Author Topic: Frustrating (new) features  (Read 2421 times)

Bhranthan

• Knight
    • View Profile
Frustrating (new) features
« Topic Start: December 21, 2013, 10:31:31 AM »
Just wanted to sum up some regular frustration i have with some of the mechanics.
Perhaps others share a similar feeling.

The new TO mechanics requires active support which is extremely boring and annoying, some troop leaders dont even bother to do it.
I seriously preferred the old system where you just had to be in the region.
Perhaps support options can still be kept but are not necessary to finish a TO, just help it speed up or better: to just help making the region more stable once it is taken.
So no Support will not slow down TO but simply give you a slightly unstable region once the TO completed.
Especially for less active players in smaller realms it can be very boring, clicking support to for days in a row.

Diplomats, the new diplomats changed the game, they are not necessary once your regions are fixed(love you and your allies and hate the enemy).
But as long as they are not, which is nearly every region taken in war, you need an army of Diplomats to restore those regions with no other choice but to have allot or very active diplomats.
Diplomats simply click on the same options day after day and i don't see anything exited about it.
It has some cool options but i'd rather see them add something instead of being a necessary tool for your realm to expand.
These Diplomats could have recruited men and fought battles instead.
Now they just sit in a region for weeks doing something that is boring but very required.
Without diplomats, those regions will keep revolting, even with 2% tax rate and a lord doing police work and courts does not work for even a small realm.
A lord should, with some basic attention and decent tax rates, be able to hold almost any region part of a small realm, once it is taken in my opinion.
Why should peasants bother THAT much about who there lord is anyway.
The peasants of today BM almost seem like some western democracy middle class citizens.
the faith of a lord should mater more then what realm he is part of.
Perhaps the realm he belongs to looted them a few times, so what that's basically what they're usual lord does by taking so much tax from them while holding 'harsh' courts.
It is better to have an 'enemy' lord then to have some pagan noble in charge, who knows what witchcraft or divine punishments might come from that?
I want to fight other nobles (armies), not peasants.

I seriously wish these mechanics where taken away or changed.
I have not seen anyone who liked it yet, perhaps the concept but not the way they work now.
But if you disagree, please speak up.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:39:10 AM by Bhranthan »
Brutus the Brute - Kleptes the Thief - Atreus the Brave - Alucina the Lucid

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrating (new) features
« Reply #1: December 21, 2013, 03:41:46 PM »
Stop doing brutal takeovers?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 21, 2013, 03:54:55 PM »
Add I've said several times, i do agree that we do too much peasant management. I like your to ideas, too. Having idle people help at a slower rate is good, and have active people give it a boost. Sounds more in line with the "play at your own pace" philosophy, too.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 21, 2013, 05:04:53 PM »
I'm playing with a Diplomat/Ambassador... it's much likely to wait for 16 hours and talk to the people... even so, with 16 hours, it's much better be Judge and solve the problem holding courts. With 16 hours as Judge you can do what a Diplomat will need weeks...
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 22, 2013, 02:30:43 AM »
I'm playing with a Diplomat/Ambassador... it's much likely to wait for 16 hours and talk to the people... even so, with 16 hours, it's much better be Judge and solve the problem holding courts. With 16 hours as Judge you can do what a Diplomat will need weeks...
I can't say I have ever been judge but I highly doubt they are more powerful in terms of increasing loyalty than a diplomat that has high skills as I have increased by 12% in one shot and I think I have actually done better before.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 29, 2013, 04:28:43 PM »

Judges can greatly affect control and morale, loyalty not so much. Ambassadors can greatly affect loyalty, the rest not so much, but in any region of the continent, not just in the realm. It is skill-dependent, though.

That being said, I was not aware that region control had been made any more difficult to compensate for the arrival of diplomats. It was my understanding that they just made region control easier all across the board than it was previously. I guess now diplomats can badmouth other realms... which could make things harder, but on the other hand, most realms have no diplomats, or very little, many regions, and too many neighbors. I've not seen many realms consistently badmouth their neighbors. After all, doing so is risky: if circumstances dictate that you want to ally the realm you used to hate, the locals will greatly resent the alliance. Badmouthing foreign realms is far from being as affective as lauding your own, too.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 06, 2014, 08:27:02 AM »
I don't mind the new takeover method. It's no more tedious then it was before. In the old system all you could do was loot, patrol streets or do civil work, and only one of those for any given takeover. The only problem with the new system is it ends up being the same action over and over. In feature requests I mentioned an idea for how to spice up takeovers a little it's under "mix with locals during a takeover".

I don't see what you're saying about diplomats being vital for a takeover either. I've conducted quite a few in Astrum and you don't need to keep your troops deployed terribly long to get realm control to core. Drop a few militia and you should be fine as long as the region doesn't start starving (which most of ours do but that's besides the point). If you conducted a sympathy or balanced takeover you don't even need to do that.

The more I think about it, the more I realize diplomats are all sorts of screwed up. For starters what they do isn't remotely diplomacy. A diplomat isn't someone who goes around spreading propaganda to keep people in agreement with the foreign policy of their own nation, a diplomat is someone who goes to other countries to work out agreements between different nations. Here's an interesting thought, why not change the subclass so "diplomacy actions" can only be used in other realms. Instead of a local propagandist you're job is to spread propaganda in foreign lands. Maybe it can also reduce the penalties for doing civil, police and courtier work out of your own realm. Now that's interesting. An ailing realm lets diplomats come in on good will missions, their regions get repaired but in exchange their nobles have to listen to whatever policy they're trying to push.