Author Topic: Have Army Banners Show Up  (Read 2956 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Have Army Banners Show Up
« Topic Start: May 10, 2011, 04:47:56 PM »
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Siege_of_Valkyrja

That's just the most recent, and I'm sure you all know about it. Any ideas on when we can expect to see army banners appear on the wiki through some sort of easy transfer? It's a bit impractical to have to manually change the entries in a copied and pasted battle report.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Have Army Banners Show Up
« Reply #1: May 10, 2011, 06:47:56 PM »
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Siege_of_Valkyrja

That's just the most recent, and I'm sure you all know about it. Any ideas on when we can expect to see army banners appear on the wiki through some sort of easy transfer? It's a bit impractical to have to manually change the entries in a copied and pasted battle report.

You should be able to reference the image URLs directly, shouldn't you?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #2: May 10, 2011, 08:02:48 PM »
Source says the editor's using some sort of template, with a blank image link [[Image:]]

I'm not sure what the deal with that is.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 11, 2011, 04:24:10 AM »
The page doesn't appear to be using a template. How did he transfer the battle to the wiki? Was it just a copy and paste job from the battle report? So far as I can tell the army info is missing, so I can't even just add the banners for each unit, since I have no idea what army they belong to.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 11, 2011, 02:18:52 PM »
I believe these reports are converted from HTML to wiki markup using some kind of processing script.

Unfortunately, the syntax used by the banner generator for the game is not compatible with the wiki. If it were, then you could just convert the banner's relative URL in the report to an absolute URL for posting on the wiki.

Code: [Select]
http://battlemaster.org/testing/banner_image.php?shape=pie&color[]=red&color[]=green&color[]=green&color[]=red&color[]=red&color[]=green&color[]=green&color[]=red
The "[]" characters in the URL do not parse correctly on the wiki, and result in a broken image link. Maybe they could be replaced by the appropriate HTML character entities? The conversion script could do that. Or Anaris could change his banner generator syntax. :)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.