Author Topic: Noble density per realm - Dwilight  (Read 82442 times)

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Noble density per realm - Dwilight
« Reply #150: November 22, 2014, 05:49:28 PM »
I'm sorry, but your math is still wrong. It should be 195 not 186.

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #151: November 22, 2014, 06:02:54 PM »
I'm sorry, but your math is still wrong. It should be 195 not 186.
You are correct, fixed thank you.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #152: November 22, 2014, 06:26:55 PM »
The nobles of Asylon went from a very vocal and active bunch to a split and silent bunch. I hardly talk with any of the previous players I interacted with before, we went from a group of active squabbling players with tonnes of RP to a shattered and silent group of individuals trying to rebuild. If that was the purpose of the change... It succeeded wildly.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153: November 22, 2014, 11:01:42 PM »
I tend to agree that the best thing would have been to sink the eastern half and leave the western half.

However, what's done is done and we have to live with it. A major problem with Dwilight at the moment is that Morek is severely depopulated and Luria Nova is vastly overpopulated. How you fix it I don't know but I do think that a fundamental problem with Dwilight is its geography. Things could be improved if Morek was replaced by multiple, smaller realms to bring conflict to the area but there's really no IC reason for anyone to do that.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154: November 23, 2014, 12:05:00 AM »
Here's an IC reason: power. Anyone who is somewhere and not in power can go carve themselves a new kingdom out of Morek. If they really are so underpopulated, then you should be able to do it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155: November 23, 2014, 12:35:44 AM »
In theory, yes. But unfortunately the only realm with a surplus of nobles right now is Luria and they're all busy with the war.

In the long term they might migrate out but, then again, it tends to be the case that densely populated realms are more fun so characters tend not to leave them.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #156: November 23, 2014, 02:20:36 AM »
The painful reality of Dwilight without the west is that it will eternally be locked in a north vs south conflict forever. Far-east continent part 2
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Zakilevo

« Reply #157: November 23, 2014, 02:25:43 AM »
Not sure why Tom created long and narrow islands for BM while preventing realms from attacking far away.

I doubt even he saw it would cause stagnation. Maybe what we need is a new island which look more like south island in shape than east continent(dwilight is pretty much east continent except worse I think since there are mountains blocking the way in the center).

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #158: November 23, 2014, 02:51:42 AM »
Tom did say he thought creating Dwilight was one of his biggest mistakes.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #159: November 23, 2014, 03:22:26 AM »
Tom did say he thought creating Dwilight was one of his biggest mistakes.

Dwilight was actually one of the most successful continents right up until the monster invasion. Besides that, the map wasn't an issue until half of it was cut out.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #160: November 23, 2014, 03:41:23 AM »
I proposed, some time back, to merge all of the continents. I even made an example map, posted somewhere on the forums.

It would likely be a major code overgault, but the continents actually tend to fit nicely into each other, and would mostly solve the issues of linear continents and limited opportunities.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakilevo

« Reply #161: November 23, 2014, 05:14:36 AM »
Well I think the simplest solution is to remove the long distance penalty for now. This would allow realms to interact with all other realms. There are enough penalties I think. Equipment damage and being unable to convert bonds to gold except in your cities alone should be enough to make a long distance campaign difficult. If you really make it want to actually feel like a difficult campaign, why not just make the morale loss when you lose a battle more great instead?

I think it might need a drastic change to make things more lively. But I doubt it will be possible with only Tim working. He already has to fix bugs and work on WIP he proposed.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #162: November 23, 2014, 03:49:59 PM »
Well I think the simplest solution is to remove the long distance penalty for now. This would allow realms to interact with all other realms. There are enough penalties I think. Equipment damage and being unable to convert bonds to gold except in your cities alone should be enough to make a long distance campaign difficult. If you really make it want to actually feel like a difficult campaign, why not just make the morale loss when you lose a battle more great instead?

I think it might need a drastic change to make things more lively. But I doubt it will be possible with only Tim working. He already has to fix bugs and work on WIP he proposed.

I don't think that'll solve much. Fighting a battle per month, and spending the rest travelling, is not really fun. Plus gold becomes problematic as well.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #163: November 24, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »
People keep saying, "we really should have done X instead of Y. It would have been so much better!" The fact is that this is nothing more than a combination of whining, guess work and assumptions. No one can really prove that doing X would have worked better than Y but that does not seem to stop people from acting like it is universally accepted fact. Seriously, If we had done  (whatever version of X you favor) instead of Y (what was done), I bet we would just have a different group of people complaining. Of course, I can not prove this any more than any of you can prove that X would have been so much better than Y.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #164: November 24, 2014, 09:19:55 AM »
We don't know if X would be of any success, but we know for sure Y was a disaster more or less.
That being said, I agree that we should all move on as a community. And that's what the previous posters were trying to do by coming up with constructive ideas.
So please stop dragging it on, Scarborn.

On a somewhat related note, have the devs ever considered redesigning the continents? And not just cutting off slices, but actually forming a more "free-for-all" multiplayer map style landmass?