Author Topic: The Trials and Tribulations of Usul Soul's Life  (Read 12439 times)

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Ladislav returned again to cause mischief and was caught attempting to assasinate the General...

Roleplay from Usul Soul

Visit

"Erasmus, whats that smell? It seems familiar"
"There M'Lord. You have a guest" Erasmus pointed to the newly occupied cell.

"Ladislav!" Usul cried out, "What are doing here?"
Usul reads the report
"You are herby charged with the attempted assasination of General Willhelm of Cathay. You are also charged with previous attempts of.......blah blah..."

"This is your chance now to give me a reason why I should not execute you. Answer quickly, your time is short"

Roleplay from Usul Soul

Visit

Ladislav this is your lucky day. I am not going to torture you or execute you. This is a shame because there are many who have already made their claims for several of your body parts. I could have made quite some gold.

Instead you are going to a far away place. If I see you here again I will not hesitate to kill you my friend. Why I am so curteous to you I cannot say, I should have killed you long ago.
If you happen to see my Brother Logar on Dwilight, tell him I sent him a gift, he is deserved of a filthy rat like you.

*A hood is placed over his head and Ladislav is dragged out of the cell and taken to the docks...*
"...Together We Stand, Divided We Fall!..." -- 'Hey You', Pink Floyd

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
When Sir Cael was caught as an infiltrator, he was intoxicated through the heavy use of magic fungi. Was his crime intentional? or was he truly posessed by demon mushrooms who made him do it?

You are the reader, you can choose to believe whatever you want :)

Letter from a prisoner
Prisoner Cael has sent you a letter:

These cells could really use a cushion or two...

Visit

Erasmus entered the cell with a comfortable looking red silk cushion in his hand. He pushes Cael to the ground, kneels over him and forces the cushion over his face, smothering him whilst Cael twitched uncontrollably beneath the weight. Erasmus released him moments before unconciousness set in causing Cael to gasp and cough in horror.

"Traitors are not lavished with the comforts of regular prisoners. Do not disturb the Chancellor again!"

As Erasmus turned to leave the cell with the cushion in hand, he slides a plate of cheese across the floor "Here, keep your strength up, it will allow you to wriggle in your noose for much longer"

Letter from a prisoner
Prisoner Cael has sent you a letter:

While the man was leaning over Cael, he felt thankful that they had not thought to shackle his feet, for whatever reason. He managed to kick the man soundly in the crotch, but it did not receive much response.
Was this judge in truth a man, or someone masquerading as one?!

Visit

Erasmus locked the cell door behind him, stared through the bars at Cael picking himself from the floor, exhausted. Not a word was spoken for several moments as they both glared at each other. The silence was broken when Erasmus offered an evil grin whilst his face took on a strange composure. His features changed slightly morphing into a strange expression: cheek bones sunk, eyes wide taking on a bloodshot appearance and veins throbbing boldy "May the Lord Zraath show no mercy to the sinful!"

Moments after his announcement Erasmus's demon/humanlike features returned to a pure human state as he turned and left to report to Chancellor Usul that the prisoner had been silenced and fed.

Prisoner escaped
Cael has vanished from his cell in Anacan! The guards are being questioned and witnesses searched, but it is likely that he has already left the city.

Letter from Cael of Burgundy
High Chancellor,

I must admit that I was sorely confused...I had sought to assassinate a Sorrainian...and somehow lost my way in the dark. I will have to lay off those mushrooms that I recently found...I send my apologies. There is nothing that could convince me to fight against those fighting against Zonasa.

Cael of Burgundy

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
After leaving Battlemaster for some time, I have returned and continued my old characters.
Usul returned to find Cathay and the Far East continent sunk, so emigrated to Beluaterra. He joined Gotland, a tyranny realm.

And so the Trials and Tribulations of Usul's Life continues...

The estate of Steelhead where Usul now resided consisted of a moderately sized manorhouse with a small outhouse building which could barely be considered as the stable; housing just 4 steeds at best. The meadows surrounding the house within its stone border were ferociously overgrown with tall grasses and brambles-- a wasteland.
Perfect! Usul thought.
"What a boghole!" Erasmus chortled out loud.
"Erasmus, go into the local hamlets and round up some workers" Usul ordered, "...I'm feeling generous today, offer them a small daily wage and a free meal"
"As you wish M'Lord" Erasmus obeyed
" I want this place to be bare within 3 days".

Stood atop of the hill overlooking his estate, Usul watched as his peasant workforce continued to clear the overgrown scrub down to bare soil. Erasmus approached from behind and stood next to his Master.
"Bread and broth seems to be a rather effective currency" Erasmus commented.
"Indeed my loyal friend, they are scavengers these filthy animals" Usul replied, "Any news of the whereabouts of Usaath?"
"No news yet M'Lord, the creature is still rather evasive. Although I have heard reports that an person of his description has debarked from a ship on this very continent"
"That is well Erasmus, I shall summon him soon enough if he has lost his way."

Erasmus began to walk away, paused then returned
"Ahh M'Lord there is one more thing" Erasmus reported, " One of the workers has stumbled upon something interesting. I believe we have found a suitable location"
"Ahh excellent Erasmus!" Usul congratulated, "Take me to it..."

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
During his time in Gotland, Usul and the rest of the continent learned of the Daemon Lord Akkan, who had made himself present on the continent and began to unleash his wrath upon man.

"Erasmus my friend come on in"
Erasmus entered, approached the desk and stood tall, looking down upon Usul. Eyes fixated upon one anothers, they stared as if speaking without words.
"I know that look Usul" Erasmus stated, "It's time isn't it?"
"Yes my friend it's time" Usul replied.

Usul motioned Erasmus to the altar which supported the huge bulk-- that being the ancient Book of Zraath, gifted to him the day he and Erasmus had met back in the days of old Cathay.
Erasmus read the passage than was being shown, and understood. The passage contained scriptures describing in detail of a demon, once a servant of the Dark Lord Zraath himself. It went on to explain how the demon had attained a degree of power before betraying the Dark Lord. The demon was known by the name of Arkan-- and he failed to bring down the riegn of Zraath.
"This figure who has threatened this island...he goes by the name of Akkan, does he not?" Erasmus questioned
"You see the similaritiy as I do" Usul replied, "It could be him..."
They both stared again at each other intensely...
"Then we must find him!" Erasmus boldy announced.

Usul then summoned Erasmus to the window where he looked out upon his estate.
He waved his hand out in a sweeping motion whilst describing what he saw. "Look there!" he yelled, "goats everywhere!" pointing out the flocks of goats scattered across the barren land surrounding the manor. "We cleared the fields bare! Soil is all that remains, so why do they still come?"
Unable to contain his amusement Erasmus replied with an uncontrollable chuckle "I..I don't know m'lord", then bowed his head to resist the humour.
"Look!, they are all looking at me as if they plot some evil deed against me!" Usul bellowed. He picked up a vase and launched it out of the window at a goat below smashing to pieces on the ground when the goat stepped aside to avoid it. "Bleeeh...!" came a yell from the goat, clearly directed at Usul.

When that moment had passed Usul pulled his attention away from the window and walked back to his desk and sat.
"If this Akkan character truly is the Demigod Arkan, he could be the key to fulfilling the prophesy of the all powerful Zraath" Usul continued to debate.
"Then we must get close to him and find out his purpose-- to know whether to embrace him...or KILL him!" Erasmus expressed "Where are we to go from here, M'lord?" he asked.
"The closest contact to this supposed false god Akkan... Spearhold!" Usul replied.

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
It was decided that they needed to meet the Daemon Lord Akkan face to face. After Usul sent a letter to his Vice-Marshal Thesseus explaining his need to leave, he orderd Erasmus to prepare for their departure to Spearhold-- The realm loyal to Akkan.

"Pack our things Erasmus, we need to move out" Usul commanded, "Oh and slay a couple of them evil goats from my lawn, we need some food for the journey ahead"
"What of the monster flesh in the stores?"
"They are rotten, offer them to the local peasants" Usul replied, "They will be thankful"
"As you wish M'Lord" Erasmus obeyed, Then turned to leave.
"I will do the honour of addressing the council before I leave" Usul called out, halting Erasmus in his tracks. Erasmus turned and announced "Ummm I forgot to mention M'Lord....Here is a letter from the Whip-Master...It seems that the Vice-Marshal has made accusations of treachery and treason against you. You are already being called to Council!"

Aghast! Usul slammed his fist on the desk causing the inkwell to spill, running, drip drip upon his lap. "Dammit! I should have known better that to send him that letter...The young lad has a wild imagination and thinks me now a demon. Continue to make preparations for our departure Erasmus, I shalt prepare to meet Council."

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Usul had been summoned to Council to defend his actions against the accusations set upon him by Vice-Marshal Thesseus. He went to face the music, whilst Erasmus packed and prepared for their departure.

The accuser Vice-marshal Thesseus, and the accused Marshal Usul enter the chanber and take to thier pedestals in front of the Council.

After the accusations were read out to him, Usul spoke out his defence

Council!

I place my hand to my chest and wish to announce that much of what Vice-Marshal Thesseus hath stated is true.
However, there are some other rather important statements which have either been confused, or are simply untrue. I shalt continue...

It is true that I worship an ancient deity.
It is true that I have in possession a book of notable importance, possibly even written by the hand of Zraath himself. Dangerous? Surely that is a matter of opinion and shouldn't be based on pure assumption.
It is true that I seek the Akkan figure known to have arrived on this island and threatens the existence of man.
It is also true that to begin my journey, I plan to mingle amongst the people of Spearhold.

Untrue I am a demon.
Untrue I arrived here in Gotland for evil purposes.
Untrue I plan to set demons upon Gotland once taking up residence in Spearhold.
Untrue I am a traitor to the nobility of Gotland.

I present to the Council, a copy of the very letter I sent to the Vice-Marshal. Fire paper is rather time costly and time consuming to produce, so of course I have a written draft copy. Although a draft, it is word for word accurate to the final copy sent to Thesseus. I welcome him to confirm this.

Letter from Usul Soul
(Personal message to Thesseus Polytus)
Vice-Marshal Thesseus,

I write to you to explain my intentions. You at least deserve that honour, for those I leave behind will look to you for command... or perhaps not as will be more likely the case. This unruly bunch of goats seem to relish the idea of running around without order. Neither of us have been in Gotland for very long; you yourself joined here a very short time after myself. I came to these lands after the destruction and sinking of the island I once belonged. I had high hopes for Gotland and hoped that in will be a permanent place of residence for me. Alas! it is not so.

A demon named Arkan was once a servant to the Dark Lord Zraath, according to the ancient scriptures written in the Book of Zraath currently resting upon my alter. The name Arkan bears a coincidental ressemblance to the new evil that hath been born on this island, by the name of Akkan. Arkan betrayed Zraath and the Black Sun Temple and I now wonder if this Akkan figure is this very betrayer. I must find this out! for it may be my opportunity to gain closer access to the Dark Lord himself that is Zraath.
Whether I embrace this Akkan, or I shalt slay him remains to be seen. The next part of my long journey is Spearhold.

This message was written on the paper of fire and will errupt in flames once read.

I wish you much luck young Marshal!

Usul Soul
Knight of Gethsemene
Marshal of the Goathorde

Council,
the idea that I came here with ill-intent is propostrous! Where from my words of the letter can one gain that assumption. It is true that I had hoped to make permanent residence here, but unfortunately Gotland cannot not offer me all that I seek. I can assure the Council though, that during my time here, I have performed my duties as one would expect. My intentions have always been for the good and benefit of the realm and its people...that nobody can deny.
On that particular basis, where does the accusation of treachery and treason fit in. It doesn't!

Can the Council not see from my letter that I sent it in good faith? notifying the Vice-Marshal of my intentions so that he may be more prepared for his own duties.
M'Lords and Ladies, Thessius is young and can be forgiven for his naivety and over-imagination. I hold no ill thoughts against him, for he is yet to experience many more fearful things than a simple burning letter. The accusations strewn at my feet bears no weight, no more weight than an accusation against Thesseus; that he might be a spy for Akkan.

If I may be forgiven for being blunt-- It truly matters not whether the Council considers me for banishment or not, I shalt be leaving regardless. This hearing only contributes to delaying my departure.
I simply request the Council to consider this: When I meet Akkan face to face, there will likely be one of two possible outcomes...Akkan will be slain, or I will be slain. If I am slain, Akkan still lives, and man will be no better nor worse off. If Akkan is slain, man can guarantee its existence will continue for a while longer.

I urge the Council to conclude this hearing swiftly, there are far more important matters at hand.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 01:00:24 PM by Logar »

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Usul waited patiently for the Councils response to his defence. After much time had elapsed still without a response, he then became impatient.

..... They spoke amongst themselves.

Usul faced the Vice-Marshal who sat on an identical pedestal directly opposite, the other side of the hall. The Council members sat upon a balcony at the farthest end, looking down into the chamber at their accused and accuser. Following Usul's opening statement; the Council members now with backs turned; debated and discussed the words they had heard.

..... The low sounds of murmuring from the balcony continued.

Day turned to night as the last of the evenings golden light slowly faded to dusk. A maid entered the chamber, moved fluidly without sound and begun giving life to the night lanterns. They filled the chamber with their orange glow casting flickering shadows upon the walls. Usul now tired and drained, drifted off into an awakened sleep. Mesmerised by the dancing shadows, he pictured each distinguishable shadow and imagined them each a character in a scene. The scene was of a battle at the walls of Old Cathay, a moving scene of flickering shadows and imagination brought life to cherished memory as it played out in his mind.

He jolted uncontrollably when he realised he was drifting into sleep. Thesseus opposite yawned, then gave himself a gentle slap to the face in an almost fruitless attempt to keep awake.

.... Yet they continued to debate in whispering tones.

When Usul awoke again, the morning light of dawn had filled the chamber. The maid entered again. With the same graceful movements as the previous evening, she begun extinguishing the night lanterns before opening a window. A cool gentle breeze could be felt, carrying with it the smell of early morning meadow. The standard dawn chorus began of the goats bleating. First a few, then a few more...until all herds of goats could be heard yelling in their droning exodus of Bleeeeehs!

The sound awoke Thesseus. From bent over, he thrust himself upright; looked around in a panic, left, right, up, down, left and right again; then realised. He slowed his heavy breathing and composed himself. After rubbing his eyes, then run fingers through his hair, he looked up at Usul opposite. Usul grinned.  The Vice-Marshal frowned, then shot his gaze to the balcony.

Movement of hand gestures could be seen, whilst shockingly the councillors were still debating quietly.

Thesseus turned to Usul again, who simply shrugged his shoulders gesturing his own bewilderment.
Suddenly Usul smirked. Thesseus pondered the meaning of Usul's sudden amusement. Then realised what was about to happen. He watched Usul get out of his chair elegently without sound, placed his Marshals drape upon the place where he had sat. Usul climbed down from the pedestal, looked at Thesseus and offered a friendly nod and gentle bow, before tip toeing quietly through the chamber door that the maid had left ajar....Usul was gone.

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Now having left the realm of Gotland (land of the goats), Usul crossed the border to join the nobles of Spearhold. To join the Brotherhood of Spearhold, one is required to offer a sacrifice of a goblet of blood to the Daemon Akkan himself. This was Usuls chance to meet the Daemon face to face, to determine if it may be friend or foe to the almighty Zraath-- The ancient deity that Usul worships.

Erasmus entered Usul's quarters and made the announcement "Our presence is required at the temple Usul...He has arrived"
"That is well my friend. Did you obtain my blood?" Usul replied
"Indeed I have. There are still bodies of beasts scattered around daisha, I did not have to look far"
"Excellent, prepare the ritual" Usul urged.

Usul stood at the alter looking down upon an open page of the book; where it rested. Erasmus ofered the silver chalise containing the blood of the beasts; Usul gracefully recieved.
He placed his hand upon the self-inscribed scarred symbol upon his chest; The symbol carved so many years ago, yet still unhealed; and began whispering a mantra in an ancient tongue. Erasmus joined in until both whispered in harmony. They stopped abruptly, followed instantly with the consumption of the blood until chalice was was bare.
At that moment, blood oozed fron the scar on his chest...

When the ritual was over they prepared theselves for the visit to the temple to offer their blood and servitude to 'He that IS'

Together they marched towards the temple, Usul and his loyal guard and friend Erasmus. As they marched Erasmus looked down upon his master and recognised how fragile he looked remembering those first days when they had met in Cathay. They had both been through so much since then.
Erasmus considered What would have become of Usul had I not shown him the book?

They arrived at the temple entrance to be met by guards blocking their entrance. A temple guardian approached and announced "Usul Soul?....You are late!. You had better pray that he is not angered, for he hath left temporary on another task. Come back when he returns. Be gone for now!"

Usul cursed "For the love of....!"
At that moment a messenger arrived handing a letter to Erasmus. He read.
"M'Lord, your presence is required by the army"

They turned about, and as they were walking away, Usul caught the eye of a young girl loitering outside of the temple; looking rather suspicious as she pretended not to see them whilst twidling with her hair. Erasmus spotted the character too, then looked at Usul with a quizzical frown...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 06:48:25 PM by Logar »

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
After missing his first opportunity to meet the Daemon Lord Akkan, Usul and Erasmus was sure not to be late at the next opportunity.

"Usul! He's here!" Erasmus charged into the tent and announced the arrival of Akkan.

After a small ritual including feasting upon the Blood of Beast, Usul and his personal guard Erasmus prepared to meet Him face to face and offer their servitude to 'He that IS'. The self-inscribed tattoo upon Usul's chest once again began to weep.

When they arrived, the Portal Temple guardians who now accompanied Akkan came forth and handed a goblet to each of them. They waited their turn whilst several other knights of the realm offered their sacrifices before them. Their turn came and they stepped forward to present themselves to Akkan.
Usul stared up to the majestic beastly daemon who stood before them. Overcome with awe, Usul stood motionless for a momenet whilst the towering figure waited paitently for the sacrifice to be made.
Erasmus nudged Usul and whispered "So that is him is it? He's not as tall as I was expecting"
Usul shot a stern gaze towards Erasmus "Now is not the time for comedy! Now fall in line!". Erasmus obeyed.

Usul took a step forward. "For you, I pledge my servitude". He unsheathed his silver ceremonial dagger. "You are the all seeing, all knowing" he contined, "You are my guide. I therefore have no need for this....". With that statement, Usul inserted the dagger into his eye socket and began to scallop. He yelled with pain, blood sparayed and oozed down his arms. Shakily he continued to carve whilst dropping to his knees. The pain was excruciating, he did not know if he could complete the task before passing out. The pain ceased, was overcome with giddiness as he felt himself close to passing out. Erasmus approached and took the blade from the quivering hand, and completed the task for his master leaving him unconcious in a heap on the floor.

Erasmus stepped forward with the dagger. He glared into the eyes of the Daemon without expression and without words. For several moments he simply stared. He then thrust the dagger fully through his wrist allowing his unusually dark blood to drain, filling the goblet below. He continued to stare without a flinch of pain. When the goblet was sufficiently full; and without breaking his gaze; he pulled the dagger out and licked the blade clean before resheathing it. Now he picked up both goblets; one with an eye floating within; and placed them at the feet of Akkan.
Erasmus stepped back; stared once more into the eyes of the Daemon looking down upon him; gently bowed and turned. He picked up Usul's unconcious body with one hand, threw him over his shoulder and casually strolled away without looking back.

Roleplay from Akkan

Akkan had accepted a variety of knights' goblets, as Usul and Erasmus approached. Proceeding with their antics, Akkan made a clicking sound all the while. Usul proceeding first, Akkan watched, unamused. Erasmus next, Akkan, watched him leave without moving. Sampling Erasmus's blood hesitantly, he drank perhaps a fifth before recoiling, then lashing out at the goblet, throwing it to a distant quarter. He didn't neglect to gather the remaining blood from the air before it fell to the ground though. An intense wave of heat accompanied the thrown goblet. Storming away, Usul's goblet was untouched.

Amongst the foul sound of Akkan's shouting, a cross between the roars of tiger and crocodile, was heard the names Usul and Erasmus

It seems that Akkan may have taken a disliking to Erasmus in particular...

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
man, usul is perhaps crazier then Thesseus....

And Erasmus stupider then the goats that graze gotland.
Thinking he could fool a deamon!
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
No no, those goats are not stupid.... They are evil... evil I tell ya :o

Erasmus though, now he's a mystery. I havn't quite worked him out yet  ;D
I would guess, that he is far smarter than Usul though, perhaps he has been minipulating Usul the whole time... who knows  ;)

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Erasmus with his own hands had formed an eye patch from skin of the Beasts. Skin from beasts, being far tougher than leather, required intricate work to scribe and carve out the image of an eye on the outer face. The recess was then filled with molten silver to form its clear image. In place over Usul's empty eye socket, it offered an air of mysterious intimidation; the illusion that never ceased its following gaze upon its onlookers.

Usul requested the attention of Erasmus to study the healing of the wound.
Upon lifting the patch he reported "M'lord, it is but one full day and the wound is already fully healed..."
"Excellent my friend. Now lets get back to some important matters..."

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
It seems that Usul has finally gained the trust of the Brothers of Spearhold. He has been rewarded by being appointed the judge/Arbiter position.
He was most pleased when he recieved a new prisoner-- Pale Whiteblood, an infiltrator who had been causing some trouble in recent times.

Usul
While you rot in your cell, Usul Soul, Arbiter of Spearhold, Knight of Firbalt visits you and says:

Pale rat! I am your new Judge -- Arbiter Usul. Stand up when I address you!

Erasmus; Usul's prison guard; strolls over to the prisoner and stands momentarily, towering over him. He firmly clasps the prisoner beneath the chin with one hand and thrusts him up upon his feet. He then takes one step back and knocks the prisoner back down onto the cold stony floor, from a single lash to the face with his black studded leather glove.

What have you to say regarding your crimes? Filthy animal!

Prisoner Pale Whiteblood

Pale slowly raises his hand and wipes the bit of blood from his face with his fingers and brushes it off on his pant leg.  Sitting back down, Pale leans against the wall and closes his eyes, ignoring the guard and his master.

Usul
Erasmus looked to Usul for a command-- Usul returned the look, smiled ever so gently, and ordered with a simple nod. Erasmus approached the prisoner Pale and again picked him up with one single grasp. The giant prison guard placed Pale into a choke hold whilst lifting him from the floor. Pale writhed and kicked his legs frantically is a desperate attempt to break free-- his face turning blue...

Did Garrett not inform you of the letter I sent to all Justicers of the island? I guess not...Thus I can forgive you for your ignorance. Here, let me read it to you:

Message sent to the Judges of Beluaterra (10 recipients)
    Servers of Justice,

Harbinger Vasik, the seer of truth, prophet of 'He That Is', has appointed me as Arbiter of the realm.
    I let it be known to all: I shalt deal justice; swift and sharp; to any infiltrator or saboteur who enters our lands will ill intent. No mercy will be shown by me.

That is all.
    For Truth.

Usul Soul
    Arbiter of Spearhold

As soon as the necessary mundane paperwork is complete ,you shalt be banished from these lands!.
Return, and be made an example of. Your tongue will be the first piece to disect, I am interested to know why it failed to work.

Erasmus released his hold and allowed the prisoner to clump upon the floor gasping for breath.

Then the slippery rat escaped!

Prisoner escaped!
Pale has fled your dungeons. The guards are being questioned, but from the evidence, it seems as if he found a secret passage that even you didn't know about.