Author Topic: Anything to actually look forward to?  (Read 9733 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Anything to actually look forward to?
« Topic Start: May 09, 2011, 10:58:54 PM »
So the summer arrives, and that means a large demographic for the video game industry has a lot more time to play games. Hopefully that corresponds to some quality coming out.

However, I have been rather bored recently with some of those big title releases. Those FPS in recent months? They appear to be some sort of Modern Warfare variant. In fact, if you change the setting to somewhere in the US, make the guns contemporary 21st century models, and make the characters Earthlings, then you pretty much have Modern Warfare 2. Ugh. There's Bulletstorm (I think that's what it was called) that added some slapstick cartoonish stuff kind of like Borderlands I guess, which was nice and I did like it though. Still, I didn't exactly go through that whole thing. Ah, that does remind me. Homefront, that game about some universe where North Korea invades the US or something, felt to me a lot like MW2. Want to swap out North Koreans with some other Communist nation? Preferably, their neighbors to the north? And I don't mean China. Keep going north.

I'm somewhat into FPS games, even if I suck at them. It's somehow hilarious when I keep getting owned by my friends, and even more so when I manage to own them instead, usually through sheer chance. But recently, I haven't really found any that are fun. Note that by fun, I don't mean it has to have stunning graphics that make each bullet/plasma bolt/laser beam/whatever other thing hitting my virtual avatar feel like I'm actually being torn apart. I'd just like something with nice functionality and stuff. But hm, Halo works for that, honestly. So I guess I'm cool in terms of FPS games.

But now for the stuff where I sit down alone and escape into some imaginary world...Eh? I got nothing so far. Starcraft only goes so far, and I'm not getting into the multiplayer part anytime in the near future. I almost made a horrible life choice when I got into competitive SC, and I don't plan on returning to it anytime soon. Oh, maybe I should make it clear. My preferred console is the PC, and obviously I can play most titles that will be released. Stuff like...was it Shadowrun that required a PC from the 22nd century? Yeah, those, no. Don't recommend those please. I also like taking the DS for a stroll. That does remind me, I have yet to get the latest Pokemon generation.

Now here's the shocker: I actually like the Wii. As hard as it may be for some people to believe, I actually do play some games socially, meaning I play with real people, whose real bodies are actually in the same general vicinity as my real body, and we play a game on the same console connected to the same screen, using different controllers, all of which have actual physical presence in the real world. In other words, I do get friends over to play games. It's always fun when you have someone else there with whom to play, but DDR is a bit intense and I'm not exactly playing a game to become a marathon runner. I'll just exercise for that. I exercise too, in case that was going to be a question.

So uh...Anything good for the Wii that is entertaining either for several people, or just myself, coming out in the next few weeks or sometime in June?

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Anything to actually look forward to?
« Reply #1: May 11, 2011, 09:16:57 PM »
So uh...Anything good for the Wii that is entertaining either for several people, or just myself, coming out in the next few weeks or sometime in June?

Fella, you don't need anything new. Go buy Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Best game on Wii for having fun with your friends, guaranteed.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 11, 2011, 09:30:15 PM »
Also, for DS maybe check out Scribblenauts. Brilliant little puzzler where you type in the names of objects and spawn them for use in the game world. You'll be amazed at some of the things you can do. Honestly, absolute gem.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 11, 2011, 09:59:33 PM »
Fella, you don't need anything new. Go buy Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Best game on Wii for having fun with your friends, guaranteed.

Not a huge Wii player, but Melee and Brawl are both top notch games. I'm not even particularly good at them and I love playing them with people who play in tourney's for each game.

Scribblenauts, at least the first one, was neat but underwhelming compared to the hype. I'm getting ready to give the newest Pokemon game a whirl myself in coming weeks and I'm a fan of the Cooking Mama games.

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 12, 2011, 03:21:18 AM »
I have to ask, what systems do you have?  To keep you busy until big titles release you could if you have a PS3 I suggest taking a look at the PS Store, when the online comes back that is, it has a ton of really cool arcade style games.  Plants VS Zombies, Horde, Might and Magic Clash of Heroes, previous Resident Evil titles, Castle Crashers, Age of Booty, Mushroom Wars, Dungeon Alliance, Fat Princess, Risk Factions, original Castlevanias including Sympthony of the Night, and such. The xbox has that Magic the Gathering Duals Planes something thats cool.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #5: May 12, 2011, 03:29:00 AM »
Of the modern consoles? Wii. Yes, that's it. I'm not a hardcore gamer, although I do keep up with such titles. So far I've about melted my RE4:Wii disc with unholy playtime. When I noticed that I could play through the game in Pro mode with only a Broken Butterfly, and still fire it liberally, that was when I realized I should probably move on.

Modern handheld consoles? DS, but not 3DS. I checked the games coming out for it and I refuse to spend for some 3D pocket console that doesn't really make much use of the 3D anyway. Now if the touchscreen could sense depth...And there was a game that actually made creative and good use of that function...Maybe. But no. Pokemon BW works quite well on the normal family of DS, and that's about the only series of games I ever play on the handheld anyway.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 12, 2011, 10:41:08 AM »
Not a huge Wii player, but Melee and Brawl are both top notch games. I'm not even particularly good at them and I love playing them with people who play in tourney's for each game.

That's what I love about Smash Bros. You don't have to be ridiculously good to have fun. Though saying that, I do miss the days of Melee when I used to absolutely dominate as Peach. Then Brawl came along, she was nerfed and I've pretty much been getting a kicking from my friends ever since >.<

Of the modern consoles? Wii. Yes, that's it. I'm not a hardcore gamer, although I do keep up with such titles. So far I've about melted my RE4:Wii disc with unholy playtime.

Resi, eh? You're a braver man than me. Anyway, just had a gander at the Wii retail release list over on IGN and, to my eyes, it doesn't look all that encouraging. Looks like the Wii 2 effect is being felt already. New releases are looking fairly thin on the ground and the only 'big' release coming to Wii in the next year or so is a new Zelda. You might have more luck with the Wii back catalogue.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #7: May 12, 2011, 02:28:33 PM »
Ah, Skyward Sword? The one where Link's sword is some girl? I do wonder if the game will have the correct perspective this time, as opposed to Twilight Princess where Link was right-handed. Like, I know that statistically right-handed people are the majority, but for a Wiimote, it's not that hard to switch the hands...

But yeah, Wii's how I play my DDR, lol. It's really something my mom wanted for those exercise sims or whatever.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 12, 2011, 05:38:17 PM »
I don't see how people can have so much free time that they can afford to look forward to games.

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 12, 2011, 07:00:37 PM »
I don't see how people can have such busy lives they don't leave room for themselves to have down time.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #10: May 12, 2011, 08:23:01 PM »
There is this phenomenon in most American educational systems, more specifically in this case, the American private undergraduate school, in which at a certain point in mid-May, educational obligations cease until a point in the beginning of September. In my particular case, this phenomenon coincides with another related phenomenon in which, after spending four years committing to certain educational obligations, I was eligible to receive proof of completion of said obligations, thus leaving me with a long period of time in which to await decisions from professional schools.

I hope that explains my free time.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 12, 2011, 10:44:56 PM »
Well, I guess it's because my pc is crap, but I keep replaying old games, and honestlyI still enjoy them :) played Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory in a clan for years, TES:Morrowind, Warcraft 3... recently I rediscovered the Total War series :) RTW Seleucids ftw!

And I played pokémon games on GBA, an emulator. I tried to get a DS emulator to work, but I lost interest.

Bluelake

• BM Dev Team
  • Noble Lord
  • Ta|i - Bluelake Family since 2007
    • View Profile
    • Family Tree
« Reply #12: June 27, 2011, 04:43:13 PM »
There is this phenomenon in most American educational systems, more specifically in this case, the American private undergraduate school, in which at a certain point in mid-May, educational obligations cease until a point in the beginning of September. In my particular case, this phenomenon coincides with another related phenomenon in which, after spending four years committing to certain educational obligations, I was eligible to receive proof of completion of said obligations, thus leaving me with a long period of time in which to await decisions from professional schools.

I hope that explains my free time.

There's a cracked list of things you should know but nobody tells you (or something like that), in which one of the items is: enjoy your summer vacations, because one day you look back and realize you already had your last one. Ever.

Unless you become a teacher, but even then it's way shorter than your student's vacations, and you always take some work home (that's me, not cracked, saying). I think my last summer vacations were in 2006, but I'm not sure. Can't recall when it was or what I did. Probably sat around all day most days, then went travelling a bit, then sat around more and read like 7 books.
Today is Thank Wimpie for Being an Awesome Dev Day. Give Wimpie some gratitude for his constant bugfixing, pestering of admins to get things done, and general Wimpieness.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 27, 2011, 08:22:22 PM »
Necromancer!
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 27, 2011, 09:04:12 PM »
Age of Wonders, if you don't already play it. Only 10 bucks on steam and you get the map editor which was used for all the BM maps.

Great turn-based game kinda like Wesnoth but better cause it's not free. Granted I loved Wesnoth's rpg's. You just had one super-powerful character and ran around killing tens of monsters each turn, leveled up like crazy and had epic weapons!

As for FPS, I really have't been playing too many of them. More and more I dive into BattleMaster instead!
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)