Author Topic: Advanced Mentoring Concerns  (Read 20179 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Advanced Mentoring Concerns
« Reply #30: May 11, 2011, 06:35:16 PM »
In truth I am even hesitant to teach players all the mechanics. But I would compromise if it makes for a better playerbase in the future.

But where I will not compromise is the apparent naivety regarding teaching players all the subtle tricks of the trade. What do you think will happen when you teach people how to gain influence and how to become a duke/council member?

I will tell you what will happen: Gradually the newer playerbase will become more accustomed to such "easy answers", and simply go ahead and follow some forum steps to success. When that happens this game becomes some sort of hollow sequence of follow the steps to your goals.

I do not mean that there will be absolutely no creativity involved. But when you wave an easy solution in front of someone, it is very tempting. Almost all of us have been students at some point. How many of us peeked at the answer sheets when doing homework if they were available? On practice exams that had the answers following each question, how many of us looked ahead if we got a little stuck or unsure about how to proceed?

The point is that if we provide the "solution" too clearly and too easily, then people will just get even lazier than they already are. If they are so interested in gaining some position, let them ask people who have those positions how they got them. Let them work for a change, rather than make us do all the work. If some existing lords/dukes/council members are tight-lipped about how, then go to another realm that's more generous. If no one does it, then I'm sorry, but tough break there. That, however, is most likely not the case.

Now I think we are going on about what exactly teaching people how to play the game means. That might turn into a long discussion.