling me that luria is tyranny where rural lords are pawns who just follow orders about what to do with food?!

i would even dare to say that current tweaks in mechanics somewhat failed if on the continent like dwilight, where food possibly means much more than anything else, rural lords have no any chance to become more powerful and influential.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: November 11, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »
it is well known that rural lords have low income,

That's not really true. I would say a large disincentive to the food flow is that rural Lords don't need the gold anyway, and with the capped price of food there wouldn't be so much extra gold to be made in any case.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: November 11, 2013, 09:47:33 PM »
i don't understand whether you disagree or agree with my previous statement?

i am talking exactly about that, lords should have some incentive to make good trade deals, which would in turn help realms in overall. if lords has nothing but give up of his command of trade, what is point of trade game at all, than?

it is well known that rural lords have low income, and i believed tweaks of trade system aimed to correct that in some way. however, i don't see it in reality now. if lords see their large food amount are simply given up, while they have to beg for gold for their even basic needs, and knights run away from them, there is very little incentive to both attempt any trade and be rural lord at all.

i daresay trade system fails that way. than lords could be completely stripped of food command. shouldn't mechanics push both sides to cooperate - or wage conflicts - to move things forward?

They can't be STRIPPED. They can however CHOOSE to give up there control. If the realm is forcing Region Lords to give over control, will they can grow a pair, organise and sort it out, you know CONFLICT.

that rarely works. limited trade distance and other duties that occupy lords mostly leaves all offers unanswered forever. if i could trade myself, i would not engage banker.

I don't understand this. I though that banker trade offers still required someone to do the actual trading and were subject to the same distance restrictions.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

egamma

« Reply #26: November 12, 2013, 06:46:29 PM »
They can't be STRIPPED. They can however CHOOSE to give up there control. If the realm is forcing Region Lords to give over control, will they can grow a pair, organise and sort it out, you know CONFLICT.

I don't understand this. I though that banker trade offers still required someone to do the actual trading and were subject to the same distance restrictions.

If your banker is a lord--and everyone is lord, these days--then the banker can simply take advantage of the fact that they can buy or sell food from their own region without distance restrictions. If they are lord of bankerville, and currently in range of bankerville, and we have the regions of FarAwayFieldlands and FarAwayHungryCity, then the banker can do this:
1. post a buy offer for bankerville
2. take control of the granary of farawayfieldlands and sell food to bankerville
3. post a sell offer for bankerville
4. take control of the granary of farawayhungrycity and buy food from bankerville

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: November 12, 2013, 09:45:07 PM »
If your banker is a lord--and everyone is lord, these days--then the banker can simply take advantage of the fact that they can buy or sell food from their own region without distance restrictions. If they are lord of bankerville, and currently in range of bankerville, and we have the regions of FarAwayFieldlands and FarAwayHungryCity, then the banker can do this:
2. take control of the granary of farawayfieldlands and sell food to bankerville
4. take control of the granary of farawayhungrycity and buy food from bankerville

Which he can also do perfectly well with Auto buy/sell orders. The banker having control of regions granaries doesn't affect the distance requirements, which to me was what Stue suggested. The important part is that the orders are up.

Getting back to the original concept

http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,5308.0/topicseen.html

Shows how the banker can give the Lords profit while still "controlling" food.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: November 15, 2013, 04:45:17 AM »
that process is unnecessarily long. If you can view the order where you are at, then you can. That has nothing to do with what region you are controlling so selling to the banker region isnt needed.
― G.K. Chesterton

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: November 19, 2013, 04:44:36 AM »
Wait the idea is for the banker to profit? ::)

I've been doing something wrong, I just wanted to feed my realm and make sure no issue arose concerning it.
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)