Author Topic: Nothoi vs Riombara & Thalmarkin?  (Read 9012 times)

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Nothoi vs Riombara & Thalmarkin?
« Topic Start: January 15, 2014, 01:24:24 AM »
So everything was fine and balanced on the land of the south when suddenly...Thalmarkin decides to jump up and loot Nothoi...

IC I´m kind of angry and frustrated at this (a little OOC too but that's part of the game).

Not sure how this will resolve now that we have to deal with the 2 biggest realms on the land.

Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Nothoi vs Riombara & Thalmarkin?
« Reply #1: January 15, 2014, 01:29:51 AM »
Honestly, I'm a bit confused. Last I heard (which was several weeks ago, and second- or third-hand), Thalmarkin was planning to attack Riombara.

Not sure why they changed their minds, but I can't say I'm deeply disappointed that they did ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 15, 2014, 01:32:24 AM »
I am not sure why they did it also.

I do think that the "we are bored so we will loot you" excuse the worst ever
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 15, 2014, 01:33:41 AM »
I am not sure why they did it also.

I do think that the "we are bored so we will loot you" excuse the worst ever

I dunno; I actually find it somewhat refreshing hearing a realm just plainly state "we're coming in to take all your shinies because we wants them" rather than try to cover it up with some transparent justification or lie.

But then, I'm not the one on the receiving end.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 15, 2014, 01:41:25 AM »
I dunno; I actually find it somewhat refreshing hearing a realm just plainly state "we're coming in to take all your shinies because we wants them" rather than try to cover it up with some transparent justification or lie.

But then, I'm not the one on the receiving end.

Yeah but if you think about it, they would have reasons to fight us, so idk the whole "we are bored, so we came to take your gold while you fight someone else, we won't declare war and i hope this is not an inconvenience for you" a poor excuse, like Fingolfin was too lazy to come up with a better idea for it.

But like I said, part of the game...

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 15, 2014, 02:37:28 AM »
When your "decadent, drunken treasure hunters" letter made its rounds pretty much everyone in Thalmarkin was like "Yup, that's us alright."
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Eirikr

« Reply #6: January 15, 2014, 05:03:24 AM »
When your "decadent, drunken treasure hunters" letter made its rounds pretty much everyone in Thalmarkin was like "Yup, that's us alright."

This.

And therefore, this:
"we are bored so we will loot you"

Actually, I'd be kinda happy he didn't pull out a serious reason... Makes the likelihood we stay in this for a long time lower while also granting the possibility that we'll just choose another random target. Or hey, maybe we could alternate between Rio and Nothoi?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 15, 2014, 05:55:03 AM »
I've never liked those joining conflicts for blatantly meta-game reasons, especially when it breaks the balance of a conflict or makes it even more lopsided.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Noldorin

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 15, 2014, 08:48:17 AM »
Well, first of all the reason for doing this is quite easy. We want a conflict. The best way to make people angry is to attack someone, especially someone that will whine about it. Then, who can we attack? Either our allies in the east, or allies in the west or that huge and rich neutral realm down south. It is indeed problematic that you are already in a war, and thats why we arent really attacking you and declaring war, but merely doing some looting.

For the IG purpose of the lootings (our treasure hunt), I do like it alot. The whole idea is to take gold and tell the world that we can do it because the whole world fear us and cant do anything about it. This is good for two reasons: Its awesome, and it gives a good chance of making surrounding realms angry at us. Which idea could ever be better than this?

As for being meta-gaming I would be happy to see you develop it, since I see each of these reasons being quite IG. The only ooc reasoning here has been to not make war on Nothoi, so as to not make the war too lopsided.

As for the rumor that Thalmarkin was going to attack Rio, I have also heard it ooc, and I have really no idea where it came from... Certainly not us at least, and definitely not IG.
Everything in my own immediate experience supports my deep belief that I am the absolute center of the universe, the realest, most vivid and important person in existence.

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 15, 2014, 10:58:36 AM »

As for the rumor that Thalmarkin was going to attack Rio, I have also heard it ooc, and I have really no idea where it came from... Certainly not us at least, and definitely not IG.

I'm pretty sure it could have been some tired chit chat at IRC, when someone has suddenly joined and while people have toyed around with diffrent possible realms to attack... and this fellow has thought "Woah, attacke Rio!" and left... i think on those chit chats all realms on BT and prolly on other islands too have been mentioned :D
~Violence is always an option!~

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 15, 2014, 11:37:34 AM »
Back when there was going to be a new diplomatic relations system, several forms of war were considered, conquest and raid the only ones I remember. I've always thought that such a variety of conflict options would do the game a lot of good, but then again, we don't need the code when we can already loot any foreign realm and easily attack neutral realms on aggressive. So... consider this a raid.
Usually you're only neutral with a realm when either you can't be bothered to change to peace or you've dropped from peace in preparation of war, this gives it at least another meaning: open for raids.

Of course it's an incredibly arrogant and inconsiderate thing to do but Thalmarkin has every reason to be arrogant and not many reasons to be considerate towards Nothoi, hence the neutral status. It also doesn't hurt that it's bad for our diplomatic relations with other realms as we've kind of run out of battleworthy enemies. And then there's the rp of the 'raiding norsemen' and the rich mountain mines that turns it all into a worthwhile experience. (In fact I was just going to create a topic called "There and Back Again, A Thalmar's Holiday" when I saw this one was made. I feel like it would've summarized the nature of this raid pretty well.)

Now as for Riombara... I think we all agree that a clash between Thalmarkin and Riombara is inevitable. Only I was hoping Riombara's war against Enweil would've strengthened them and saw friendly colonies spring up so that this whole thing could turn into a huge continental war of North vs South and make it a war worth fighting. If it doesn't get to that point... then we just have to find other ways to create challenging conflicts. And being a bunch of ginormous douche bags taking another realm's stuff just because we can seemed like a fun way to get there.

I guess if there's a lesson to be learned here it's that you don't let militaristic, victorious realms like Thalmarkin go unchecked.

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 15, 2014, 03:16:50 PM »

Now as for Riombara... I think we all agree that a clash between Thalmarkin and Riombara is inevitable. Only I was hoping Riombara's war against Enweil would've strengthened them and saw friendly colonies spring up so that this whole thing could turn into a huge continental war of North vs South and make it a war worth fighting. If it doesn't get to that point... then we just have to find other ways to create challenging conflicts. And being a bunch of ginormous douche bags taking another realm's stuff just because we can seemed like a fun way to get there.

That's not going to happen seeing how the war has caused the noble count in Riombara to decrease to the point where they have 5-10 more regions than nobles. Even if it did I think both sides are rich enough to line their entire coastline with militia so it would take forever for a battle to take place.

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 15, 2014, 04:56:48 PM »
I think this is all a plot by dunbor because he doesn't feel the satisfaction of a hefty purse now that he gave Althalos Unger. GOLD SHINY HEAVY GOLD!!!!

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 15, 2014, 05:09:27 PM »
Thalmarkin's reasons are legitimate enough for what it is doing. Besides, I agree that this is a nice (new) alternative to the same old wars that Battlemaster knows.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 16, 2014, 10:26:31 AM »
I think this is all a plot by dunbor because he doesn't feel the satisfaction of a hefty purse now that he gave Althalos Unger. GOLD SHINY HEAVY GOLD!!!!

Is it that obvious?  ;D
Though joke's on me because I'm a damned cavalier with a useless cavalry unit in these fortified mountains...