Author Topic: Decay of infrastructure from lack of population  (Read 23644 times)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
You aren't mentioning other ways cities are different from regions, namely they gain peasants faster.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
I'd like to argue that. I do not know if it is because of the new immigration system, but Rettleville receives 20-35 peasants per day, while Rettlewood, when still under our control had counts above the 100 per day.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I'd like to argue that. I do not know if it is because of the new immigration system, but Rettleville receives 20-35 peasants per day, while Rettlewood, when still under our control had counts above the 100 per day.

Cities on Dwilight can suffer badly under the new immigration code. Apart from births, they rely on the surrounding townsland to provide immigrants. If that townsland is under populated I would assume immigration can be rather slow.  For Rettlwville to grow at its maximum potential you will need to hold Rettlewood and some other surrounding regions in order to secure a steady immigrant supply. If you can grab some regions that border fully populated regions, then they should grow even faster and that should trickle through your realm as well.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
You would be surprised at how fast cities can grow if surrounded by well populated regions or if it itself is semi-well populated.  They naturally grow faster than regions, but that doesn't mean they grow faster at all times or in all circumstances.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
You aren't mentioning other ways cities are different from regions, namely they gain peasants faster.

I completely reject this notion. Cities grow in population number faster only, but much, much slower for population ratio. And it's the ratio that determines production. Between a 1500 max pop rural and a 500000 max pop city, which do you think will reach 100% population and production first? The rural. It may be dirt poor, but it'll be able to handle much more infrastructure than the city for an extremely long period of time.

Which is, imho, absurd.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
I completely reject this notion. Cities grow in population number faster only, but much, much slower for population ratio. And it's the ratio that determines production. Between a 1500 max pop rural and a 500000 max pop city, which do you think will reach 100% population and production first? The rural. It may be dirt poor, but it'll be able to handle much more infrastructure than the city for an extremely long period of time.

Which is, imho, absurd.

This is such a biased comparison.  I agree that the ratio is slightly lower, but please, use at least mildly accurate numbers...  average rural is around 2500-4000 peasants, and average cities have around 40000-60000 peasants.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Cities on Dwilight can suffer badly under the new immigration code. Apart from births, they rely on the surrounding townsland to provide immigrants. If that townsland is under populated I would assume immigration can be rather slow.  For Rettlwville to grow at its maximum potential you will need to hold Rettlewood and some other surrounding regions in order to secure a steady immigrant supply. If you can grab some regions that border fully populated regions, then they should grow even faster and that should trickle through your realm as well.

That would make a future colony of Darfix almost impossible unless Astrum first expands towards the city.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile

Rettlewood borders Maeotis, which is half-full. We've seen peasants from Maeotis emigrate away to other lands, so that's why you see higher numbers. Thysan would receive peasants from Paisland and Maeotis and any Terran lands that are recovered.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
Rettlewood borders Maeotis, which is half-full. We've seen peasants from Maeotis emigrate away to other lands, so that's why you see higher numbers. Thysan would receive peasants from Paisland and Maeotis and any Terran lands that are recovered.

Yes, Thysan is growing incredibly fast.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
That would make a future colony of Darfix almost impossible unless Astrum first expands towards the city.

That's pretty much the same conclusion we came to a many months ago when we decided to make another try at Darfix.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Barca
« Reply #70: May 17, 2011, 12:41:29 AM »
I know that medieval buildings aren't as architectural advanced as modern buildings

Excuse me?

(sorry if someone else reacted on this before, I didn't go through the whole threat - just started on top)

egamma

Re: Re: Barca
« Reply #71: May 17, 2011, 02:34:34 PM »
Excuse me?

(sorry if someone else reacted on this before, I didn't go through the whole threat - just started on top)

Sprinkler systems, fire alarms, flame-resistant building materials, earthquake-resistant building materials, better locks, glass windows...perhaps those aren't "architectural" advancements, but they are worth mentioning in this thread.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Well yes. But there's nothing more 'architectural' about a modern, concrete square building than about a Gothic church.

Though dwellings weren't very durable.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
Well yes. But there's nothing more 'architectural' about a modern, concrete square building than about a Gothic church.

Though dwellings weren't very durable.

You're comparing the top end of one era against the bottom end of another. Rather compare the church to a sky-scraper.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
How long will the skyscrapers last? Look at the Tsjernobyl sarcophagus, meant to be very durable: 20 years later it needs urgent repairs or it will fall apart. (though admittedly, that's no skyscraper :) )

I'm really doubting any skyscraper will last 500 years, even if it's left alone. And the gothic church will just stand beside and laugh :)

Besides, modern architecture is all about how much you're going to reinforce the concrete. There's no art in that (though some modern buildings are very beautiful.)