Author Topic: Earl, Count, Viscount, Margrave...what's the diff?  (Read 6680 times)

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Earl, Count, Viscount, Margrave...what's the diff?
« Topic Start: November 17, 2013, 06:42:07 PM »
Just wondering.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
The are different levels in the hierarchy. How they are assigned depends on the selected title system. 
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
In BattleMaster, they're pretty much just different flavour.

In the actual medieval period, they were indicators of rank, status, and power. No Baron would dare to anger an Earl, but no Viscount would be caught speaking ill of a Duke.

Of course, the particular titles used and their precise meaning varied widely through the time and space that we collectively call "Medieval Europe," so it's hard to make a definitive statement about what any given title "meant."
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eirikr

To expand on what Indirik said, I know you can specify the titles to be tied to region type and population... maybe a few others.

For example, it's pretty common to see the lord of a city or stronghold be called a Margrave (the top of the chain) because they have the highest population and are the richest kind of region. But in Thalmarkin, my lord holds a Townsland and is still a Margrave... to my knowledge, this is based upon meeting the population threshold needed. Typically Barons make up the lowest populations.

I thought this was up on the Wiki somewhere, but I can't seem to find it... I do know that the Ruler gets to specify how the titles are distributed.

And, I could be imagining this, but I thought the titles could be tied to current population (maybe not anymore) such that it was possible to be a Baron one day and a Count the next as the region's population recovered.

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Margrave is only given to the Duke which could be any lord in the duchy.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile

I'm not sure if you are just improperly expressing yourself, but one does not need to be a margrave to be a duke. However, in most title systems, the only regions from which a ruler can create a duchy are the ones held by margraves.

Also, there is no set method of determining who gets what titles. The ruler picks a title system. In the republican system, for example, every lord is a senator. This has nothing to do with government system. In IVF, a theocracy, every lord was called senator.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile

Margrave is the title given to lords of townslands, cities, and strongholds, except in Republican and Democratic title systems.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with being Duke.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
oh never noticed.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Under the correct circumstances, even the lord of a rural region can be a Margrave: Znowii Plaraveen, Margrave of Eykfar

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
And we have the lord of a stronghold who is an Earl, presumably because of small population.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Under the correct circumstances, even the lord of a rural region can be a Margrave: Znowii Plaraveen, Margrave of Eykfar

The correct circumstances being high population?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I don't remember. That may be one of the factors.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile

egamma

If you want a historical answer, instead of a game answer, then feel free to ask again in the Background forum.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile

I think it is. That, of course, and the title system chosen by the ruler.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron