Author Topic: Great Dwilight War, Pt. 2: The Southern League vs. Luria Nova  (Read 50575 times)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Chénier's right in the sense that the powers given to the position of General are not what they used to be. The General has fewer levers of power to pull that are backed by game mechanics. That can be seen as either a demotion or an opportunity. Banker has followed a similar path over time. Both probably ceded most of these code-backed powers  (or button factor) to Dukes.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I offered to take on the judge position instead, but the current judge didn't like the idea very much.

I still believe that a general is just a vanity title anyways.

I believe it was the former judge who was against it.  Or maybe both.  But I do know it was the former judge who declared "over my dead body."  I find your frustration with the lack of actual power amusing  as the whole reason the position was given to you was because there was no official power.  We needed a figure head position for a figure head.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I believe it was the former judge who was against it.  Or maybe both.  But I do know it was the former judge who declared "over my dead body."  I find your frustration with the lack of actual power amusing  as the whole reason the position was given to you was because there was no official power.  We needed a figure head position for a figure head.

I don't mind that the general has little IG powers. It's indeed my main argument for why sacrificing the position is no big deal.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Player of Aldrakar here (Luria Nova general)

I think the position of General is quite a difficult one in the sense that you need the support and are dependant on the Marshals of the various Armies. If you can get them behind you the position is very powerful. If you have the support of the Ruler that power (read influence) exponentionally grows.

As a General I find little use in the game mechanical powers attribited to the position but the innert influence it grands is great.  I've seen how the General in CE (atamara) take full control, as in, give every order to every army to the entire realm, every single day.

This modus renders the position of Marshal Mute in my mind, hence I don't like to operate that way. If the realms sees a red message from the General it means business, otherwise it would come from the Marshals themselves.

It's not just a power position but one that enables, a general must enable the marshals who in turn must enable the Vice Marshals, etc etc. You all work together to create fun, shared responsibility and ultimately towards the same goal.

Take note that my experience as a General stems from being in an Imperialistic realm where power is quite centralized (to some extend of course).