Author Topic: Inappropriate Out of Charcter Insults  (Read 13305 times)

BattleMaster Server

Inappropriate Out of Charcter Insults
« Topic Start: February 03, 2014, 12:54:51 AM »
Summary:Inappropriate Out of Charcter Insults
Violation:No verbal attacks, insults or harassment of other players. E
World:Dwilight
Complainer:Justin Licht
About:Lyman Stone

Full Complaint Text:
Out-of-Character from Hireshmont II Vellos   (just in)

Message sent to everyone in "Sanguis Astroism" (124 recipients)

!@#$ you.

Lyman Stone

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Inappropriate Out of Charcter Insults
« Reply #1: February 03, 2014, 01:02:00 AM »
Obviously I will recuse myself.

In regard my action as a reasonable response to the type of !@#$ that just went on in SA.

You're welcome to punish me as you choose. I have no desire to play BM with crap like that.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 03, 2014, 01:19:45 AM »
No matter the provocation, such out-of-character venom is never excusable.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 03, 2014, 01:42:53 AM »
Given the player's ridiculously antagonizing attitude on the forums and IG, I'm amazed I didn't say as much myself.

Heck, I'm sure even this report was done to further aggravate. I doubt Justin is in any way hurt right now, rather laughing his ass off.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 03, 2014, 01:56:11 AM »
Given the player's ridiculously antagonizing attitude on the forums and IG, I'm amazed I didn't say as much myself.

Heck, I'm sure even this report was done to further aggravate. I doubt Justin is in any way hurt right now, rather laughing his ass off.

If I swore in OOC messages at every character/player that I found ridiculousy antagonising, it would be a never ending flood of messages.  Its not appropriate to do so, there are better places to vent.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 03, 2014, 02:07:43 AM »
Worth noting that I've never behaved like this before.

In the previous case where we've had discussion of particularly venomous interactions between players, it's been usually both sides having a long record of negativity and hostility. I have no such record, nor do I think anyone can accuse me of this kind of blow-up before.

I've already paused Hireshmont, who was my last active character. The resolution of this case will probably not meaningfully affect my decision to play or not in the future.

I don't get mad at people for just being antagonizing. Annoying people, people who routinely operate on OOC grudges... I've played BM long enough to deal with that. No problem with that.

It's when apparently two characters, one of whom has been borderline inactive for months and hasn't included any other characters (publicly at least) in his apparently monumental plans, exploit a ridiculous asymmetry of button-power to single-handedly rewrite the whole structure of the largest player-created institution in BM-history. Yes, that ticks me off, because it's OBVIOUS abuse. It's CLEARLY not playing with friends. It's Justin having fun !@#$ing with game mechanics to knock over the sandcastle the other kids have been diligently building for years.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 03, 2014, 02:15:21 AM »
I agree completely with Lyman. And while on multiple occasions my ego has confronted other equally strong egos, often with the loss of politeness and with great frustration, never have I been so utterly disgusted. I can't imagine myself continuing to play a game that inspires so much disgust in me.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 03, 2014, 03:13:11 AM »
This seems rather familiar to people complaining on the d-list about Operation Rubber Ducky.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 03, 2014, 03:20:57 AM »
This seems rather familiar to people complaining on the d-list about Operation Rubber Ducky.

A point that occurred to me too. In hindsight, I do have some regrets about that.

But also worth noting that Rubber Ducky had dozens of public RPs in Oligarch, and over 30 people involved and "in the know." Plus, you could fight back: the coup only lasted about 3 days before there was a counter-revolution. It's not like somebody could just push a button and change the government irrevocably. But this bit for SA is different. One or two people involved pushed a few buttons and there's nothing anyone can do, no way to fight back.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 03, 2014, 07:45:38 AM »
A point that occurred to me too. In hindsight, I do have some regrets about that.

But also worth noting that Rubber Ducky had dozens of public RPs in Oligarch, and over 30 people involved and "in the know." Plus, you could fight back: the coup only lasted about 3 days before there was a counter-revolution. It's not like somebody could just push a button and change the government irrevocably. But this bit for SA is different. One or two people involved pushed a few buttons and there's nothing anyone can do, no way to fight back.
Vellos,

First, the fact you don't have a past history of publicly swearing at players but you don't like their actions on an OOC basis doesn't make it ok, and I hope you don't think it does it either. I truly hope you apologize for it because whether or not his actions were abuse, swearing at someone, especially publicly, is not ok. I would have seen no reason with you going on the forums to ask for it to be evaluated on whether or not it is abuse or even saying that it was in your opinion, but swearing at people is not ok.

Second, you are an awesome player, and I really hope you don't quit. Not only are your characters pretty cool but you have almost always up to this point been quite friendly out of the game and you have dedicated your time as a magistrate which I praise you for.

Finally, I think you should give Justin a chance on being fair with this whole situation OOC. I have spoke with him some and he is not trying to usurp SA and just do as he pleases even though it might seem that way initially. He is planning on being fair with how events unfold and he will likely announce how his plans to OOC tomorrow as I spoke with about it and he agreed it to be a good idea. He is not trying to ruin your fun or ruin SA for you, but he is only a player and he has limited time to explain things, and as well everyone makes mistakes.

Please, be calm and fair as  he is trying to help BM by giving it some controversy and fun but has made some mistakes certainly in his initial implementation of it. If you were doing something big you were working on I am sure you would want people to give you a chance to show that it truly is a good thing and enjoyable. If after a couple days of becoming more clear what Justin's plans are and you still disagree, I have no qualm with you quitting Dwilight and if you truly must, Battlemaster, but I feel he should be given a chance first, as I have already stated numerous times.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: February 03, 2014, 10:17:50 AM »
Yes, that ticks me off, because it's OBVIOUS abuse. It's CLEARLY not playing with friends. It's Justin having fun !@#$ing with game mechanics to knock over the sandcastle the other kids have been diligently building for years.

Has it been reported? Because that would've been the proper reaction.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 03, 2014, 04:01:23 PM »
Has it been reported? Because that would've been the proper reaction.

Despite my total lack of faith in the titan system, I did report it to them. As for the magistrates, a number of us were elders of SA or aligned with them, so how many would actually be entitled to vote if a magistrate case was opened?

In my eyes, it's a dick move, and nothing he does will make it okay. He can be more of a dick or less of a dick, but he'll remain a dick. He could have easily created a splinter SA and would have had sufficient support in Niselur and Asylon to pull it off. He didn't need to rob the church from the majority of the players that actually support it.

It feels like someone broke into my house, pointed a gun at my head and told me that from now on, this is his house, but "hey, since I'm so cool, I'll let you continue to live here and sleep on the couch", and your sole option to get him out of the house is to burn your own house down, or otherwise agree to live under the "benevolent" tyranny of a nutcase that could decide to just off you at any random occasion.

There's nothing "fun" about this move. It's just wanton destruction. Barely anyone was involved. There was no power play. There is no counter-revolution possible. No protest possible. Two clicks and he won, usurping years of efforts by hundreds of other players.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: February 03, 2014, 05:16:47 PM »
What exactly happened? I thought this was still related to the Priest influencing peasants and cause them to turn from SA, but now it looks like it is something else...

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: February 03, 2014, 05:57:16 PM »
Jonsu (Justin's character) planned with one other person (an Elder in SA) to take over the Church. Jonsu was allowed back in, promoted to Elder, and demoted almost everyone else from Elder in the span of a few hours. Now, with no mechanic in place to oust an Elder, Jonsu basically has full control of SA.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 03, 2014, 06:27:43 PM »
Justin and I talked and he put Alaster into the top position of SA with him.  He can't click a few buttons and destroy the actual temples and shrines and such now.   

We are trying to work out a means by which we can have a war for control of the church.  So this way it is possible to stop him rather than the way it was when this first started which is having him in sole control. 

This thing caught me by surprise as much as anyone else.  There were allusions that Jonsu was up to something, but nothing on this scale.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)