Author Topic: Any bets on realms capsizing?  (Read 20515 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Any bets on realms capsizing?
« Reply #30: March 02, 2014, 04:52:24 PM »
I seriously doubt this will happen.  The migration will strengthen the east while whole western cultures will fall apart.  I know in OOC messaging about a third of the nobles have already declared that when the inevitable happens they will march their noble into a horde of monsters and have that be the end.

Well, that sounds like an awfully stupid, short-sighted, and defeatist attitude.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: March 02, 2014, 08:20:34 PM »
Will the food be rebalanced afterwards?

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #32: March 02, 2014, 09:29:01 PM »
Well, that sounds like an awfully stupid, short-sighted, and defeatist attitude.

Well, you are doing something that affects the newer, more dynamic realms on Dwilight. You are literally destroying the realms with the most new players, what did !@#$ing expect man?

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: March 02, 2014, 10:17:13 PM »
Don't worry, they won't have the money to afford units for much longer anyway. Tax income is about to tank even harder.

I this is going to be an inevitable loss, it feels like we should just stop fighting and pull everything out of the west and join allies in the east.  The cats out of the bag, but it would have been more interesting to know that one of the sides was going to be infiltrated rather than a specific one.  I still would prefer a BT style loss of regions, extensive battles  and then the regions under the monsters control sink.
Yeah I was kind of expecting it to be more like BT's invasions, but nope it just seems to be scores of monsters in every region, right as I was about to have my region all fixed up too. I don't expect to get a tax income of note, again. Seems to be happening a bit too fast here.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #34: March 02, 2014, 10:28:55 PM »
it feels like we should just stop fighting

This is the part of the community I don't get. As soon as something - anything - happens, everything suddenly becomes all peacenik. Why? Why stop fighting and do some peaceful migration? Why not throw everything at them now that you have nothing to lose?

This is the one area where BM could never match real life. In real life, when the going gets tough, people get more aggressive, not less.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: March 03, 2014, 12:17:49 AM »
This is the part of the community I don't get. As soon as something - anything - happens, everything suddenly becomes all peacenik. Why? Why stop fighting and do some peaceful migration? Why not throw everything at them now that you have nothing to lose?

This is the one area where BM could never match real life. In real life, when the going gets tough, people get more aggressive, not less.

In RL, you CAN totally destroy your enemies. And the survivors will not live long enough for revenge.

In this game, you can't do this. Many things are in place to make sure that people who don't want to die, can't. In fact, people who don't want to be touched, for the most part, can't. And player characters can live long enough to see a lot of nations rise and fall. Victors don't really write the history all that much.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bjarnson

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: March 03, 2014, 12:55:37 AM »
I would be surprised if they didn't- its not like this kind of thing hasn't happened before on Dwilight. If I recall correctly Asylon was supposed to be a docile Caerwynian colony before Glaumring and his lot invaded and made it the Asylon we know today.

This is very true, the Old Thulsomans(not the Saxons) left Old Thulsoma and joined Asylon, and as the leadership was weak the new refugees and several Asylonians that came from Caerwyn rose up in arms and overthrew the Emperor, making Glaumring our King and that way we gave birth to the savage Asylon you know today.

It kinda breaks my heart to see us loose something we struggled hard with to build and our long fight for survival, especially now when we had our triumph over our arch-enemy Astrum and did something we never thought would happen, turning little Asylon into a giant...

BUT, the game goes on and we are now undecided on what to do. There have been some talk about leading chars to death and the fitting end for some old Hero characters, but the majority of my realm are getting ready to embrace the change and spread the savage culture of Asylon east. Kinda ironic as we always expected a invasion from the North east, not the other way around =)
King Grimrog Bjarnson of Asylon.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: March 03, 2014, 01:07:40 AM »

Perhaps I should state that I meant "If this is going to be an inevitable loss (against the monsters)."  I want to know if there actually is any point in fighting the monsters.  On other islands, the ice will just cover regions; no fighting will help.  If the same can be said about this continent then I would like to know.  I am not at all suggesting that realms have to give up.  But if the monsters are going to be too strong to beat, that means recruiting huge armies taking over regions elsewhere. 
I don't know what makes sense to tell us, but you have told us some things and those things lead to new questions.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: March 03, 2014, 01:19:27 AM »

In real life you wouldn't have the problems you do in battlemaster: with regions being destabilized, nobles will no longer be able to maintain units, where if a glacier suddenly found itself moving over Scandanavia circa 1100 AD, you can be damn sure if they decided to expand south for survival, pay would be the last thing on the soldiers minds. 

Paying units is all fine and dandy when its just regular old war, but when its fight or die, who gives a damn about gold? Scavenge what you can to feed yourself and your family, and continue to fight in a group or die are the options available.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: March 03, 2014, 01:26:20 AM »
This is very true, the Old Thulsomans(not the Saxons) left Old Thulsoma and joined Asylon, and as the leadership was weak the new refugees and several Asylonians that came from Caerwyn rose up in arms and overthrew the Emperor, making Glaumring our King and that way we gave birth to the savage Asylon you know today.

It kinda breaks my heart to see us loose something we struggled hard with to build and our long fight for survival, especially now when we had our triumph over our arch-enemy Astrum and did something we never thought would happen, turning little Asylon into a giant...

BUT, the game goes on and we are now undecided on what to do. There have been some talk about leading chars to death and the fitting end for some old Hero characters, but the majority of my realm are getting ready to embrace the change and spread the savage culture of Asylon east. Kinda ironic as we always expected a invasion from the North east, not the other way around =)

Indeed, I think Aslyon is one of the best prepared of the western realms to make their mark on the east. You have experience of mass-migration, a large noble count (which may even be boosted if the Niselurians join you), a closely-knit and distinct culture as well as a very good rp reason for your characters to remain united and target the North-east. If Asylon plays its cards right then I think the SA heartlands of Morek and Corsanctum are in for a nasty shock. Who knows, maybe we'll even see the Founding SA Temple at Caiyun fall to the Asylonian horde...

guintiger

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: March 03, 2014, 02:15:23 AM »

What a thoughtful and mature response...especially coming from a dev.

sharkattack

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: March 03, 2014, 02:20:24 AM »
Advertise that Dwilight is sinking and let everyone emigrate to a new, smaller continent as a fresh start?  I like that idea, actually, that'd be pretty cool.  I am, however, not looking forward to the flood of Asylonian refugees I expect to show up in Corsanctum.

From what ive seen, there is big possibility both Niselur and Asylon will immigrate to Corsanctum and that means only one thing. Corsanctum days are numbered. Welcome new Asyloniselur :S

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: March 03, 2014, 02:38:24 AM »
From what ive seen, there is big possibility both Niselur and Asylon will immigrate to Corsanctum and that means only one thing. Corsanctum days are numbered. Welcome new Asyloniselur :S

Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: March 03, 2014, 02:43:56 AM »

Wait, so we're finally going to have more nobles than we have regions? PRAISE BE TO THE BLOODSTARS!
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Glloyd

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: March 03, 2014, 02:59:54 AM »
What a thoughtful and mature response...especially coming from a dev.

Notably the dev who argueably had the largest part in this event.