Author Topic: The Death of Didymus La Pointe, Human General of the Elven Empire  (Read 1783 times)

kobetheist

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Roleplay from Didymus La Pointe 
Message sent to everyone in your realm (57 recipients)
As the rays of dawn slowly began encroaching on the mighty stone fortress of Domus, Didymus finished writing his letter and signed his name in dark crimson ink. Sitting at his dimly-lit desk, hunched over and alone in his command tent, he stared at the missive blankly for a good 10 minutes while fiddling with his seal. One by one, the flames of his candalabrum extinguished, leaving only near darkness and the pungent smell of tallow. The odor broke his vacant gaze temporarily, and he began to miss Sirion as he remembered the subtle sweetness of the beeswax he used back home. He replaced the candles, and again read and re-read the letter, lost in his thoughts. Finally, he softly spoke aloud, "No, I can't send him this letter." He paused. "But these things must be known... maybe." The General sighed and scratched his coarse, dark brown stubble.

I need another way...

A thought flashed into his mind and he immediately sat up straight. "Esquire!"

Roleplay from Didymus La Pointe 
(Personal message to Ecthelion Tezokian)
A courier approaches bearing a large Red Dragon emblem on his right shoulder and the family crest of La Pointe on his left. As he nears, he introduces himself as the trusted esquire of Didymus La Pointe, General of Sirion, Count of Hillmar, and he bows extremely respectfully. He says, "Your Excellency, Prime Minister Tezokian, I have come urgently on orders of our Lord General to remain in your service and act as your servant for whatever you may require. I also have a missive for you, my Lord, but the esteemed General has asked that the seal remain intact unless a certain event occurs."

The scroll is sealed with General Didymus' stamp with a warning written across the outer parchment and resin. It read, Do Not Open Unless The General Is Slain. Should you ever desire to break the seal and read the contents, the following letter would be found:
Prime Minister Ecthelion,

My liege, I must ask a personal favor of you and please keep this letter in secret between us, unless the things I allude to occur. I've been having very weird and telling dreams lately. All had different circumstances but the end result in every dream was my death in some battle followed by a long fall. I know this sounds strange and from nowhere but it has been affecting me somewhat, and not in the way you would imagine; I've felt liberated and almost content. I believe it's because serving Sirion is truly my greatest joy in life and to die in service of our Republic would be the culmination of an extremely fulfilling existence. I would feel sad to leave everything behind, yet I would always know in the afterlife that I had given everything I could to Sirion. Serving as General of Sirion has neither been easy nor have I done as well as I should have, but it's truly a great honor and one I'm very thankful to have been bestowed upon me. I've dreamed of living among the high elves of Sirion since I was a small boy, listening to my mother's tales in Atamara of the mighty Elven Empire of the East Continent, but I never would've believed one day I would leading the military of the realm; my heart bursts with pride just thinking about it.

I know this may be fool speak, but if I do fall in battle, today, tomorrow, or years from now, please let the realm know my feelings and that leading them in combat has been a pleasure. Should I die, I've been keeping track of the nobles in our military and have a few humble recommendations for my replacement. [ name/title ommitted* ] would likely be an excellent General if he ever wanted to give up his position as [           ],  and he has the right combination of strategy, resourcefulness, and activity to do the job properly.[            ] and [            ] round out the second tier and I'm convinced both would do well. The last name is [           ], who has been very critical at times, but I respect him immensely and he does know what he's doing. Also, [                  ], I've come to respect a great deal, and realize my earlier suspicions about her couldn't have been farther from the truth.

In closing, I'd like to say serving under you, first as knight in Sirion city, then as lord in your Duchy, and last as General has been the best time in my life, and hope to continue serving the last great realm of reason and justice for a hundred years, as many of our loyal nobles have come close to already.

Respectfully,

Didymus La Pointe
General of Sirion
Count of Hillmar

Didymus sent off his esquire quickly and made haste to the walls of Domus. As he lined his men along the fortress, he saw the assembled forces of Perdan, Perleone, and Fallangard preparing to attack the city, but he also caught a quick glimpse of his loyal servant riding off to the northeast. “Good.” The General felt at peace and prepared his men for the imminent battle, giving last minute instructions and encouragements.

The enemy armies approached under the rain of countless arrows and began attacking the walls with their horde of siege engines. The nobles of Sirion and Caligus were ready and followed their orders precisely. Didymus drew his sword, took a deep breath, and yelled, “ Don't let a single Perdanese break through, if we can't hold the walls, we have failed!”

Again, and again they hit the walls as wave after wave of enemy soldiers tried to storm the city. Yet, again and again they were sent back, thrown from the walls just in time for Didymus to clean his sword, adjust his mangled armor, and make ready for the next push.

After several hours, the bodies of dead from the combined forces of the five realms were piled up against both sides of the main gates to the city. It seemed the day was won for the defenders and almost all of the enemy invaders were routed. Didymus felt a twinge of pain from his abdomen and looked down to see a bloody gash through his tunic around his stomach, just under his chest plate. He ignored the pain; the battle was not over yet. The General led his men down the walls and charged out the gates of Domus into the remaining enemy soldiers and archers waiting just outside. As he bravely led his few remaining men and the nobles of Sirion and Caligus into a full run at the last of their foes, Didymus never saw the arrow coming that pierced his armor and buried itself in his heart. The General would not live to see 40. He died nearly instantaneously and fell to the bloody earth with a hard thud.

Roleplay from Ecthelion Tezokian [RP used with permission of the player of Ecthelion]
Message sent to everyone in your realm (58 recipients)
In the palace of Sirion, in the Prime Minister's inner most chambers, he sits at a desk lit by a single candle. It seemed to all happen suddenly; First, the esquire of General Didymus delivers a sealed letter with the instruction from the General himself to not open it except in the event of his demise. Seemingly moments later to his recollection now... another messenger arrives with news of the battle of Domus and more importantly, the fall of General Didymus during the struggle.

Now... hours later, a Prime Minister who has rarely hesitated about anything before sits at his desk... mulling over the wax seal of the Red Dragon that sits on the parchment, still seeming warm to the touch even though it had cooled long ago. At last, the courage has somehow been mustered up to break the seal and open the letter. As he does so, each crinkle and crackle the paper makes as it's unfold feels like a dagger slashing out from the surrounding darkness of the room. Taking several pauses to endure the pain, the letter is finally unraveled in all of it's majesty.

Reading each word carefully several times, he eventually finishes the letter several times over, and it falls from his hands to the floor. He slowly assembles the strength to stand and throws on a formal coat over the casual robes he's in, and opens the doors, seeing General Didymus's esquire that has now been transferred to the Prime Minister's service per the late General's authority stand quickly.

"The Senate must be assembled for an emergency session immediately. Come, you will assist me."

With a quick half-bow, the esquire follows behind the Prime Minister, having no idea what awaits.

In a large ceremony, your family commemorates the dead Didymus, a legend known all over the world. For days, the family graveyard swarms with his friends and admirers. Artists compose songs and poems about him, and young maidens cry in their chambers.

*I left out the names and positions of the characters in Didymus' emo death leatter because they don't really concern the RP and might (doubtfully) have some IC implications.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 05:47:27 AM by kobetheist »

Zakilevo

Damn. I envy Didymus. My heroes just won't die...

It has been nice knowing Didymus. I should have made Zakilevo a hero long time ago. Would have been so much better to die in a battle than to have a retirement.

kobetheist

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Yeah, it worked out pretty perfectly. I think the lesson here is that if you send a RP or message predicting your hero's death 10 minutes before turn change where a big battle is going to occur, the magic of BM will take care of the rest ;)

If Zakilevo was killed instead of retiring to a solitary life, it would have been awesome. Didymus probably would've forced a campaign just to avenge him (even if it was against rogues :) ). Zakilevo was a really good character who did a lot to try to bring newer sirionites into power, and even with his retirement, he had a huge impact on a lot of other characters who were sad/happy to see him go, especially mine who idolized and missed him.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
My character Brock does miss Didymus. He was a good military leader. I suppose the heroes all have a habit not to say death lest death unto them ::)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)