Author Topic: Noble density per realm - Dwilight  (Read 82367 times)

Zakilevo

Re: Noble density per realm - Dwilight
« Reply #135: November 21, 2014, 10:21:23 PM »
Don't forget, it was the players who chose which continent to burn. ;)

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #136: November 21, 2014, 10:45:51 PM »
Don't forget, it was the players who chose which continent to burn. ;)

What are you talking about? That was a bull!@#$ vote in which no one knew what they were really voting for. Go troll another thread.

Zakilevo

« Reply #137: November 21, 2014, 10:54:32 PM »
What are you talking about? That was a bull!@#$ vote in which no one knew what they were really voting for. Go troll another thread.

That was the point. If people knew what it was about they would have voted differently.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #138: November 21, 2014, 11:00:04 PM »
That was the point. If people knew what it was about they would have voted differently.

My view is you should never put something like this to a vote in the first place. Especially when the vote is arbitrarily going to determine something despite being completely unrelated.

I might as well just put out a poll for how many people like chocolate, and use that to determine whether I should buy a new PC. It makes just about as much sense. That vote ignored every warning sign that a simple analyzing of the population data would have told you, that Morek was on the brink of collapse anyways and that the western continent was the most active and vibrant part of Dwilight.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139: November 21, 2014, 11:01:49 PM »
... because someone in control decided they liked another realm better.
Please stop perpetuating this bull!@#$. The decisions made by the dev team during the monster invasion on Dwilight, and the freeze events on other islands, had absolutely nothing to do with realms, or the preferences of the dev team. (FWIW - The freeze/monster events wiped out my three favorite realms, two of which I had played in for 5 and 7 years.)

It's one thing to claim that a decision didn't work out the way it was intended. There's no one on the team that can't take criticism, so long as it is honest and well-intentioned. But to make claims that the dev team made such a monumental decision based on what realms were their favorites... You can just keep that slanderous bull!@#$ to yourself. Those types of unfounded, baseless allegations are damaging to the game and the community atmosphere.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #140: November 21, 2014, 11:12:09 PM »
Please stop perpetuating this bull!@#$. The decisions made by the dev team during the monster invasion on Dwilight, and the freeze events on other islands, had absolutely nothing to do with realms, or the preferences of the dev team. (FWIW - The freeze/monster events wiped out my three favorite realms, two of which I had played in for 5 and 7 years.)

It's one thing to claim that a decision didn't work out the way it was intended. There's no one on the team that can't take criticism, so long as it is honest and well-intentioned. But to make claims that the dev team made such a monumental decision based on what realms were their favorites... You can just keep that slanderous bull!@#$ to yourself. Those types of unfounded, baseless allegations are damaging to the game and the community atmosphere.

I agree Indirik. Graeth, please stop involving yourself in this discussion unless you are going to be civil and stick to an argument that has some basis in logic, rather than emotional demagoguery. You ultimately undermine any argument I make through guilt by association.

Graeth

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #141: November 21, 2014, 11:25:43 PM »

When it comes down to it, some realms were chosen to survive and some weren't. There was a choice. Unless the decision was completely arbitrary, which would seem odd for such a monumental decision, then there was some reasoning behind which realms would continue and which wouldn't. Whoever made the choice obviously liked something in those realms who stayed around more than they did in the ones that got wiped. I don't think it's unfair to point this out. I'm not crying about devs picking favorites based on their characters. No doubt if it went the other way then people from the Eastern realms would be complaining now instead. It's just the nature of the event. I merely alluded to the choice, which had little to do with my overall post anyways.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:34:28 PM by Graeth »
Geg Family: Elshon (Bel)

Graeth

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #142: November 21, 2014, 11:31:25 PM »
I agree Indirik. Graeth, please stop involving yourself in this discussion unless you are going to be civil and stick to an argument that has some basis in logic, rather than emotional demagoguery. You ultimately undermine any argument I make through guilt by association.

Go troll somewhere else. I've been completely civil. What points did I make that weren't true? A large chunk of the players left after the wipe. From my own experience many of these players were some of the most active on the island and made the game better for everyone. Regardless, many of these were people whom I've had relations with for years while carving out a fun realm on the island. The losses aren't just numerical, huge sections of the game which were integral to the community were alienated and ultimately left. Many of these losses are disproportional based on their overall influence in the game.

I've moved on, and I'm enjoying my character now, but the spark that was there before isn't there now for me. I didn't resurrect this thread. My post was in response to Scarborn who said those that critize the wipe are arrogant and that overall it has only helped the island. I disagree.
Geg Family: Elshon (Bel)

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #143: November 21, 2014, 11:40:12 PM »
Go troll somewhere else. I've been completely civil. What points did I make that weren't true? A large chunk of the players left after the wipe. From my own experience many of these players were some of the most active on the island and made the game better for everyone. Regardless, many of these were people whom I've had relations with for years while carving out a fun realm on the island. The losses aren't just numerical, huge sections of the game which were integral to the community were alienated and ultimately left. Many of these losses are disproportional based on their overall influence in the game.

I've moved on, and I'm enjoying my character now, but the spark that was there before isn't there now for me. I didn't resurrect this thread. My post was in response to Scarborn who said those that critize the wipe are arrogant and that overall it has only helped the island. I disagree.

All those are true, but you've also accused the devs of making a biased choice based on which realms they like more, which isn't true at all. The choice on Dwilight was completely arbitrary, which while is something I have huge qualms about, isn't a case of dev bias. I don't think you realize that I am the person who made this thread, specifically to look at which realms were most successful, and why destroying the part of Dwilight they were on was a horrible decision.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #144: November 22, 2014, 12:25:56 AM »
What they should have done was wiped out the eastern continent and allowed the western continent to survive in a reversal of fortunes type scenerio. The western kingdoms had only recently become a force in Dwilight and were/ would have become the driving force for future Dwilight lore. Instead the devs chose to kill off the vibrant new realms and forced everyone to go back to the less vibrant dying east. After years and years and years of the east controlling Dwilight politics the west would have been able to steer it into a new arena. Alas, that is gone and will probably never rise again.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #145: November 22, 2014, 02:39:55 AM »
I just hope that the devs learn from the mistakes made and what worked well and what didn't work well. Like I said before, I don't really blame them for the choice but it could have been better implemented.

What Dwighlight really needs is a better map, but I recognize that is a lot of work and would probably have pissed off even more people. Dunno how easy (easier, anyway) it would have been to fill in much of the central sea though.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #146: November 22, 2014, 04:21:18 AM »
What Dwilight needs now is to just be sunk. The same goes for all of the other islands - sink everything but one island, centralize play there, start over afresh. These half-assed measures killed Dwilight, when it had been doing pretty alright beforehand.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #147: November 22, 2014, 04:30:03 AM »
What Dwilight needs now is to just be sunk. The same goes for all of the other islands - sink everything but one island, centralize play there, start over afresh. These half-assed measures killed Dwilight, when it had been doing pretty alright beforehand.

I would agree with this fully.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #148: November 22, 2014, 05:05:19 PM »
From 281 to 186  players  :o

I think most people stopped playing because the 'invasion' towards the East was a big joke that was impossible to achieve. First have to fight your way out of monster-filled land and then take over a city in the east. Ain't gonna happen as the instinctive knee jerk reaction of any eastern realm is 'smash invaders, lol they can't reinforce anyways'. Manage to get captured? Get teleported back west into monster filled lands. One angry player even posted on the forum Barca was going to attack LN long before we had were even ready to leave the west.
At least I saw Barca get a toehold in the east before I quit, trying to achieve something when !@#$ is constantly thrown in your direction isn't 'fun', try playing with 0 gold, 0 troops, 0 mobility for months. Look at Barca now, from 40+ down to 12 players... Sad to see. I remember Asylon and Barca (edit oh and Astrum too) wiki pages were pretty much the only realms on Dwilight actively updating their pages.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 05:12:25 PM by Wolfang »

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #149: November 22, 2014, 05:28:33 PM »
8 players actually. We have a ghost, one who is somewhere to the north to join another realm, and one conveniently autopaused right after his unit was decimated in the battle of Aveston.

Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.