Author Topic: New Buildings  (Read 6348 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: New Buildings
« Reply #15: March 22, 2014, 05:36:26 PM »
Be nice to the Dev Team. As stated, the only thing going to change it is more devs. Who wants to join a Dev Team where you get constantly accused of incompetence, idiocy, and manipulating things in favor of your characters or against those your characters dislike?

This. A hundred times. As great a the community is at times, it is also quite hostile at others, and rampant paranoid against the dev team members is a big problem.

And it's as irrational as climate change denialism or creationism, too. I've told people a hundred times that I own the damn database, so I really don't need to go through any of the convoluted steps they often claim to give myself an advantage, all I really need to do is something along the lines of:
Code: [Select]
ssh battlemaster.org
mysql BMWorld6
update Players set Gold=Gold+5000 where id=2185;

So anyone accusing me of doing something a hundred times as complicated as that in order to gain an advantage has a serious misconception about how much spare time I have.

And it's the same for every other paranoid rambling about dev team people favoring this realm or that. It's just utterly insane, irrational and wouldn't survive the tiniest bit of scrutiny. But haters gonna hate. And it does dramatically reduce the motivation.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #16: April 10, 2014, 09:26:56 PM »
All of that mess aside, I had a couple of other ideas. What about being able to commission gifts, artwork, and the building of monuments?

Consider:

Say you want to impress a noble. Go to an artisan house and the player writes a name and a description of the item, paying a certain amount of gold based upon the level of the artisan. The piece is created over time with a certain failure rate, then delivered over time with a certain failure rate. These items, which grant no game-mechanical points, can then be held, referred back to, and so on by the player. Have it listed in the items page. We often do these things via RP's as players and it has been up to us to remember everything, but I think the opportunity for in-game user-generated content would be a tremendous addition to the game.

So Artisan Houses to get artist or sculptors. Maybe only places with an academy can have them? Maybe it could even be a class option for adventurers?!

Mines to get more gold or specific material like gems are marble

What do you folks think?
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: April 10, 2014, 09:36:10 PM »
You can just gift them a unique item. The advy class is already what you just suggested for a new class for them to be.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: April 10, 2014, 09:39:54 PM »
Building statues and monuments was an approved feature request that just never got implemented.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #19: April 11, 2014, 03:21:29 AM »
You can just gift them a unique item. The advy class is already what you just suggested for a new class for them to be.

What I mean is to create an avenue for true user-generated content that persists via game mechanics. TO my knowledge, there is nothing like this in BM or even M&F. Just thinking about it makes me love the idea of specializing an advy, or even a noble, to be an Artisan, crafting great works for worthy notables.

Are you seeing what I am seeing?
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 11, 2014, 05:01:54 AM »
What I mean is to create an avenue for true user-generated content that persists via game mechanics. TO my knowledge, there is nothing like this in BM or even M&F. Just thinking about it makes me love the idea of specializing an advy, or even a noble, to be an Artisan, crafting great works for worthy notables.

Are you seeing what I am seeing?
Not really. IMO the only difference is you don't get to pick the name of the item.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton