Author Topic: Noble density per realm - Dwilight  (Read 82422 times)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
Re: Noble density per realm - Dwilight
« Reply #105: August 23, 2014, 12:56:50 AM »
Dwilight is like FEI now. Its a long sausage shaped map with Morek (Aracea) at the top.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #106: August 23, 2014, 02:15:08 AM »
But what you actually had happen was the nobles who stayed squeezed onto the nearest half of the usable parts of Dwilight

And do you think they are going to just sit there with a 5+ density and stay squeezed? They're going to want land, and they're going to want to be Lords and Dukes - so they're going to have to go push someone else out.

The whole goal of this excercise

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #107: August 23, 2014, 02:26:21 AM »
Dwilight is like FEI now. Its a long sausage shaped map with Morek (Aracea) at the top.

Comparing Morek with Arcaea is utterly ludicrous. Purely from a density standpoint, Arcaea has three times the characters per region that Morek does, and is better than the average on four out of the seven continents (and the SI barely counts in this). On the remaining two continents, there are a total of seven realms with higher density, and two of those are one-region realms.

As far as activity goes, Arcaea is pretty much the mover and shaker on the FEI. Morek is just big. That's literally all it has going for it right now.

Dwilight is as much like the FEI as a paintbrush is like a tulip. Sure, they've got vaguely similar shapes...but other than that, they're completely different.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #108: August 23, 2014, 02:40:53 AM »
How? Strategically and geographically they are almost identical. The south in FEI has always been where the action is and the north is where no can get in and attack. Sea travel might help but my prediction is a long long dominate stagnant north that controls land and gold.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #109: August 23, 2014, 03:01:34 AM »
How? Strategically and geographically they are almost identical.

This may be true, I'm not going to bother trying to analyze it right now (I'm going to watch some Battlestar Galactica with my wife, instead ;D ).

The south in FEI has always been where the action is and the north is where no can get in and attack.

But however true this might have been in the past (which I question right off the bat), there's absolutely no reason that it will remain so. The north of the FEI has four realms in it—sure, Arcaea is the strongest, but that doesn't mean it's invulnerable. The north of Dwilight has, at quick glance, room for at least five realms.

As for getting in, on Dwilight, yeah, it's a little harder for Luria to attack Morek than for them to attack Fissoa. But it's far from impossible for anyone to attack Morek. Swordfell, for instance, is perfectly positioned to do so. And frankly, at the moment, I would say that the biggest danger for Morek is that of secession, given how hollowed-out it is.

On the FEI, there are just two realms south of Arcaea anyway, and neither of them would have any real problem attacking it. So I'm really not sure where your comparison is coming from.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #110: September 12, 2014, 02:38:30 AM »
While I thought that this migration thing could have turned out to be really interesting and fun despite being kind of sucky that it happened, as someine in Barca I feel that it has been a complete and utter disaster of a failure and I am extremely disappointed with how it went. I get more messages in a day in Taselak than I see in a week or more in Barca. The shape if the island isn't very great either.

Instead of boosting populations it seems to have had the opposite effect, with few of the characters who have left remaining on Dwilight at all. Many players deleted their accounts entirely, and some of them were very active players who would have contributed a lot to the the continued 'success' of the island regardless of what realm they ended up in.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 02:48:37 AM by Ossan »
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #111: September 12, 2014, 03:05:11 AM »
While I thought that this migration thing could have turned out to be really interesting and fun despite being kind of sucky that it happened, as someine in Barca I feel that it has been a complete and utter disaster of a failure and I am extremely disappointed with how it went. I get more messages in a day in Taselak than I see in a week or more in Barca. The shape if the island isn't very great either.

Instead of boosting populations it seems to have had the opposite effect, with few of the characters who have left remaining on Dwilight at all. Many players deleted their accounts entirely, and some of them were very active players who would have contributed a lot to the the continued 'success' of the island regardless of what realm they ended up in.

D'Hara seems to have reasonable activity.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #112: September 12, 2014, 03:08:28 AM »

I don't feel we owe any of it to the elimination of the West, though.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #113: September 12, 2014, 03:22:53 AM »
And your point is? They lost little except a couple of regions and a bunch of gold (and, well, peasant soldiers) when the west island was closed. I don't know how many players they gained, I know that several characters did join them, but Morek hasn't really received a boost and the nations forced to migrate are or have  lost far too many players (if they still exist) for the most part. Many of those players quit the game entirely, which is exactly what BM doesn't need.

I don't even really know whom half the people in Barca are anymore.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #114: September 12, 2014, 04:06:36 AM »
And your point is? They lost little except a couple of regions and a bunch of gold (and, well, peasant soldiers) when the west island was closed. I don't know how many players they gained, I know that several characters did join them, but Morek hasn't really received a boost and the nations forced to migrate are or have  lost far too many players (if they still exist) for the most part. Many of those players quit the game entirely, which is exactly what BM doesn't need.

My point is taking the reality of one realm and making statements about the net effect across the entire game is not exactly good analysis. Not being within Barca I can't say what if any measures the players took to try and create interaction and interest in the realm during this time, but as with all things that is key. If everyone is just sitting around waiting for others to write messages, then obviously nothing is going to happen. Try instead posting something constructive. WHY was it a failure. What could have been done differently and more importantly what can be done to rectify the situation.

Also why would Morek receive a boost? It was a boring realm before the event, so it is hardly going to be top of the list for people looking for a new home unless they have good reason to think they can turn the realm around. Realms die from inactivity irrespective of things like the migration, so help us to understand why this case is significantly due to the migration. From my outsider view Barca seems to be on a downward trajectory before.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Sorandil

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #115: September 12, 2014, 02:35:52 PM »

We lost 6 regions, including 2 cities, which is almost half of our regions. I wouldn't say the event had little effect on us.

Some people join us, others quit. I would say we have about the same number as before the monsters came, maybe a bit more.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #116: September 12, 2014, 05:41:58 PM »
We lost 6 regions, including 2 cities, which is almost half of our regions. I wouldn't say the event had little effect on us.

Some people join us, others quit. I would say we have about the same number as before the monsters came, maybe a bit more.

Indeed. The loss of the West did amputate D'Hara of a significant portion on its land, namely its grainbasket. Which stacks with the loss of the Madinian holdings.

I think we do have a bit more nobles than before, but I don't attribute any of it to the destruction of the West. At least, not for now. If Barcans and Asylonians decide to join us, then the answer will become yes. And they could yet do so: becoming city knights in a wealthy realm can have a lot more perks than going to Morek and being poor lords at the edge of the world and in a realm with little perspective for fun. And unlike Morek, D'Hara has a lot of potential activities for when the war ceases, because we have both the motive (reclaiming of lost lands, revival of Maroccidentalism, cultural integration of new nobles) and the possibility (wealthy cities, proximity, developed infrastructure) to field armies and try to set up establishments where the rogues now thrive. On the other hand, if all of the Asylonians and Barcans go to Morek for easy lordships, then Dwilight will not have gained anything at all, save for the insanely low density realm to become a somewhat less but still insanely low density realm.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Dragonsbane

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #117: September 13, 2014, 05:43:59 PM »
Indeed. The loss of the West did amputate D'Hara of a significant portion on its land, namely its grainbasket. Which stacks with the loss of the Madinian holdings.

I think we do have a bit more nobles than before, but I don't attribute any of it to the destruction of the West. At least, not for now. If Barcans and Asylonians decide to join us, then the answer will become yes. And they could yet do so: becoming city knights in a wealthy realm can have a lot more perks than going to Morek and being poor lords at the edge of the world and in a realm with little perspective for fun. And unlike Morek, D'Hara has a lot of potential activities for when the war ceases, because we have both the motive (reclaiming of lost lands, revival of Maroccidentalism, cultural integration of new nobles) and the possibility (wealthy cities, proximity, developed infrastructure) to field armies and try to set up establishments where the rogues now thrive. On the other hand, if all of the Asylonians and Barcans go to Morek for easy lordships, then Dwilight will not have gained anything at all, save for the insanely low density realm to become a somewhat less but still insanely low density realm.

This is actually what brought me to D'Hara, was that after this war ends, they have the resources and activity to help me with the goal of creating something awesome, such as a monster slaying realm that does expeditions into the west and tries to take back the lands from the beasts.

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #118: September 13, 2014, 09:18:16 PM »
Most of the Things Chenier just details have already happened to Luria in the last few months.  A bit of Underdog syndrome, a bit of people seeking fun, bored people migrating into Luria and the tide changing I suppose. Lots of positive Dynamics going on. Should something like that happen to D'hara I'm sure it will be a great realm also. Its always had lots of contact with foreign realms, thats for sure.

The same is true for other realms I imagine but overall I fear that as far as my perceptions are able to detect, did the monster invasion favor the south mainly and not the north at all. Which is both strange and logical for various reasons.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #119: September 14, 2014, 12:51:01 AM »
Most of the Things Chenier just details have already happened to Luria in the last few months.  A bit of Underdog syndrome, a bit of people seeking fun, bored people migrating into Luria and the tide changing I suppose. Lots of positive Dynamics going on. Should something like that happen to D'hara I'm sure it will be a great realm also. Its always had lots of contact with foreign realms, thats for sure.

The same is true for other realms I imagine but overall I fear that as far as my perceptions are able to detect, did the monster invasion favor the south mainly and not the north at all. Which is both strange and logical for various reasons.

The thing is, Asylon and Barca used to be some of the most populated realms in the entire continent, with a population equaling Morek (but in a much more compact realm). Luria was actually behind them, and still is the only realm to have completely gained any kind of benefit from the destruction of the west. Morek has collapsed in on itself in numbers of nobles, D'Hara lost much of its food and gold production, Asylon, Barca, and Niselur all lost everything and had to takeover new regions far away from their cores, while Astrum lost most of their regions. I honestly don't know what's going on in Swordfell, they may have seen some benefit, but at the cost to their allies.