Author Topic: Tournament Attendance  (Read 20493 times)

Ohzen

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament Attendance
« Reply #15: January 11, 2014, 04:50:42 AM »
Just to add some spice... the guy who complained about my behaviour is by far the laziest member of our community who never tried to get involved in our matters by a bit but only searched for ways to slander the names of his realm mates. We never said something against him sitting in the academy training for the next tournament he can brag about. But when I said something against the lack of morale in our realm he was the first (and only) one to write a letter! (the first one he wrote for months...) Most of the inhabitants of our realm understood my grief and sorrow and wouldnt have dared to say a word against it even though I was obvioulsy violating some rules that were made for the ones who dont know how to ignore things they dont want to hear.

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: January 11, 2014, 05:14:57 AM »
IR violation right there, clear as day, no doubt about it. What Anaris posted is spot on.

Basically, if you can do the same thing without using the word "tournament" or any synonym or descriptive term, you're good. So if you offer money to people who need to recruit a new unit because they lost theirs - fine. If that means people who are at the tournament at that time can't take the offer - too bad.

But as soon as "tournament" enters your reason, you're breaking an IR.

So when he says "250 gold to the first person to reach the rally point" then that's 100% fine (right?), but saying "250 gold to each person who doesn't go to the tournament" would violate the IR.

In a similar vein, while attending a tournament is an IR, is holding a tournament an IR?  That is, could the lord of a city be accosted for *holding* the tournament at a bad time?
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Ohzen

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: January 11, 2014, 05:33:18 AM »
I am sorry to say this but, in my case, the IR bullsht is the stupidesst thing ive ever heard of! A game that tries to be close to reality is trying to prevent the nerds who play this game from a proper dose of REAL reality? People get bribed and intimidated! At least BM gave us an opportunity to not let a facsist who is threatening those he swore to protect let gain power and influence.

Sorry... you guys are trying to be like the useless tribunal of Den Haag. Pointing your fingers at bad dictators but at the same time accepting the ways the world goes round and round.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: January 11, 2014, 05:44:07 AM »
You're comparing a few rules in BM to The Hague trials? Really? It might be time you took a few dozen steps back and re-evaluated things, because you're obviously way too invested here.

Ohzen

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: January 11, 2014, 08:20:08 AM »
FUN & FUNdamentalism...

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: January 11, 2014, 11:09:38 AM »
This is just a game, folks. The only rule here is that people is free to go to the tournaments. You don't like it? Well, I don't like to work, but I have to.

Your realm will not die because of it. And if your realm dies, start a new one. This is not a game based in donations. This is not a game to "win". Live with that. Also, tournaments are for everyone. It's not just your people going to it... it's to your enemies as well. If everyone begin to pay or order the people to avoid tournaments, in some time we will not have tournaments anymore.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: January 11, 2014, 03:41:02 PM »
This had to be the most absurd, over the top, overreaction i have ever seen to a simple "don't do this" that i have ever seen. Someone definitely needs to man up here. But its not the guy that asked the first question.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: January 11, 2014, 05:22:54 PM »
This had to be the most absurd, over the top, overreaction i have ever seen to a simple "don't do this" that i have ever seen. Someone definitely needs to man up here. But its not the guy that asked the first question.

I dunno; I still think the ragequitting en masse of the Fontan Lions after their leader (or, possibly, sole player) was given a private warning from the Titans (not to threaten other people with the Titans) holds that crown.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #23: January 11, 2014, 05:36:19 PM »
So when he says "250 gold to the first person to reach the rally point" then that's 100% fine (right?), but saying "250 gold to each person who doesn't go to the tournament" would violate the IR.

Correct.

In a similar vein, while attending a tournament is an IR, is holding a tournament an IR?  That is, could the lord of a city be accosted for *holding* the tournament at a bad time?

No, it isn't, else it would be on the list. People who can hold tournaments can be assumed to be powerful and influencial enough to fight their battles.

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: January 11, 2014, 11:40:44 PM »
No, it isn't, else it would be on the list. People who can hold tournaments can be assumed to be powerful and influencial enough to fight their battles.

Awesome, thanks Tom.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: January 12, 2014, 03:08:50 AM »
and I gave an order:

Rally in AXXX!

XXX forces are waiting in XXX! The first ferry to arrive will be rewarded with 250 golden coins!

I learned too late about this game but if this is really forbidden... screw this game. I paid enough for M&F and hope I can be part of building a community where real politcs are made without interesting rules like that. These rules are neccessary to satisfy some people, I fully understand that! I still hope that everybody will be free one day to ignore what he dont wants (especialy if you can just click it away). Im sorry but if I get mobbed out by someone who report me for this I dont know if I want to continue since there is allways a risk that someone like that gets a position where decisions have to be made.

Seems off-topic to me, but I don't even see this as being a violation of any of the IR, or any other rule. It'd be a stretch to invoke the activity IR, unless there's more to the story than what is shared. Heck, how did Tom decide which realm would bite the dust in the last BT invasion? "Last ruler to reply will see his realm's ass kicked", pretty much... Doesn't get any harsher than that.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Eirikr

« Reply #26: January 12, 2014, 06:31:27 AM »
This is Tom's game. We play by Tom's rules. If you don't like the rules, discuss an alternative. (Calling them "bull!@#$" is not discussion.) If you fail, you can always still leave the game.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: January 12, 2014, 09:38:33 AM »
Seems off-topic to me, but I don't even see this as being a violation of any of the IR, or any other rule.

From Tom's reply above, this is indeed perfectly fine.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: January 12, 2014, 07:20:55 PM »
I'm not 100% sure about offering money for not going to tournaments; I'm inclined to say if it's framed as a reward for "being good" and staying home from the tournament, that's Bad, but if it's framed as being money for those who will be here, and thus be doing stuff that requires money, that's OK.

I would agree with this interpretation. Basically, just say "those who are available to recruit/available for the battlefield" will get gold. In one of my realms, people get gold for how many battles they fight in a campaign, when it is time to refit. It's the same as the old chestnut: you can play as often or as little as you like, but if you want more, you will need to commit more, and with more, comes more responsibility (regarding council and military positions).

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: January 12, 2014, 10:29:32 PM »
In one of my realms, people get gold for how many battles they fight in a campaign, when it is time to refit. It's the same as the old chestnut: you can play as often or as little as you like, but if you want more, you will need to commit more, and with more, comes more responsibility (regarding council and military positions).

That's really good actually; if I ever have a General character with sufficient income I might steal that.