Author Topic: "Silent" (auto) rebellions  (Read 10232 times)

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
Re: "Silent" (auto) rebellions
« Topic Start: June 09, 2011, 10:13:55 PM »
Personally, I don't like the idea of any auto-generated, NPC-controlled armies. BattleMaster is player-focused, with some special exemptions revolving around the BT invasions. Things that happen in-game should be because of player actions.

What could be interesting is to provide additional options that become available to various realm-members when the "winner" doesn't have enough support. For example:
  • The realm could descend into anarchy if too many people all get the approximate same vote share. (i.e. the four leading candidates get 10%, 10%, 12%, and 13%, or something.)
  • If there are two strong candidates far ahead of anyone else, say 30% and 33% vs the next closest at 10%, the "loser" gets the option to attempt an immediate military coup.
  • If the results are very close, as in situation 1, then the duke of the capital gets the option to declare himself the ruler, in which case the realm gets shifted automatically to a tyranny.

I'm sure there are other situations that could occur, and corresponding options that can appear for them. The key is that they require an actual player to *do* something to take advantage of them. This leaves the course of the game firmly in the hands of the players. The game is just providing them opportunities that they can choose to take advantage of, or not.

If such options are too powerful you will quickly find that elections are turned from monthly things to once for life sort of things. The idea runs a big risk of actually hindering position change.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.