Author Topic: Advanced Mentoring: Wiki Vs. Forum  (Read 2177 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Advanced Mentoring: Wiki Vs. Forum
« Topic Start: May 11, 2011, 04:02:58 PM »
One thing I have noticed is that these posts seem to focus, so far, on descriptions of the game interface. This information is more appropriate for the wiki, as opposed to forum material. For example, on the Orders page there is a Help link that takes you to: http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Help:Orders

I think that descriptions of what all the links do is more appropriately placed there. If someone is looking to find out what a link does, that's where they will end up. (Or should end up, if they are paying attention.)

The Command Action help page is where all the game mechanics descriptions should go, no there in the forum. So when you want to describe what clicking the "Hold Court" link does, that description goes on the Command Actions help page.

These forum threads can be used to organize these wiki efforts, and describe how to do specific things, but the raw information on game mechanics belongs on the wiki, where the game sends people who click the Help icon. That Help page can include a link to the individual forum threads as part of the "See Also" information.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Mentoring: Wiki Vs. Forum
« Reply #1: May 11, 2011, 09:12:04 PM »
Indeed, the basic idea was to let the threads run until we had a thorough description, then once we were satisfied that everything had been covered move it to the wiki.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Mentoring: Wiki Vs. Forum
« Reply #2: May 11, 2011, 09:41:37 PM »
Sounds like a good plan. I just wanted to make sure that the ultimate goal of the various descriptive efforts was to roll them into the wiki help pages.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.