Author Topic: T Minus 28 Days  (Read 105423 times)

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
Re: T Minus 28 Days
« Reply #165: March 01, 2014, 05:43:11 PM »
Being from Darka I can't say I'm entirely happy with this. To be taken down by a game event..bleh..

But so it goes.

Now just trying to decide whether to hope for all of Darka to be iced away or to have it go on with maybe Azzal left..
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Lychaon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #166: March 01, 2014, 05:53:20 PM »
West-Side is cooler than East-Side! Everybody knows!  ;D

Truth is I'd definitely let monsters spawn in the eastern island of Dwilight, where I think there've not been so many intense and catchy conflicts for a long time as far as I know, but that's just my opinion. On the other side, Dwilight's colonisation started there, it has some sense that a re-colonization goes back to the origin in that sense.

Anyway, it'd be really sad for me to see Barca fall under monster pressure. We'll see what happens.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #167: March 01, 2014, 06:48:37 PM »
Upon complaints about realms/regions suffering as they get more interesting, we devs took absolute care to ensure that we made no decisions based on current island politics, but on methods that resulted in an impartial choice on our part. Hence, those north/south polls. As someone who plays in Eponllyn and Lyonesse, it was not easy realizing you'd lose 'your realm', but at the same time, it is good to look forward to a more dynamic battlemaster like in the days of old. Situations like Eponllyn/Fallangard/Perleone can still continue to develop based on past diplomatic efforts, but there is now a new impetus for action. Will it divide the south or unify it?

And now, my frustration at Lyonesse losing Hawthorne by treason can finally be realized for the true harm it did to us beyond just island politics. :P

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #168: March 01, 2014, 06:54:32 PM »
General activity, amount of border wars and noble density is and have been higher in the south then in the north of the ec.

The hope of the dev team is that, much like migrations in the real world did, due to the slowness of this event, those affected will have plenty of time to pack up their things and conquer new land - especially if those other realms are weak and inactive and what not...

People forced out of their lands by whatever cause have always been the source of much conflict in the real world. So if you want to keep your realm, one option is to simply shift it away from the incoming ice age.

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #169: March 01, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »
Sheesh all this whining. It's basically the dark clouds of BT back during the 5th invasion.

sharkattack

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #170: March 01, 2014, 07:20:37 PM »
Why not spawn monsters on Dwilight on all sides of the world to compress it instead of choosing to !@#$ up one whole side.

Roran

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #171: March 01, 2014, 07:22:24 PM »
Gawd Dayum, all of my characters are in danger zones. I'm still deciding between being sad or looking forward to it. It'll be sad to see Barca being thorn asunder, as it basically IS my first realm ever.

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #172: March 01, 2014, 07:30:40 PM »
The hope of the dev team is that, much like migrations in the real world did, due to the slowness of this event, those affected will have plenty of time to pack up their things and conquer new land - especially if those other realms are weak and inactive and what not...

People forced out of their lands by whatever cause have always been the source of much conflict in the real world. So if you want to keep your realm, one option is to simply shift it away from the incoming ice age.

I am going to be quite disappointed if I get to watch Barca be pushed out of its lands by monsters, but at the same time I was getting a bit bored of the game anyway (I've just never really been able to get into RPing very much, but I still love this game) and I am looking forward to this. Especially on Atamara where things are a bit too comfortable (I have never played on FEI or EC so I have no idea what they are like), although I do feel a bit bad for some of the realms who will be losing their 'homelands' to a game event rather than player action (but then again it does mean they can blame an ice age for their fall and boast about how they couldn't have been defeated otherwise!).

Although I feel that the east side of Dwilight could also use some shaking up, but I am biased :p
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 07:41:28 PM by Ossan »
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #173: March 01, 2014, 08:15:24 PM »
We realize that losing to a game event sucks. But we had to do something about the dropping density. With this event, rather than a "boom, bye" island sinking, we give players a chance to play it out and ultimately decide if and which realms die.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #174: March 01, 2014, 08:22:36 PM »
I don't understand why we couldn't simply get rid of one continent in stead of screwing over every one of them.

The only character not loosing everything he has is a simple knight in which I invest the least time.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Zakilevo

« Reply #175: March 01, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »
I don't know why people think Eastern Dwilight won't be shaken by this event.

Just look at Roman Empire. It took a big hit by the Great German migration. Everyone knows how much influence you can have with a large group of people supporting you in any realm. Do you know how much chaos you can create by having 20-30 people following you into a realm with only 30 people?

Look at Barca and Asylon. Barca has 39 nobles and Asylon has 42. They both have more nobles than any of Eastern realms. With that many people, the realms Barcans and Asylonians are forced to migrate will either have to do their best to integrate those people into their realms or split a portion of their realm to let them have their own land instead of trying to take their realm over.

I am sorry to say this but something had to be done and the dev team came up with a solution. They've been trying to come up with a solution for a long time and even asked us, players, occasionally. Many people didn't even bother with it so why complain now?

Let this event play out and see if it works out as intended. If not, then we can discuss on that and try to figure out a solution. All these complains and whining won't make the game any better or make anyone happy.

DasYasha

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #176: March 01, 2014, 08:24:24 PM »
We realize that losing to a game event sucks. But we had to do something about the dropping density. With this event, rather than a "boom, bye" island sinking, we give players a chance to play it out and ultimately decide if and which realms die.

It doesn't suck if it is your own fault. In other words, if those realms affected get them destroyed by themselfs and are forever gone after that, that is quite fine. That is the spirit of the game, like in Belueterra. I liked that how it played out as players themselfs got a fair change and outcome was more or less based on that. This was actually what I was expecting this time. But currently it doesn't seem to be so.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #177: March 01, 2014, 08:24:37 PM »
I'm thinking about that, and I'm going to discuss it with the dev team. Right now I'm leaning towards releasing an estimate.

Characters? No.

What would increase or decrease the amount covered is changes in the overall noble-per-region density of the island. So if you can get 50 more people to join the Far East—people who will actually stick around—then we might well stop the glacier early.

If, on the other hand, we get large numbers of people just leaving the continent or leaving the game, we may have to keep them moving farther.

Tim,

Let me get this straight so the Tom and the Dev team idea of solving the lack of noble problem came to this? I'm not opposed to the game event. However, you basically saying go out and recruit for the game or else well were going to reduce the playable regions, we are going to let this ice sheet cover the regions until we get players back then well let things heat up and let it recede...

I'm thinking well eventually have a few maps covered with glaciers... so basically it's on us as players to keep our respected continents alive. To maintain and attempt to increase our play density... something completely uncontrollable ...

Let me ask the Dev Team... What are you doing to get more players to join BattleMaster? Is the game even being marketed anymore? Tell us what your going to to get us more players! That's something we want answered if this such game event is going to go through.

Worked up, yup. Another bandaid idea...
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Zakilevo

« Reply #178: March 01, 2014, 08:29:19 PM »
Tim,

Let me get this straight so the Tom and the Dev team idea of solving the lack of noble problem came to this? I'm not opposed to the game event. However, you basically saying go out and recruit for the game or else well were going to reduce the playable regions, we are going to let this ice sheet cover the regions until we get players back then well let things heat up and let it recede...

I'm thinking well eventually have a few maps covered with glaciers... so basically it's on us as players to keep our respected continents alive. To maintain and attempt to increase our play density... something completely uncontrollable ...

Let me ask the Dev Team... What are you doing to get more players to join BattleMaster? Is the game even being marketed anymore? Tell us what your going to to get us more players! That's something we want answered if this such game event is going to go through.

Worked up, yup. Another bandaid idea...

Are you really expecting Tom to market a free game? Well if this game made a considerable profit for Tom, I am sure he would have done so long ago but I think this game is probably nothing more than another red number line for Tom's balance.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179: March 01, 2014, 08:34:52 PM »
Interestingly, the problem that I now have is how to reconcile my IC with OOC knowledge. Because IC I know that Brackern would continue fighting until the last man. But OOC I know it would be better to organise our realm together with Asylon (with all our gold) and then go somewhere and stomp someone...