Author Topic: Player asking for IC information OOC  (Read 15596 times)

Bendix

• Knight
    • View Profile
Player asking for IC information OOC
« Topic Start: November 18, 2013, 12:32:47 AM »
A player in my realm has been continuously pestering other players to discuss IC information with him OOC, despite repeated requests from other players (including the ruler) that he stop. His OOC messages are starting to flood the realm channel, and it is making it difficult to play the game. The difference between IC and OOC has been explained to this person multiple times, yet he persists, insisting that he is doing nothing wrong.

I am not sure how to proceed at this point. I don't want anyone to get in trouble, I just want everyone to comply with the Roleplaying guidelines.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Player asking for IC information OOC
« Reply #1: November 18, 2013, 06:29:25 AM »
If you believe his solicitation of OOC coordination impedes gameplay or violates the social contract and he hasn't responded to reasonably in-game measures, I'd say you could open a Magistrate case. However, I would urge you to send him a short-but-substantive OOC message privately first explaining your concerns in a polite and concise way, especially if it's a new player.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 18, 2013, 06:41:45 AM »
If you believe his solicitation of OOC coordination impedes gameplay or violates the social contract and he hasn't responded to reasonably in-game measures, I'd say you could open a Magistrate case. However, I would urge you to send him a short-but-substantive OOC message privately first explaining your concerns in a polite and concise way, especially if it's a new player.

Read the other thread. Apparently multiple people have spoken to the player, to no avail.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

egamma

« Reply #3: November 18, 2013, 02:56:05 PM »
Would this be a legitimate use of an OOC ban?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 18, 2013, 03:37:14 PM »
Would this be a legitimate use of an OOC ban?

There is no legitimate use of an OOC ban that the Titans are not better suited to handling.

In this case, it would be a hopeless overreaction, and probably cause this player to leave the game, when all he really needs is a gentle talking-to.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 18, 2013, 03:43:47 PM »
There is no legitimate use of an OOC ban that the Titans are not better suited to handling.

Wait, what?  :o Are you saying that the OOC ban button is just a bait to lure unsuspecting rulers into a trap? If Titans are better suited in all case, why not just redirect the OOC ban to the Titan page?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 18, 2013, 03:59:44 PM »
Wait, what?  :o Are you saying that the OOC ban button is just a bait to lure unsuspecting rulers into a trap? If Titans are better suited in all case, why not just redirect the OOC ban to the Titan page?

Because I haven't (to my recollection) gotten Tom's explicit approval to do so.

The Titans didn't become an accepted way to resolve issues between players until well after the OOC ban option was added. It is important to remember that Back In The Day, rulers were pretty much supposed to police their own realms for things like multicheaters and bug exploiters. The OOC ban was, at the time, a useful and important tool for that...but the Titans are way, way better.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 18, 2013, 04:12:49 PM »
Because I haven't (to my recollection) gotten Tom's explicit approval to do so.

The Titans didn't become an accepted way to resolve issues between players until well after the OOC ban option was added. It is important to remember that Back In The Day, rulers were pretty much supposed to police their own realms for things like multicheaters and bug exploiters. The OOC ban was, at the time, a useful and important tool for that...but the Titans are way, way better.

Ok. That makes sense, it's just new to me.

I edited the wiki to make this clearer; feel free to correct to clarifiy further if it's needed.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Ban
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 04:32:18 PM by vonGenf »
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 18, 2013, 06:35:39 PM »
I wouldn't say that. I think I've seen two valid OOC bans in the past 7.5 years that were quite appropriate. Both involved extremely inappropriate behavior on the part of the target that deserved quick and decisive action. You can couple that with a Titans report to begin the process of a more permanent solution.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 19, 2013, 06:23:33 AM »
Well then, if he's ben repeatedly and politely spoken to on the issue and you feel it is negatively impacting your game experience in a way that breaks the social contract, feel free to bring a case. I do hope the player has been contact in a polite an private way beforehand, however, especially if he/she is new.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Bendix

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 20, 2013, 03:46:17 AM »
Well then, if he's ben repeatedly and politely spoken to on the issue and you feel it is negatively impacting your game experience in a way that breaks the social contract, feel free to bring a case. I do hope the player has been contact in a polite an private way beforehand, however, especially if he/she is new.

I attempted to contact this player to politely explain why the behavior was not appropriate, but in response the player posted the private conversation, along with their rebuttal, to the entire realm.

However, I agree completely with Anaris' assessment of the situation- this player would likely respond more receptively to a polite yet firm message from someone who has some authority, preferably someone from outside the realm so as to remove any shadow of perceived bias on their part.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 20, 2013, 11:46:58 PM »
Like a warning from a Magistrate?

Bendix

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 21, 2013, 01:47:35 AM »
Like a warning from a Magistrate?

Something like that. I think this person is just misguided and frustrated- their goal is clearly not to sabotage the game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 21, 2013, 03:21:47 AM »
So ... quit writing form posts, and report it already.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 21, 2013, 05:56:15 AM »
So ... quit writing form posts, and report it already.
Right now Magistrate Cases basically attack the person, they don't say, "Maybe the perpetrator did something wrong, but is normally a great guy, but punishment is still needed",  its more like "This dirty rotten person broke the rules, feel our wrath!! Rawwr!!!". Of course that is in my eyes and isn't necessarily what the majority see the cases as. Even if the verdict hasn't happened it still feels like, "Is this person some evil rulebreaker?!?", so he probably is trying to avoid making this some negative, you are in trouble thing and more, "Hey you are making a mistake, you need to stop making the mistake, and an apology would be a good thing to do".
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton