Author Topic: Advanced Mentoring Concerns  (Read 20161 times)

cjnodell

Re: Advanced Mentoring Concerns
« Reply #30: May 11, 2011, 07:47:25 PM »
I am not sure what the problem is if someone manages to secure a position of power and then be unsuccessful... Why is this a bad thing? Sure it can be inconvenient, or even disastrous for the realm or certain characters but this is a game and I am not sure if such failings would be much more than flavor. The medieval world was full of lords and dukes and kings that both totally rocked and really sucked. A lot of times those above did not have a lot of say as to whether their vessels were competent or not. Of course they would seek to have them replaced or even find a way rid themselves of the fool and collect all the resources for himself, but that sounds like a fun situation to me, not something to be avoided.

Besides, being taught or having access to guides on advanced topics does not make one good at the material. Years ago, when I was studying for my CCNA, I worked with a variety of people. We were all given good materials and excellent instruction on what I would consider to be advanced topics. Simple fact was that despite this some did well and others flopped. Not only that, in the end even those who mastered the material presented were left seeking more and realized that there was so much more that was not covered in the canned package delivered to us.

The idea that having a tutorial like the one Vellos pot together on trade would unbalance the game does not add up to me. Some will greatly benefit, others will not get it at all and still more will think they get it but won't.

The idea that tutorials on advanced topics and strategies will lessen in game communication also fails to make sense to me. Since reading Vellos' tutorial on trade I have had a lot of questions pop up. It has made me want to find Character in the game that could expound on this and teach me more. It has not made me want to clam up and cease to seek help in game.