Author Topic: Advanced Mentoring Concerns  (Read 20181 times)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Advanced Mentoring Concerns
« Reply #30: May 11, 2011, 07:19:09 AM »
To make an analogy that hopefully makes this all clearer: We can teach an aspiring chess player what moves each piece can make, and how the timing works during tournaments. We should be careful what strategies we teach though, as it is far more educational for the player to actually play matches and try to figure out his own style and from their refine strategies, to make him the optimal player he will be.

I would like to say that I like the illustrations that Artemesia used very much, and these can certainly be used to help us express our thoughts/opinions more concisely and thoroughly.

Please tell me what you think of the following modified simile from Artemesia:
I believe it should be easy to see the parallels.

• BattleMaster is like a boardgame, where friends are playing together for good fun
  • The rules of the boardgame should be known to all, so should implications of most basic actions or combination of actions
  • Standard etiquette should be taught to all players to encourage an enjoyable environment
  • Basic strategies should be discussed to encourage further thought and explain interesting aspects of the rules or consequences of actions

If we accept these basic generalizations, we can discuss whether Advanced strategies should also be thoroughly discussed in an open forum for all to access, which is what I believe most are talking about here.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 07:20:40 AM by Foundation »
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.