Author Topic: Banker bug  (Read 5457 times)

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Banker bug
« Reply #15: February 07, 2014, 10:02:16 PM »
What most probably happens is that the banker is responsible both for the selling and the buying. The report says correctly that he pockets money from the sale, but it is his own money, so he's not really making a profit. He would only make money if was selling food to a pre-established buying offer that was set up by someone else.

This is true, but he's buying from me (except I don't get the money) and he's selling to someone else (who doesn't have to give up their money). For the Banker, it's a wash, but I just got robbed, and whoever got my food got it for free.

See the problem?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: February 07, 2014, 11:16:28 PM »
So you expect someone else to do all the work, and you still get all the profits?

If you want all the profits for yourself, then lock the banker out of your warehouse, and do it yourself.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: February 07, 2014, 11:51:25 PM »
The "work" is growing the food. I don't have a problem with the banker getting a percentage if you'd like. As it is, the banker does the work and no one gets anything.

When the banker buys the food where does that money go? When he sells the food to someone else, who's giving the banker his money back? Am I crazy in thinking something is missing here?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: February 07, 2014, 11:56:08 PM »
The "work" is growing the food.

In that case, I assume you'll have no problem paying the peasants for it?

As it is, the banker does the work and no one gets anything.

Huh?

If you're saying the work is growing the food, then the banker does none of it.

Otherwise, the banker does the trading and gets the profit from the trades he makes.

When the banker buys the food where does that money go? When he sells the food to someone else, who's giving the banker his money back? Am I crazy in thinking something is missing here?

If the banker buys food from an order set up by Lord Foodgrower, then Lord Foodgrower gets the money.

If the banker sets up a sell order and Lord Citymonger buys it, Lord Citymonger pays the bonds that the banker gets.

If the banker sets up a sell order and then buys it himself, no money ever changes hands.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: February 07, 2014, 11:58:18 PM »
The "work" is growing the food. I don't have a problem with the banker getting a percentage if you'd like. As it is, the banker does the work and no one gets anything.

When the banker buys food, he pays the seller. When he sells, the buyer pays him. It's that simple.

As has been pointed out to you, there is a very easy way to ensure you get paid for your food: put it on the market yourself. Then you'll get the gold.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: February 11, 2014, 06:32:51 PM »
Oh, Anaris. No matter how upside down weird anything is, you always see it perfectly right side up and normal.

Hey all that food you have in your fridge, I'm going to take it and sell it all and give you none of the proceeds. Perfectly normal.  ::)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: February 11, 2014, 06:43:13 PM »
The concept here is simple: You want the profit? Then you do the work. Lock the banker out, and handle it yourself. Then you get every single shiny coin right in your own pocket.

This is the way it works. This is the way it will stay.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: February 11, 2014, 07:01:56 PM »
Oh, Anaris. No matter how upside down weird anything is, you always see it perfectly right side up and normal.

Hey all that food you have in your fridge, I'm going to take it and sell it all and give you none of the proceeds. Perfectly normal.  ::)

Only if I've explicitly granted you permission to do so.

Furthermore, the food being sold isn't food that you personally purchased for your personal consumption. It's miscellaneous raw produce in granaries, that the peasants in your regions have grown.

It seems to me that your problem is you keep trying to reason by bad analogy.

And, again, just like Indirik says: If you want the profit, then you do the work. Lock the Banker out of your granaries and put the food up for sale yourself, or quit complaining.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: February 12, 2014, 05:26:31 AM »

Why do we keep having the same conversation over and over about this? The banker access is optional. If you don't like him poking around your granaries, don't let him. If you want him to do the trading but still earn some gold, come to an arrangement with your banker in order to do so.

Middlemen throughout history have made their money facilitating deals. Often they do so without having to worry about logistics or warehousing, they just have the contacts,skill, knowledge to set up need A with supply B. So it is with the Bankers of Battlemaster.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.