Author Topic: T Minus 28 Days  (Read 105705 times)

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: T Minus 28 Days
« Reply #150: March 01, 2014, 02:21:44 PM »
Give it time; on Dwilight at least it seems that the event is starting in the north (if Qadan's OOC in the SA channel is indicative), so if you aren't in Morek or Niselur (possibly Astrum) then you probably won't have heard anything even though it's officially started.

That or it's not happening on Dwilight but the last message I got seemed to indicate we'd be getting "breeding grounds" like happen on Beluaterra during an invasion.
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151: March 01, 2014, 03:11:06 PM »
I know the poll looked at islands, but to forestall the inevitable (pointed) questions, I would be interested in knowing how the north/south and east/west decisions were made.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #152: March 01, 2014, 03:12:59 PM »
On Atamara, North was chosen because it was the direction obviously closer to the polar ice cap.

On EC and FEI, South was chosen by the polls.

On Dwilight, West was chosen for historical reasons (the West was dominated by monsters for much longer).
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #153: March 01, 2014, 03:55:23 PM »
Can you tell us how much, exactly will be covered? And is there anything our characters can do to reduce or increase the area?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #154: March 01, 2014, 03:59:28 PM »
Can you tell us how much, exactly will be covered?

I'm thinking about that, and I'm going to discuss it with the dev team. Right now I'm leaning towards releasing an estimate.

And is there anything our characters can do to reduce or increase the area?

Characters? No.

What would increase or decrease the amount covered is changes in the overall noble-per-region density of the island. So if you can get 50 more people to join the Far East—people who will actually stick around—then we might well stop the glacier early.

If, on the other hand, we get large numbers of people just leaving the continent or leaving the game, we may have to keep them moving farther.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #155: March 01, 2014, 04:10:19 PM »
What would increase or decrease the amount covered is changes in the overall noble-per-region density of the island. So if you can get 50 more people to join the Far East—people who will actually stick around—then we might well stop the glacier early.

If, on the other hand, we get large numbers of people just leaving the continent or leaving the game, we may have to keep them moving farther.

So long as the Dev team is patient with it (I'm assuming so, since it is a moving glacier). I've already emigrated 1 noble, and I'm sure there will others shuffling about until noble density stabilizes after regions freeze. If the western side of Dwilight is cleared, it could take quite some time.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #156: March 01, 2014, 04:12:16 PM »
So long as the Dev team is patient with it (I'm assuming so, since it is a moving glacier). I've already emigrated 1 noble, and I'm sure there will others shuffling about until noble density stabilizes after regions freeze. If the western side of Dwilight is cleared, it could take quite some time.

Yeah; we're hoping that at least a significant number of nobles from Western Dwilight move to Eastern Dwilight. In general, though, as long as a large proportion of players don't leave the game, even with some redistribution the reduction in regions should significantly increase the noble density in the remainder of the regions.

And yes, glaciers move slowly. No worries about it gliding along at a rate of a region per turn or something like that ;D
Timothy Collett

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #157: March 01, 2014, 04:31:40 PM »
Haha Atamara has a giant ice-block hovering above it  :P

The rogues have spawned in Dwilight on quite a large scale, at least in Barca.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #158: March 01, 2014, 04:42:24 PM »
Given that it's monsters rather than a glacier in western Dwilight, does this mean the western Dwilight realms will be able to fight them off with enough strength, or will the regions just become completely inaccessible?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #159: March 01, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »
Given that it's monsters rather than a glacier in western Dwilight, does this mean the western Dwilight realms will be able to fight them off with enough strength, or will the regions just become completely inaccessible?

I think that they will have to fight much, much harder than they are likely to be able to if they want to do more than delay the inevitable.
Timothy Collett

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #160: March 01, 2014, 04:46:41 PM »
Will it be fast or gradual augmentation of monsters ?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #161: March 01, 2014, 04:48:03 PM »
Will it be fast or gradual augmentation of monsters ?

Mostly gradual, though you should see another spike over the next few turns, similar to the one a month ago.
Timothy Collett

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #162: March 01, 2014, 04:49:13 PM »
Honesty, I would have liked better not knowing what were happening!!! To know what and how much is going to be "frozen" destroy greatly the interest of the "ice age".

Not more fighting for the human survival, now we know no island is going to be destroyed... we only have to wait to see these regions iced, knowing the ice only will destroy a part of the island.

Bhranthan

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #163: March 01, 2014, 05:09:40 PM »
General activity, amount of border wars and noble density is and have been higher in the south then in the north of the ec.
Both fallangard and Eponllyn have atracted more then average noble counts as well as prooving to be a intresting source of conflicts , developments  both diplomatically, and culturally.

Things are starting to become intresting since a long time as players gather who simply want real wars instead of conserving some kind of horrible status qou.

Ifanything should freeze its sirion, perdan and those useless islands we got since last gm event there.
Brutus the Brute - Kleptes the Thief - Atreus the Brave - Alucina the Lucid

Zadar

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #164: March 01, 2014, 05:17:02 PM »
Agreed on that.

Material blatantly insulting to the dev team removed.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:24:22 PM by Anaris »
A plan without a goal, is just a wish .