Poll

How is your first impression of the forum?

very good
16 (34%)
good
18 (38.3%)
adequate
12 (25.5%)
quite bad
1 (2.1%)
it sucks
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: First Impression Sticky  (Read 6566 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
First Impression Sticky
« Topic Start: February 27, 2011, 02:24:24 PM »
In addition to voting, you can also post a few more words in this thread. Please vote/post only your first impression, i.e. within a few days of joining. It is important for us to know the difference between a first impression and topics that you post after having had some time to get used.

It is especially important to me personally that you post if you don't like the forum. Telling us what you don't like gives us the chance to improve it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:54:49 PM by Tom »

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: First Impression Sticky
« Reply #1: February 28, 2011, 11:44:52 PM »
Just registered... enjoying this much more than the community site forum, ugh that thing was awful.

Excited about this and the core seems nice as well. Although, a forum only means one more Battlemaster related thing to suck away my time!
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 01, 2011, 12:38:30 AM »
I would change my vote to "Very Good" if there was a better color scheme. In some places there is dark text over the dark background. Very hard to see.  And as much as I seem to like the forum now, I don't care for the colors.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Broose

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 01, 2011, 08:56:50 AM »
Neat! I did not go to college, so I didn't know how discussion lists worked. This is much easier!

EDIT: Huh, it posts with my email, apparently. I must have made some terrible mistake.

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 01, 2011, 05:30:48 PM »
Ok, I finally convinced this thing that I'm someone and not just a guest.  My main issue with this is that accessing it was not easy and it was confusing.  I didn't get why, if I logged in to the core, and registered here, when I wanted to enter the forum it only allowed me to enter as a guest.  And I'm not sure what I clicked on, but it's working now. 

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 01, 2011, 05:39:21 PM »
Indeed, it kinda bothers me that it uses my email as user name.

I mean, it doesn't actually change anything from the mailing list, where it was pretty much the same thing, it just doesn't feel right.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 01, 2011, 05:54:18 PM »
Looks good, not over-complicated and a good selection of seeded threads, topics and initial posts.

I like the notification options, I can still get e-mail pushed to my phone on topics I'm following as with D-list.

There's a bug preventing changing account settings (false incorrect password error) and that means I can't hide my e-mail address or prevent users e-mailing me which is pretty bad (don't know if that is related to e-mail addresses appearing rather than nicknames on posts) but I guess it'll be fixed soon.

All in all pretty cool.
"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."

egamma

« Reply #7: March 02, 2011, 01:45:45 PM »
Those of you who don't like your username, simply click profile, account settings.

Triggster

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 02, 2011, 05:31:21 PM »
Pretty snazzy.  ;D

psymann

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 17, 2011, 05:21:50 PM »
Probably the best forum I've met.

1) Doesn't have people with big signatures
2) Doesn't have people with animated avatars
3) Loads quickly
4) Search function works
5) Clearly laid out into sections - enough to be useful, not so many as to be daunting
6) Child boards make sense
7) Show New Replies To Your Posts is easy to see at the top
8) It's a nice colour
9) Decent selection of formatting options

No complaints at all, apart from the rare occasion that the battlemaster icon in the top left covers over what I'm reading and gets in my way.

Correction:
One annoyance - the sunglasses guy has a short-code of 8 and ).  Since an 8 with a ) after it is something I might want to type, either to do a quick list as above, or to put a number in brackets, like this (7), but with an 8, the damn sunglasses guy turns up when he's not wanted - as above.  Other forums have him as B and ) which is even worse for the same reason but with an even more common thing.  Can he be changed to be some other symbol combination?

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 17, 2011, 05:33:30 PM »
Correction:
One annoyance - the sunglasses guy has a short-code of 8 and ).  Since an 8 with a ) after it is something I might want to type, either to do a quick list as above, or to put a number in brackets, like this (7), but with an 8, the damn sunglasses guy turns up when he's not wanted - as above.  Other forums have him as B and ) which is even worse for the same reason but with an even more common thing.  Can he be changed to be some other symbol combination?

It just makes your day a little sunnier.  8)
Ardet nec consumitur.

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 13, 2012, 07:53:19 PM »
Is good, din't give better vote just for the godly dead end it becomes when you come from the BM's top navigation bar, because there is no way to go back fast after expending a while here. (but no i checked.. spell master and wiki are as well)

If suggestions are good, i would like an special design like Spell Master's forums, also it annoys me the two color background posts, since my signature is made with the clear one, once my post fall into the darker one looks bad.

Other than the "dead end" and "selfish wishes" the forums is good.