Author Topic: What is going on?!  (Read 9344 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: What is going on?!
« Topic Start: February 27, 2014, 10:20:21 PM »
I would like to preface this post by saying that I am extremely new as in "I just signed-up today".  That being said I did take a look at the small getting started guides that are strewn about the wiki and found them to be invaluable in learning how to manage my personal estate.

Welcome! Glad to have you in BattleMaster.

Do you mind if I ask how you found the game?

I am left with many unanswered basic questions and am having a hard time locating answers so I am just going to ask openly to anybody who has experience with the following topics.

Unfortunately, the documentation for the game is sadly lacking. We are better at coding it than we are at describing how it works. :-\

1.)  In the simplest way possible how does one ascertain their relative location in the world (continent, country, town)?

On your family page, the list of characters is organized by continent, with the characters on each continent having its name as the header for their section.

When you are logged into a character, you will see a status bar at the bottom that includes, in the center, the name of the region you are currently in. It is also a link to a page with details about that region, including the realm it belongs to. Furthermore, you can view the Dynamic Map (from the Information page), which will highlight the region you are located in. It also has overlays to indicate the extent of realms and duchies, and a number of other useful pieces of information.

2.)  How does one go about joining an army?

If you have an estate, your Lord will be able to assign you to an army. If you do not, then under Politics, you should have a link that allows you to assign yourself to an army.

3.)  Who/What are these "rogues" everyone seems to go on about?

In general, "rogue" means "not belonging to any realm." However, people quite often use the term "rogues" to refer to the monsters and undead that spawn periodically throughout the game's regions.

4.)  How should one spend their first few turns ever to maximize the odds of having a good start?

There isn't really much of a snowball effect in BattleMaster. If you want to have a good time, my advice is to talk to people, get to know who's who in the realm you're in, and especially who's interested in actually being friends. The best way to "do well" in BattleMaster, in my experience, is to have a group of in-game friends on whom your characters can rely.

5.)  Do you have any advice for those in Dwilight?

Don't trust a Himoura? Umm...Dwilight's really not that different from the rest of the game, overall, so the majority of advice for people there would be advice that applies in general.

6.)  Are there any other helpful little tid-bits of information you wish to offer?

BattleMaster is primarily a game about interaction, and there is no win condition. You're most likely to have fun if you focus on the stories being told by the actions your characters take, and spending time in the game with friends, rather than becoming too invested in winning a particular war or personal rivalry.

If you have other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan