Author Topic: My adventurer is slowing down  (Read 3662 times)

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
My adventurer is slowing down
« Topic Start: January 26, 2014, 07:00:28 PM »
My advy is 26 years old. Until recently when he hunted monsters he'd get as far as Group 6 or 7 before needing to rest. Now he gets to Group 3 and the monsters beat him. Does this have to do with age, or something else, or just bad luck?

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: My adventurer is slowing down
« Reply #1: January 26, 2014, 07:06:15 PM »
Are you fighting undead? I always found undead to be a hell of a lot more dangerous than monsters, for some reason.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 26, 2014, 07:11:32 PM »
No, only monsters.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 26, 2014, 07:13:11 PM »
Not sure. I also seem to remember a period during Terrence's travels where hunts suddenly became much harder, but I was never able to figure out why.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 26, 2014, 07:20:44 PM »
If I understand the mechanics of it correctly, there's nothing fixed about the difficulty of Group X. So for instance, if there's only a very small undead population in a region, Group 3 could be very easy. If it's nearly at invasion-level, Group 3 could be much, much harder.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 26, 2014, 10:01:52 PM »
That probably explains it, Anaris. Thanks.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 27, 2014, 02:48:50 AM »
Are you fighting undead? I always found undead to be a hell of a lot more dangerous than monsters, for some reason.

Really? My experience was the complete opposite. I would always slay all undead with great ease, and monsters would always kick my ass or nearly kill me.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 27, 2014, 02:50:41 AM »
Really? My experience was the complete opposite. I would always slay all undead with great ease, and monsters would always kick my ass or nearly kill me.

What continents were each of you on?

As you may have noticed, Dwilight has significantly more monsters than undead, and on other islands it is reversed (though not to the same degree). That, combined with my earlier observation, would make it generally harder to fight monsters on Dwilight, and undead on whichever island(s) it is with stronger undead.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 27, 2014, 02:51:53 AM »
What continents were each of you on?

As you may have noticed, Dwilight has significantly more monsters than undead, and on other islands it is reversed (though not to the same degree). That, combined with my earlier observation, would make it generally harder to fight monsters on Dwilight, and undead on whichever island(s) it is with stronger undead.

BT, and maybe FEI, but I think I'm only really recalling BT.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 27, 2014, 03:52:22 AM »
Terrence was on Dwilight. He was generally able to handle monsters without much trouble. But whenever he tried undead he got wounded, almost every single time. And this was a consistent pattern for RL years.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 27, 2014, 06:11:57 PM »
Both of my advies were killed by undead champions. :P

As to the original question, the strength of the group is not directly related to the group number. I have run across Group #3's that were insanely hard, and Group #7's that were ridiculously easy. As Anaris says, it is related to how strong a presence the monsters/undead have in the area.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #11: January 27, 2014, 07:01:25 PM »
Both of my advies were killed by undead champions. :P

As to the original question, the strength of the group is not directly related to the group number. I have run across Group #3's that were insanely hard, and Group #7's that were ridiculously easy. As Anaris says, it is related to how strong a presence the monsters/undead have in the area.

+1

My advy got killed by an undead champion as well. Fought alpha monsters several times but my character survived all those encounters. But that damn undead champ... just too strong.

Hyral

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 27, 2014, 07:29:56 PM »
One each for me, undead on FEI and monsters on Dwilight. But my current advy is 50 doesn't have any particular trouble with either, even at the warband level...maybe AT is just easier all around. Or do those 'organized group', 'army', 'warband' things not actually refer to the number of undead/monsters?