Author Topic: Discriminating Religion  (Read 8764 times)

cjnodell

Discriminating Religion
« Topic Start: May 11, 2011, 08:42:49 PM »
I am looking for a good discriminating religion. A religion with flavor, that is simple and that believes that theirs is the only true way. A religion that is active. Religions that believe that there is more than one path or to live and let live need not apply! I would like to create a character destined to become a priest and a jerk. One who will stop at nothing to convert the world. For their own good of course...

I have considered Sanguis Astroism but I already have an established character in Dwilight. He, and I, are very vested in the establishment of Barca. A religion on Atamara might work well as I have a character there that could easily take a turn to religious zealot.

Thanks!!!

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Discriminating Religion
« Reply #1: May 11, 2011, 08:53:49 PM »
EC: The Church of Ibladesh is currently waging a war to eradicate the other nearby faiths and expand their control over more of the island.

Atamara: Several religions, including some new one in Coria, have it as a major tenet that Magna Serpaensism is evil.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 11, 2011, 09:03:25 PM »
Too bad Torenism isn't still around. Their religious views, at least as espoused on the wiki, were very blatant in their superiority and exporting their views by the sword.

The Torenism wiki page is very detailed. I really like the way it was done. From the outside, it looks like you could have a LOT of fun with it. Unfortunately, it really didn't have the IC strength to back up its religious views. Had I not already had a Dwilight character in SA, I probably would have created a character to follow Torenism.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 11, 2011, 09:29:10 PM »
It's very hard to find good religions like this. SA is one where that strain of thought definitely exists, although you might find yourself disappointed by the number of mushy moderates in the Church. Fortunately, thanks to the intemperate actions of those who dislike SA, the moderates in the Church are mainly either temporarily hawks or are keeping their mouths shut, so it's all fire and the sword at the moment. Wheeee!

CoI is... Interesting. I have not broken into the full member ranks yet, but it seems like an overly nationalistic faith. I mean, it's called the Church of IBLADESH. It's hard to tell where the Church ends and the realm begins. This is a good thing when you're talking theocracy, but I wish that the religion was a little more distinct from the realm. As it is, it feels a little too much like a state religion in the negative sense.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 11, 2011, 10:11:41 PM »
You're in Barca?

Verdis Elementum is pretty committed to fighting Sanguis Astroism.

Triunism is theologically moderate but politically radical. We've had prominent members call for extrajudicial violence against SA members before, as well as attempts at political persecution, and pretty explicit support for Averoth/Caerwyn in the current war. Triunism isn't totally radical like you seem to want, but it has its fair share.

More importantly, Triunism is still fairly small, and so a highly involved radical could have significant influence to change Triunism.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 11, 2011, 10:15:55 PM »
State Religion? Yes, the CoI is a State Religion. It's also not a coincidence that the Elders hold the Rulerships (Pre-Diocese destruction it was still multiple, the current 'Ruler' of the Diocese, since there isn't much of it left, has been pushed forward by the Elders as well) and that the Elders have a lot of influence in matters like appointments of Dukes / Government positions etc. The CoI very much controls the Realm, but it has managed to place itself in the Realm Leadership. I believe that contributes to there not being much distinction between CoI and Realm, but that's mostly due a lack of a differentiating Realm. It has also existed in Fontan with a select group of followers for a while. The CoI can be very aggressive though when it smells a chance, and the Nobles are not afraid to push their beliefs onto others. It has a list of Religions at Evil, mostly those that have interacted with the CoI in some way. If you have other beliefs, you are simply wrong in the eyes of the CoI.

To be honest, it can use a few more Nobles that just fully concentrate on the Religion solely, and they would easily make it far quickly within CoI and Ibladesh. That would help a lot, but people are busy sadly, including some Elders (I'm guilty of that as well). A while back we had someone that gave a big drive to the Religion, focusing on books and fleshing out parts here and there, and got others to join in as well, but he paused his character and the momentum was a bit lost. To be honest, CoI seems so ingrained into Ibladesh it has become part of life, like breathing.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 12, 2011, 03:36:08 AM »
While still brand new and not extremely active other than myself, the Church of Echad is a monotheistic religion that has only "one way."

Since we're still extremely small we aren't exactly radical and violent toward others in any way, but my character has recently written a series of letters to his neighbors condemning their beliefs and trying to bring them into the Church.

We're on the Far East, btw.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 12, 2011, 04:27:14 AM »
The Hörgr of Makar on Atamara fit this.

"We are instructed to steal the gold of the heretics, to pillage their fields and to roost with their women."

I'm currently in the process of a large scale rewrite of... well, everything (which is not to say much) that has been written about it, but it is taking significant time as I'm working alone. So if you're interested, you could also have a hand in shaping what the religion will become.

And I would deeply appreciate the help.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 12, 2011, 04:29:57 AM »
State Religion? Yes, the CoI is a State Religion. It's also not a coincidence that the Elders hold the Rulerships (Pre-Diocese destruction it was still multiple, the current 'Ruler' of the Diocese, since there isn't much of it left, has been pushed forward by the Elders as well) and that the Elders have a lot of influence in matters like appointments of Dukes / Government positions etc. The CoI very much controls the Realm, but it has managed to place itself in the Realm Leadership. I believe that contributes to there not being much distinction between CoI and Realm, but that's mostly due a lack of a differentiating Realm. It has also existed in Fontan with a select group of followers for a while. The CoI can be very aggressive though when it smells a chance, and the Nobles are not afraid to push their beliefs onto others. It has a list of Religions at Evil, mostly those that have interacted with the CoI in some way. If you have other beliefs, you are simply wrong in the eyes of the CoI.

To be honest, it can use a few more Nobles that just fully concentrate on the Religion solely, and they would easily make it far quickly within CoI and Ibladesh. That would help a lot, but people are busy sadly, including some Elders (I'm guilty of that as well). A while back we had someone that gave a big drive to the Religion, focusing on books and fleshing out parts here and there, and got others to join in as well, but he paused his character and the momentum was a bit lost. To be honest, CoI seems so ingrained into Ibladesh it has become part of life, like breathing.

Yes, I just wish it felt more like the Church dominated the realm than vice versa. Right now it feels like the Church is simply an extension of the realm, when it should be the other way around... Maybe its just the name. I also am used to SA which has had in the course of time no fewer than seven theocracies (of which three currently exist), plus we are the dominant religion in Libero Empire and have representation in Terran and Summerdale. No one realm truly dominates the faith. This actually makes the Church more interesting, since it is the common ground that binds all these realms together. Makes for great politics.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 12, 2011, 06:27:36 AM »
That's what I'm trying to say. The Realm of Ibladesh is an extension of the Church :) Look as if Ibladesh has taken her name from the Church, not the other way around. The Religion is simply only truly dominant in one Realm. It has attempted to spread in Fontan, and while mildly successful, eventually died out, and the Diocese, which is now destroyed by those meanies in Perdan. ;) The Church most certainly envisions spreading far beyond Ibladesh, but that doesn't mean it so easily can. While the CoI is not a small Religion, it's no way as big as SA, yet. That's still a dream. Once that's achieved, it can try become bigger then SA. Then try shutting down all this talk of bloodstars and what not once and for all and replace it with CoI's beliefs, heh. I'm not part of SA sadly, so I do not know what's going on within her walls.

Anyway, I look at the Church from a different perspective. If you feel like that, well, we'll just have to agree to disagree :) I feel like we're straying a bit off-topic here.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 12, 2011, 02:34:19 PM »
Yes, I just wish it felt more like the Church dominated the realm than vice versa. Right now it feels like the Church is simply an extension of the realm, when it should be the other way around... Maybe its just the name. I also am used to SA which has had in the course of time no fewer than seven theocracies (of which three currently exist), plus we are the dominant religion in Libero Empire and have representation in Terran and Summerdale. No one realm truly dominates the faith. This actually makes the Church more interesting, since it is the common ground that binds all these realms together. Makes for great politics.

Have you noticed Kenarth's recent complaints about Lords being chosen for piety, rather than any more pragmatic strategic or tactical considerations?

I haven't been there all that long (at least compared to the history of the realm), but it seems to me that Simon (Theuderik's player) has been moving the Church from being an extension of the realm to being its master over the course of his term as Pontifex, which (if I'm reading it correctly) is an impressive feat, and worthy of note.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

cjnodell

« Reply #11: May 12, 2011, 02:39:39 PM »
Thanks everyone this gives me some places to look into!

cjnodell

« Reply #12: May 12, 2011, 02:44:11 PM »
I think it is awesome the the CoI is managing to secure control of Ibladesh. Very cool. But wouldn't having the name "Church of Ibladesh" make it more difficult to repeat the process in other countries? I know that a a noble of another realm I would be more weary of a religion spreading within our borders that bears the name of another realm... Perhaps I just put a lot more weight into names that most.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #13: May 12, 2011, 02:59:05 PM »
It's no problem when all flags flown over the continent are either Ibladesh's, its enemies', or rogue.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: May 12, 2011, 05:23:42 PM »
Have you noticed Kenarth's recent complaints about Lords being chosen for piety, rather than any more pragmatic strategic or tactical considerations?

I haven't been there all that long (at least compared to the history of the realm), but it seems to me that Simon (Theuderik's player) has been moving the Church from being an extension of the realm to being its master over the course of his term as Pontifex, which (if I'm reading it correctly) is an impressive feat, and worthy of note.

And in this, you may be right. I cannot say I have been there long enough (or risen high enough in the Church) to be a good judge, I was just summing up my impressions.