Author Topic: Advanced Mentoring Concerns  (Read 20177 times)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Advanced Mentoring Concerns
« Reply #30: May 11, 2011, 07:04:51 AM »
Artemesia,

Saying that people should "find out for themselves" is nonsense.

Both Peri, myself, and Bedwyr agree that players shouldn't have to find out by themselves about these higher-level things. We just disagree about if they should find out about it from exclusively a mentor IG, or a mentor IG and this guide we're writing.

I think you will find few people who think players should have to try out each button to see what it does rather than just having people help them along and explain it.

I think that Artemesia is trying to say that players should know the controls and basic usage but they should develop their own way of using all the controls and power at their disposal in more meaningful ways.

I believe, from what I read, that Peri and Matt (Bedwyr) have expressed that players shouldn't have to find out by themselves the controls and what specific things mean/do, not these higher level things that you allude to.  Matt talked about learning from the military academy in his realm, but I think the existence of such an academy should benefit his realm as they are more proactive in helping, teaching, and communicating with their players.

Explaining the buttons is fine and everyone agrees, what we are arguing about is whether advanced ways of using the tools should be considered the same way.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.