Author Topic: Church schisms  (Read 15954 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Church schisms
« Reply #15: February 12, 2014, 11:03:17 PM »
That must be why there are thousands of catholic churches splitting off every year to be their own independant protestant church.

Oh wait...

While not the Catholic church, several congregations of the Uniting Church did leave the church a few years ago when the greater church voted to allow gay and lesbian ministers, most notably the Church led by Fred Nile who for various reasons as a media profile in Australia. Some of these congregation joined other existing denomination they felt were closer to their own theology, others formed independent congregations or the oh so trendy community church path. Under Uniting Church policy these congregations were entitled to take with them all land and property that was managed by the congregation.

These sorts of things are always happening on a small scale through out most Christian denominations. It just not so news worthy that it is often know about outside of the groups themselves. It is not unheard of for Catholic congregations to leave the church in modern times over debates like Women Priest, Gay Priest and even that old chestnut of contraception. I'm not entirely sure but I think in most cases the Church itself however is legally the property of the Catholic Church, so what you see is simply a mass exodus from the congregation. Where we not in modern times with modern property laws perhaps that would be different.

I can't comment on if it is true for other faiths.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.