Author Topic: "Silent" (auto) rebellions  (Read 10233 times)

Jens Namtrah

"Silent" (auto) rebellions
« Topic Start: May 13, 2011, 01:34:20 AM »
I've been ready a few of the threads about dwindling player numbers and engagement. This idea doesn't necessarily solve anything, but might be a small step in the right direction.

I'm quite surprised at the number of realms I see that I would consider to be quite active, and yet the monthly election shows the leader winning with "28% of the vote". My idea is this:

---
IF an election doesn't meet certain criteria (ex., less than x% of vote cast, top candidate receives less than x% of vote, etc.)

THEN a "pretender" army "crosses the border at y" (i.e., a rebel army is auto-generated)

---

THE REBEL ARMY:

MECHANICS: A few possibilities:

1) simplest - just a sizable rogue army, with an in-game roleplay message. I think this would be a little disappointing, as it wouldn't really mimic the effect we're after, but at least it gives a big role play event for the realm

2) a rebel militia (like the result of a current rebellion), but that can move. I think this might not be very successful as coding a realistic assault against the loyalists/capitol would be rather complicated. might be fun to try, though.

3) an actual NPC army lead by a player, in the way the daemons on BT were. this leader would be a hero character; his death or capture & execution would be one way to end the rebellion (see below)

4) any other ideas that are practicable

JOINING REBELLION:

I would really like to see it set up in a way that there is an actual rebellion occurring, just as if the players themselves started it, and that characters could join. I realize that adds a lot of complications, but if this idea is followed up on, please keep in mind this "wish" when thinking about how it might be coded.

REBEL ARMY SIZE & STARTPOINT:

1) should be big enough to cause a "real threat", not just something for Home Defense to wipe out in one or two battles

2) should be small enough that it is unlikely to actually win, unless no one pays attention to it or several characters join forces

3) can start about anywhere, I guess. if it only survives a certain number of turns, should have enough turns to be able to comfortably fight its way to the capitol (no "waiting it out") . (perhaps lowest morale or controlled region, for example)

END GAME:

a few possibilities

1) cs of rebel army is reduced below a certain point

2) if rebellion has leader character (NPC or otherwise), is killed or captured

3) captures the capitol - realm thrown into Anarchy, lots of bad stuff happens to them. not sure what to do with the rebels at this point :-)

BENEFITS TO GAME:

1) can't be forced on any realm that doesn't like it - it's not like "Too Much Peace". Only requirement here is that your ruler manages to convince x% of the players to check a  box on the voting page. If he can't do that, he really doesn't deserve to be your ruler, IMHO.

2) gives players who complain that rebellions are impossible because of the non-engagement of majority of players a new way to shake things up. simply ask others not to vote, instead of asking them to actively join a rebellion

3) a way to enact an internal, civil war for an otherwise "peaceful" realm. There seems to be a lot of desire among players for the ability to have civil strife, but don't want to be forced into fighting other realms. Here you go.

4) gets the ruler a little more engaged in his realm, where needed. that was actually what spawned this idea. Ruler channel is NOT the most important aspect of the game for ruler players; your realm is.

5) sounds like fun, and very medieval (IMHO). there were always pretenders to the throne lurking about foreign courts. 28% of the vote? sounds like a ruler most nobles couldn't be bothered to cross the street to say "hello" to. What better time to land on the shores and announce your claim?

CLOSING THOUGHTS:

I guess a simple large rogue army in your borders, with a roleplay announcement,  if certain conditions aren't met would be the easiest way to try this idea out. if it seemed to work, it could be expanded to make the rebel army more realistic, or any other ideas.