Author Topic: Any bets on realms capsizing?  (Read 20531 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Any bets on realms capsizing?
« Reply #45: March 03, 2014, 04:47:19 AM »
Paying units is all fine and dandy when its just regular old war, but when its fight or die, who gives a damn about gold? Scavenge what you can to feed yourself and your family, and continue to fight in a group or die are the options available.
That's actually a very good point. I'll move that over to the dev team board for consideration.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: March 03, 2014, 04:56:32 AM »
Keep it polite, people. There was a lot of thought, planning, effort, hand wringing, second guessing, dread, fear, and anticipation that went into this decision. Several people worked long and hard to make this happen. The alternative to shrinking was to outright close two, or possibly more, islands. The dev team ultimately felt that shrinking in this manner allowed us to achieve the objectives we needed to achieve, while minimizing the effects on the game overall.

This was a hard decision. No matter which way we took things, either freezing entire islands or freezing parts of islands, you can be guaranteed that the forums would be filled with people claiming that we had made the wrong decision. We are sorry that your particular favorite realm is possibly being destroyed as a result. Well, you're not alone. The realm of which my character is the ruler is going to affected, too. Probably destroyed.

BattleMaster is a big game. If your favorite realm gets destroyed, consider moving elsewhere. This is especially true if you have only limited experience with the game overall. I'm fairly certain you can find another realm somewhere that matches your play style. If not, then perhaps you and your buddies from that realm can start new characters somewhere else, and still play together. Battlemaster is not a game of one realm, or one character. Realms come, and realms go. Characters start, and characters die. If that happens to you, then start a new character, and start a new story.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: March 03, 2014, 05:24:34 AM »
Indirik has the right of it. Regardless of circumstance, try to draw as many positives as you can. If you can't, then try to roleplay your character. By that, I mean try to survive, like normal human beings. Losing everything can be some of the most fun you've ever had as a player because it forces everyone into action. Ever want to sculpt a nation? Did you already just sculpt one? Sculpt another! Sculpting all around! Have my hammer and chisel if you'd like! Sculpt yourself, sculpt your characters, resculpt your characters... man, I sure like sculpting.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 05:35:40 AM by Arundel »
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Glloyd

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: March 03, 2014, 07:24:45 AM »
Indirik does have the right of it, but not everybody is as carefree about losing their character/realm because of an arbitrary event that doesn't fit the spirit of the game. If some people decide to leave because of it, that's their decision, because something they invested hours upon hours into has now been destroyed arbitrarily.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: March 03, 2014, 08:37:41 AM »
I have to disagree with you on the spirit of the game as you've implied it. The spirit of the game isn't keeping something alive until you're fully ready to let it go. This game is about battling through thick and thin - as you would in reality - while having a blast in the process - quite unlike reality.

Niselur, Asylon, and Barca haven't died yet. In fact, said realms have quite the potential to live on. What's ridiculous here is that a collection of people believe their realms can only retain their identities by inhabiting their current geographical areas. Get a grip, the necessary components to a realm are its nobles and the histories they create. Its regions come secondary. Sure, you've fought long and hard for Rettleville, Gaston, Gelene or Golden Farrow, but these regions don't define your realms. Generally speaking, what defines Niselur is its capacity to challenge, and subsequently overcome SA imperialism where it reigns strongest; what defines Asylon is its unique collection of nobles and beliefs: former obnoxious standout turned continental superpower; what defines Barca is its formidable resilience in the face of abominations (monsters and Aurvandils both): it survived when no one else thought it capable. Every last one of you have invested your hours creating these kind of achievements, histories and legends.

The same cannot be said about Rettleville, Gaston, Gelene, or Golden Farrow. These regions were created by the Devs, and shall remain long after your realms have run their natural courses. 

So yeah, you're probably going to lose your current regions. How is that functionally different from your typical, total conquest? And if you've spent countless hours developing your realm, what's a few more in an effort to secure its future somewhere else? You might even have fun in the process! Look at the many kings and nobles of old who migrated, went into exile, or conquered other lands after their homelands were threatened or destroyed. They strove to survive, and so should the rest of you. You haven't lost anything yet!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:46:03 AM by Arundel »
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Bjarnson

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
King Grimrog Bjarnson of Asylon.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #51: March 03, 2014, 04:57:33 PM »
No pressure, No Diamonds.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #52: March 03, 2014, 04:58:47 PM »
What a thoughtful and mature response...especially coming from a dev.

We are humans, too. Given the kind and amount of hate thrown out here, Tim is very calm and patient. I would've already told some people what I think of their remarks.

Disturbedyang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: March 03, 2014, 07:27:44 PM »
I have to disagree with you on the spirit of the game as you've implied it. The spirit of the game isn't keeping something alive until you're fully ready to let it go. This game is about battling through thick and thin - as you would in reality - while having a blast in the process - quite unlike reality.

Niselur, Asylon, and Barca haven't died yet. In fact, said realms have quite the potential to live on. What's ridiculous here is that a collection of people believe their realms can only retain their identities by inhabiting their current geographical areas. Get a grip, the necessary components to a realm are its nobles and the histories they create. Its regions come secondary. Sure, you've fought long and hard for Rettleville, Gaston, Gelene or Golden Farrow, but these regions don't define your realms. Generally speaking, what defines Niselur is its capacity to challenge, and subsequently overcome SA imperialism where it reigns strongest; what defines Asylon is its unique collection of nobles and beliefs: former obnoxious standout turned continental superpower; what defines Barca is its formidable resilience in the face of abominations (monsters and Aurvandils both): it survived when no one else thought it capable. Every last one of you have invested your hours creating these kind of achievements, histories and legends.

The same cannot be said about Rettleville, Gaston, Gelene, or Golden Farrow. These regions were created by the Devs, and shall remain long after your realms have run their natural courses. 

So yeah, you're probably going to lose your current regions. How is that functionally different from your typical, total conquest? And if you've spent countless hours developing your realm, what's a few more in an effort to secure its future somewhere else? You might even have fun in the process! Look at the many kings and nobles of old who migrated, went into exile, or conquered other lands after their homelands were threatened or destroyed. They strove to survive, and so should the rest of you. You haven't lost anything yet!

Finally, someone that is not childish. When things go against you, give it the middle finger and challenge it. Not walk away like a small boy that can't get his candies. All my characters were at the receiving end of these, and to tell you the truth, i am glad it did. It was much more fun because you are now given much more option to develop your characters.

I do have a big complain however to the DEVs. Why is nothing happening in Beluaterra! I want Melhed to have some reason to kill the Fronites! Okay, i should probably stop spamming them with this question now. :p

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: March 03, 2014, 08:03:17 PM »
“I am the flail of god. Had you not created great sins, god would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” ― Genghis Khan,

We are the Horde now. East must fear us.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: March 03, 2014, 08:46:26 PM »
A New Resolve   (7 minutes ago)
Tonight, having feasted well, the peasants seem to show a new resolve and determination, with one clear goal: Find, or make, a new homeland away from these monsters. More begin to show up at the recruitment centers, and those already recruited and the newly signing declare quite firmly that they don't care how far they have to go or if they don't get paid (much) until they have a new homeland: they're in this to make a new start.

As rumours of these events begin to come back to those in the eastern lands, the peasants and minor nobles alike begin to speak in worried tones of what is to come. Do all these strange events presage a terrifying migration of armies out of the west, bent on carving new homes out of their own lands in the east?

Now this, sounds more like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOVVYswNE-c
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:52:18 PM by Wolfang »

Zakilevo

« Reply #56: March 03, 2014, 11:23:23 PM »
It is understandable yet laughable how people cry over all this. Like Arundel said, players and their characters come first before the regions. Regions don't create history and culture of your realm in this game. The players and their characters who rule those regions do. The dev team will closely observe the whole migration process and if the realms need more help, the dev team will probably give them more help to aid them settle where they desire.

Players with characters in Western Dwilight may complain about Eastern Dwilight not being attacked by monsters but those people are forgetting the fact for it is always more scary to face players than some monsters. Monsters are easier to deal with than well armed armies with good marshals and that is what Western Dwilight will have. Well trained armies with cheap maintenance cost. If you don't have gold to even make yourselves a good army, I am sure the dev team will come up with more ideas.

Try to enjoy the situation. You may complain now but maybe in a year or two, you may think this was one of the best things that happened for your realm since only a selected number of realms will get a chance like this. Nowhere in BM's history has there been a case where people got a chance to invade a realm across the map with so much advantage.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: March 04, 2014, 12:10:52 AM »
It is understandable yet laughable how people cry over all this. Like Arundel said, players and their characters come first before the regions. Regions don't create history and culture of your realm in this game. The players and their characters who rule those regions do. The dev team will closely observe the whole migration process and if the realms need more help, the dev team will probably give them more help to aid them settle where they desire.

Players with characters in Western Dwilight may complain about Eastern Dwilight not being attacked by monsters but those people are forgetting the fact for it is always more scary to face players than some monsters. Monsters are easier to deal with than well armed armies with good marshals and that is what Western Dwilight will have. Well trained armies with cheap maintenance cost. If you don't have gold to even make yourselves a good army, I am sure the dev team will come up with more ideas.

Try to enjoy the situation. You may complain now but maybe in a year or two, you may think this was one of the best things that happened for your realm since only a selected number of realms will get a chance like this. Nowhere in BM's history has there been a case where people got a chance to invade a realm across the map with so much advantage.

I'll bet you weren't there when we were taming western Dwilight.

Player armies need gold to remain on the field, they suffer morale loss from distance, they suffer wear, they must travel back and forth from their distant capital. Monsters do not. They can be everywhere. They drain your food twice as fast. They don't wear down, they grow if left unchecked. They never need to refit. They never have distance issues.

Sure, 4000 CS of monsters in your realm is better than 4000 CS of troops. But in my book, in almost all cases, 30 000CS of rogues is a lot more problematic than 30 000CS of player forces. Odds are that player army won't be able to stay long, while odds are, it'll take forever to deal with that rogue force, and they'll probably empty your warehouses and drop production in most of your regions to nil.

Plus, how is the West supposed to invade the East if their lands are filled with monsters? They'll be lucky to just make it out from a few troops...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakilevo

« Reply #58: March 04, 2014, 12:27:32 AM »
I'll bet you weren't there when we were taming western Dwilight.

Player armies need gold to remain on the field, they suffer morale loss from distance, they suffer wear, they must travel back and forth from their distant capital. Monsters do not. They can be everywhere. They drain your food twice as fast. They don't wear down, they grow if left unchecked. They never need to refit. They never have distance issues.

Sure, 4000 CS of monsters in your realm is better than 4000 CS of troops. But in my book, in almost all cases, 30 000CS of rogues is a lot more problematic than 30 000CS of player forces. Odds are that player army won't be able to stay long, while odds are, it'll take forever to deal with that rogue force, and they'll probably empty your warehouses and drop production in most of your regions to nil.

Plus, how is the West supposed to invade the East if their lands are filled with monsters? They'll be lucky to just make it out from a few troops...

I stayed in Morek as one of those silent drones doing nothing. Wasn't even interested in that. Heard a lot of stories about how hard it was to expand. Must have been fun. By the time I returned to the game, Astrum and Corsanctum were created.

Don't think Western Dwilight armies are suffering from morale. There are still several problems they have to deal with though. Equipment damage, Embark cost and location, capital location (for getting reinforcements) and provisions. But I am sure these things will be sorted out along the way if dev thinks those are causing problems.

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: March 04, 2014, 03:23:35 PM »
I stayed in Morek as one of those silent drones doing nothing. Wasn't even interested in that. Heard a lot of stories about how hard it was to expand. Must have been fun. By the time I returned to the game, Astrum and Corsanctum were created.

Don't think Western Dwilight armies are suffering from morale. There are still several problems they have to deal with though. Equipment damage, Embark cost and location, capital location (for getting reinforcements) and provisions. But I am sure these things will be sorted out along the way if dev thinks those are causing problems.

The one thing I hope is that it is going to be possible to at least get some toeholds back on the western subcontinent; superheavily fortified cities or townslands, something like that.  I enjoyed playing in Niselur and reclaiming it from the frontier, wouldn't mind being a frontier lord again if I can swing it.
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families