Author Topic: Region and Realm Population  (Read 5725 times)

cjnodell

Region and Realm Population
« Topic Start: May 11, 2011, 07:18:17 PM »
I think it would be great if the population numbers generated on the wiki for regions and realms actually represented current population levels instead of max population levels. Not really sure if that is possible or much work, but it would be cool.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Region and Realm Population
« Reply #1: May 11, 2011, 08:36:23 PM »
This would be possible, requiring what would be a minor code change to the External Data APIs. (See the wiki page about these APIs.)

When the external data feed was first enabled, this was one of the points that was raised. Tom replied that he didn't want  the data about current region population to be available in this manner, as it could lead to people who use the external APIs getting some kind of OOC advantage over those who don't. It would make trend tracking via external tools very easy. Someone with enough programming skill could easily data mine the APIs to develop long-term trend data for individual realms and regions.

I am not sure whether or not this is a valid concern, but there you have it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

cjnodell

« Reply #2: May 11, 2011, 10:01:21 PM »
I was actually wondering if being able to track region population so easily might be something people might be able to use to their advantage. I am honestly do not know enough to say. So I will just have to trust Tom's and the dev's judgement on this!

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #3: May 11, 2011, 10:58:18 PM »
Considering that we can already check the current population of any region (on stable and BT) and any human-controlled regions (Dwi), the major difference is only how much effort one has to put in to achieve the same results.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 15, 2011, 06:00:42 AM »
I was going to suggest something similar.

Right now in the ingame description of a region you can see the following:

Population:       6000 (Current Population)
Economy:       (Nothing, they are lazy bums :-\)
Gold:       207 gold (Max possible gold income)
Food:       274 bushels (Max possible food income)

And in the wiki you see:

Population    6950 (Max possible population)

I suggest the ingame description to go something along this line:

Population:       6000/6950
Gold: X/207
Food: Y/274

or
Current Population: 6000
Population Limit: 6950
Gold Limit:       207 gold
Food Limit:       274 bushels

And the wiki something like this:

Population Limit    6950
Gold Limit    207
Food Limit    274
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 15, 2011, 06:08:15 AM »
I was going to suggest something similar.

Right now in the ingame description of a region you can see the following:

Population:       6000 (Current Population)
Economy:       (Nothing, they are lazy bums :-\)
Gold:       207 gold (Max possible gold income)
Food:       274 bushels (Max possible food income)

And in the wiki you see:

Population    6950 (Max possible population)

I suggest the ingame description to go something along this line:

Population:       6000/6950
Gold: X/207
Food: Y/274

or
Current Population: 6000
Population Limit: 6950
Gold Limit:       207 gold
Food Limit:       274 bushels

And the wiki something like this:

Population Limit    6950
Gold Limit    207
Food Limit    274

I would love to see food production and the like be moved to the external API. Then I could easily have all my food related spreadsheets grab current data from the server. I could even set the whole thing up as a wiki template and everyone could easily have detailed food production information and estimates for any realm. Oh wait, perhaps that is what we wish to avoid :)
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 15, 2011, 01:11:52 PM »
I would love to see food production and the like be moved to the external API. Then I could easily have all my food related spreadsheets grab current data from the server. I could even set the whole thing up as a wiki template and everyone could easily have detailed food production information and estimates for any realm. Oh wait, perhaps that is what we wish to avoid :)

That is exactly what we wish to avoid—enemies being able to pick out exactly the region to loot for the maximum food damage, and exactly the right time.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 16, 2011, 02:13:03 AM »
Indeed, it is so much what we want to avoid, that I didn't propose such a thing.  :P

(For those that didn't understand, I am not asking about anything not already available. Just to have the max possible population listed in the game, not only in the wiki, and to have the max possible gold listed in the wiki, not only in the game)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 03:39:55 AM by JPierreD »
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 04, 2011, 05:22:36 AM »
That is exactly what we wish to avoid—enemies being able to pick out exactly the region to loot for the maximum food damage, and exactly the right time.

Mind explaining to me how we can't already do this? I don't see any missing variable to do so...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 04, 2011, 01:10:07 PM »
Mind explaining to me how we can't already do this? I don't see any missing variable to do so...

Unless I'm missing something, you don't have any way of remotely determining a region's current population and production values.  You need scout reports or an inside source.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 04, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
Island-wide region list tells you current population values.  You can then infer the (maximum) production values the region can sustain.  Won't take into account if regions are at less than optimal stats, of course, but it still helps.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 04, 2011, 11:43:23 PM »
Island-wide region list tells you current population values.  You can then infer the (maximum) production values the region can sustain.  Won't take into account if regions are at less than optimal stats, of course, but it still helps.

This.

And if you arrive to a region with less-than-optimal stats? Well, usually the second-best target is right next to it, or you can just be happy that the region needs less effort to turn rogue. In either case, one can plan very well ahead with available data.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron