Author Topic: Diplomacy  (Read 1359 times)

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Diplomacy
« Topic Start: March 03, 2014, 02:30:56 PM »
Can you declare war on someone your federated ally is in alliance with (or the ally of an ally, for that matter)?  Or can you not be allied with the ally of an enemy?  And on that note, would anyone be so kind as to explain the diplomacy system for me?  Kind of relevant to current gameplay in Corsanctum (and by "kind of" I mean "extremely").
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
Re: Diplomacy
« Reply #1: March 03, 2014, 02:39:30 PM »
This is a bit buttfeeling... cant guarantee this to be correct.

You cant declare war to ally of your ally, or ally of your federated partner.
~Violence is always an option!~

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 03, 2014, 02:47:59 PM »
Jaune is correct. The following setup is supposed to be impossible (there have been loopholes that allowed it from time to time):

A is allied or federated with C.
B is allied or federated with C.
A is at war with B.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 03, 2014, 07:04:15 PM »
Basically, you should not be able to trace an alliance chain around to the point where it effectively makes you allied to the person you are at war with. (Alliances/Federations being considered the same thing here.)

A bit of speculation here, but if Corsanctum is allied to Morek, and Morek is allied to Swordfell, then neither Swordfell nor Corsanctum can declare war on the other. One of the two of them will have to drop the alliance with Morek, or convince Morek to drop the alliance to the other. This kind of diplomatic blocking is a popular tactic, especially for smaller realms seeking protection, or for big realms trying to protect smaller allies.

Note that this restriction applies to both declaring war and declaring alliances. You shouldn't be able to sign an alliance with your enemy's ally.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 03, 2014, 08:34:29 PM »
Ah, I see.  So because Morek is allied with Swordfell, we couldn't declare war on them without breaking our federation first (or convincing Morek to drop the alliance with Swordfell).  That explains a lot about what is going on.  Thank you!
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families