Author Topic: Decay of infrastructure from lack of population  (Read 23579 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Barca
« Reply #30: May 11, 2011, 02:26:39 AM »
That is a mighty big assumption you're making there, and a rather incorrect one. Now when have I ever been misleading on mechanics?

No, it's correct. I saw that blood-stained altar in your closet.

It was a joke.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #31: May 11, 2011, 02:53:12 AM »
I have an itching feeling that some people actually think that seriously though. ...Both parts. And that is a bit unsettling. Not sure if they're aware that I am in fact capable of OOC/IC separation (Woah, shock, huh?) for the latter. And for the former...Let's just say I know how lots of links work (Because I've tried them out and recorded what happened on a notepad file...) and what happens in certain situations (Did I mention notepad is your friend?), even without having access to the code like Anaris and Foundation and Tom, because I make wild guesses that happen to be less incorrect than somewhat correct. I also keep notes of observations that are obscure (So no, I'm not that obsessed that I would actually make a spreadsheet of links corresponding to their game-mechanics effects with subsheets linked to the different options for some pages with a dropdown menu. No, I'm not using strangely specific denial either. I really don't have such a spreadsheet, and even if I did I wouldn't share it with you.)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: May 11, 2011, 04:31:30 AM »
I thank you for that stimulating answer. But it says nothing about how it is possible the centres decay when they are barely used.

If you aren't using a building, it is fair to assume that no one is up keeping it either. Similar to decrepit unused buildings in almost any city in the world. The game is assuming that the production of the region is being put to other uses, and as no one is doing building maintenance, the building is decaying. Pretty simple.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: May 11, 2011, 06:41:58 AM »
Alternatively, grues.

That probably explains it.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: May 11, 2011, 11:25:39 AM »
Alternatively, grues.

That probably explains it.

I would only believe that if there are different decay rates between the day and night turn. Also, there should be a phase offset between the different continents to account for time zones, and polar zones should see a seasonal effect on top. By looking at the decay rates, maybe we can finally figure out the exact latitude and longitude of the different continents?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #35: May 11, 2011, 01:14:37 PM »
Barca has allies who can protect Rettleville, who might also be capable of supplying it with food. That way, while Rettleville is essentially empty of Barcan facilities, foreign aid can keep it alive. That should be the essence of a colony, you know. The British didn't stay in America for almost two hundred years just because they thought it was fun, yeah?
Foreign aid keeps us alive. But after almost 100 days still not being able to have at least one recruitment centre of your own and a blacksmith. That is the bare minimum any realm should have.

If you aren't using a building, it is fair to assume that no one is up keeping it either. Similar to decrepit unused buildings in almost any city in the world. The game is assuming that the production of the region is being put to other uses, and as no one is doing building maintenance, the building is decaying. Pretty simple.
We are using it, only due to the lowered production, we do not acquire new recruits at the same rate as other regions/realms. And while the building exists, we are paying for its maintenance. If there are not enough people to maintain the building, how could we have constructed it in the first place?
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: May 11, 2011, 01:25:58 PM »
Save Thysan, save the world! That's the region that will have to support some recruitment centers, not Rettleville. Rettleville won't be doing anything until you got the City's support settled. Of course, not the easiest task with the Rogue Forces having a party in Rettlewood.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #37: May 11, 2011, 01:28:34 PM »
You might want to delay your arrival. Some rogue forces are moving to Rettleville and we will have to defend our walls. Of course, I do not know how much cs you bring, but we can not aid you if you arrive in Rettlewood at sunset.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: May 11, 2011, 01:42:32 PM »
I should be fine in Echiur then ;)

Anyway, that probably should be handled IC.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: May 11, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »
Foreign aid keeps us alive. But after almost 100 days still not being able to have at least one recruitment centre of your own and a blacksmith. That is the bare minimum any realm should have.
We are using it, only due to the lowered production, we do not acquire new recruits at the same rate as other regions/realms. And while the building exists, we are paying for its maintenance. If there are not enough people to maintain the building, how could we have constructed it in the first place?

If you have a large manor, but are only utilising a few rooms, then without a regular and extensive maintenance program it is likely those rooms will fall into disrepair. The damage may be so significant that it would cause structural damage to the rest of the building. If you MUST have a RP reason for something that is place for game balance reasons, then perhaps something along those lines will suit. Building and Maintenance are two very different task by the way. Building is a finite task, after which the work force can be tasked to other jobs. Maintenance is ongoing. It is quite plausible to be able to build something and then find you cannot spare the required workforce to maintain it.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: May 11, 2011, 05:24:15 PM »
That is a mighty big assumption you're making there, and a rather incorrect one. Now when have I ever been misleading on mechanics?

Its not in what you say, but how you say it. Put it down to your anti-charisma ;)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #41: May 11, 2011, 05:29:08 PM »
Am I hearing a challenge? I think I am.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: May 11, 2011, 05:40:21 PM »
A challenge good sir? Nay, 'tis but a banana. Rather oddly shaped, but still, there it is.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #43: May 11, 2011, 05:59:29 PM »
My flesh wounds will heal fast enough. I'll be back. To buy food from Barca.

cjnodell

« Reply #44: May 11, 2011, 07:55:50 PM »
I completely agree that the whole string of posts relating to "How does population/production affect building damage/repair" should be discussed somewhere else. Perhaps the Helpline forum.