Author Topic: Natural Death  (Read 3430 times)

anoobowner

• Knight
  • Vorash Family
    • View Profile
Natural Death
« Topic Start: November 27, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »
I know that extremely old characters have less hours per turn, but is there ever a point at which a character dies of natural causes?

Or, are there a few 150 year olds running around from the time of Battlemaster's conception.

My characters all have an unfortunate habit of dying at ages that would have seemed pretty normal during the 13th century, so I have little experience in playing older characters.
VORASH FAMILY: Protheon--Riombara | Prospero--Morek | Pamela--Caergoth

"The thing with computer-generated imagery is that it's an incredibly powerful tool for making better visual effects. But I believe in an absolute difference between animation and photography." - Christopher Nolan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Natural Death
« Reply #1: November 27, 2013, 04:37:04 PM »
There is no death from old age.

The oldest character, Gregor Relak, is currently around 110 years of age.

Age was not introduced until some time around 2005-6, but I think characters created before then were given ages based on their creation date. Not sure about that last, though.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 27, 2013, 05:58:42 PM »
Characters in BM don't die unless they are heroes or adventurers. But the older your character is, they get less and less hours and even a small wound takes weeks to heal.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 27, 2013, 06:02:33 PM »
Characters in BM don't die unless they are heroes or adventurers.

Or they lose a death duel badly, or they get themselves executed. Or you manually delete them.

But the older your character is, they get less and less hours and even a small wound takes weeks to heal.

Yep. My character Alanna, who's over 90 now, got a scratch in a fight with some monsters, and was wounded long enough to lose her positions after it got infected, and then the idiot surgeons botched their work and she began bleeding internally. (In other words, the regular wound became a serious wound, then a critical wound, before finally healing.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

anoobowner

• Knight
  • Vorash Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 27, 2013, 06:52:46 PM »
Whoa, hearing that I feel like a total newcomer to the BM community. My first account was made in 2009, but I took a break and the account was subsequently deleted by the system I think. My current account/family has only been around since January of this year. That's a crazy lot of history, when did you make Alanna?

Most characters don't reach that age though because the player leaves, or the player gets bored of the character, right? I'm surprised the realms I have played generally aren't just councils of old players sending the younger off to die... maybe it's because I haven''t had a normal character lead a normal life on EC.
VORASH FAMILY: Protheon--Riombara | Prospero--Morek | Pamela--Caergoth

"The thing with computer-generated imagery is that it's an incredibly powerful tool for making better visual effects. But I believe in an absolute difference between animation and photography." - Christopher Nolan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 27, 2013, 07:05:17 PM »
Whoa, hearing that I feel like a total newcomer to the BM community. My first account was made in 2009, but I took a break and the account was subsequently deleted by the system I think. My current account/family has only been around since January of this year. That's a crazy lot of history, when did you make Alanna?

Early 2004.
Timothy Collett

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 27, 2013, 08:06:27 PM »
Alanna is a landmark in her own right, I was glad to see her come back

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 29, 2013, 08:14:59 PM »
I heared that old characters suffer from nerfs.
Nerfs that are suppose to persuade you to delete them like longer healing, fewer hours. Anyone know about that?

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 30, 2013, 01:19:03 AM »
Nerfs that are suppose to persuade you to delete them like longer healing, fewer hours. Anyone know about that?

You should read Delvin's posts about Alanna :)
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 05, 2013, 03:50:11 AM »
The oldest character, Gregor Relak, is currently around 110 years of age.

He is 113 right now.

Age was not introduced until some time around 2005-6, but I think characters created before then were given ages based on their creation date. Not sure about that last, though.

Here's what we know about age. Characters were indeed given ages based on the normal aging formula (I worked it out once, but I can't really remember how long it is for a year I think 28 days or so).  Stuart's character Doc was exactly 3 days older than Gregor for a really long time, and it's probable that this was exactly how much older he was. Aging is sped up by wounds and positions of power to varying degrees.

As Delvin said a simple wound can be serious business as you get older, it's how Gregor lost the Dukeship of Westmoor city. A light wound ended up putting him out of commission for 10 or 11 days. It's a record for me anyways.

Aside: Stu's player ID was 10, my own is 34, Tom's is 35 (Which I find amusing to no end). Stu and I agreed that it was likely he managed to keep the original account from when BM spun off from SM.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 06, 2013, 07:03:25 AM »

Yup, fewer hours. I think with my 87~ year old I get only five hours a turn these days. Wounds certainly take much longer to heal/get worse before they get better. I think your skills also begin to decline more rapidly as you get older, so if you are a champion swordsmen it becomes progressively harder to maintain your high level.

Aside: Stu's player ID was 10, my own is 34, Tom's is 35 (Which I find amusing to no end). Stu and I agreed that it was likely he managed to keep the original account from when BM spun off from SM.

I miss Stu :-(