Author Topic: Player asking for IC information OOC  (Read 15611 times)

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Player asking for IC information OOC
« Reply #15: November 21, 2013, 07:37:16 AM »
Sounds like the errant knight lacks refinement. Why not ask his lord to mentor him until he better understands message protocols. If really doesn't understand what he's doing wrong, better to have patience and try to help him IMO. Maybe he's a slow learner.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: November 21, 2013, 12:59:10 PM »
Right now Magistrate Cases basically attack the person
That's not a matter for this thread. If you think that the manner in which Magistrates cases are handled needs refined, then start a new thread somewhere on the Magistrates board to talk about it and propose ways to change it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #17: November 21, 2013, 08:14:50 PM »
I just reviewed the wiki, and I don't see anything saying that this behavior is unacceptable (except on Dwilight). How can we expect him to know information that isn't written down?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: November 21, 2013, 08:21:21 PM »
I just reviewed the wiki, and I don't see anything saying that this behavior is unacceptable (except on Dwilight). How can we expect him to know information that isn't written down?

We can expect him to listen to other players asking him politely to stop.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: November 21, 2013, 08:40:47 PM »
His IG superiors could instruct him to clear all messages with his lord before sending them. Until he gets it.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: November 21, 2013, 11:35:51 PM »
And what effect will that have on OOC messages? And, really, how would it make you feel if someone told you OOC that every messages you sent IG, including the OOC ones, had to be approved by someone else?

It really sounds like this person needs a firm hand to tell him to get with the program.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: November 22, 2013, 04:27:27 AM »
Unless you think he's actually breaking a rule, another way should be found to handle this. You could always simply start ignoring every OOC message he sends, or even put him on your actual ignore list. If enough people do that and he stops getting any responses to his OOC spam, methinks he will either get the message or he will leave. Either way, problem solved. If you're feeling kind you could even warn him what is going to happen if he doesn't stop, but at this point I wouldn't feel bad about just cutting him out with no warning.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: November 22, 2013, 01:29:51 PM »
Unless you think he's actually breaking a rule, another way should be found to handle this. You could always simply start ignoring every OOC message he sends, or even put him on your actual ignore list. If enough people do that and he stops getting any responses to his OOC spam, methinks he will either get the message or he will leave. Either way, problem solved. If you're feeling kind you could even warn him what is going to happen if he doesn't stop, but at this point I wouldn't feel bad about just cutting him out with no warning.

Is that really the message we want to be sending here? "If someone is not playing in a sensible manner out of sheer ignorance, but isn't breaking any rules, just try to ignore them until they leave"?

We don't have so many players that we can afford to alienate potential good ones just because they're not breaking any rules.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: November 22, 2013, 11:02:16 PM »
If you've tried to deal with it and failed, or been burned (such as the private letter that was sent realm-wide and rebutted), and this player is ruining your own game experience, then the best course of actions may be to put that player on Ignore. After reporting it to the Magistrates, of course.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #24: November 22, 2013, 11:40:14 PM »
The OOC ban button for the ruler is for cases where someone's OOC behaviour is so damaging that you need him gone from the realm, NOW.

Spamming or the absolute worst personal insults would be good examples. The main advantage of the button is that it goes into effect RIGHT AWAY, not when the Titans are done with the case. In some extreme cases, you simply can't wait.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: November 23, 2013, 01:44:20 PM »
Is that really the message we want to be sending here? "If someone is not playing in a sensible manner out of sheer ignorance, but isn't breaking any rules, just try to ignore them until they leave"?

We don't have so many players that we can afford to alienate potential good ones just because they're not breaking any rules.

If you ask/tell a person/child to stop doing that/don't do that, several times, but they continue to do it, it is no longer ignorance but just being deliberately annoying/disobedient. The only feasible defense would be a language barrier that causes misunderstanding.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:46:12 PM by Bael »

Bendix

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: November 23, 2013, 06:41:55 PM »

This is the part that I found which relates to this case:

"In Character, abbreviated IC, is what qualifies as "roleplay" even if the "roleplay" message type is not used. Out of Character, or OOC, is when you, the player, are communicating something to the other players.

The two are and must be kept separate!"