Author Topic: When will the Ice settle?  (Read 14606 times)

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
When will the Ice settle?
« Topic Start: March 16, 2014, 02:26:52 AM »
So are we in store for some grand event with the revised rebalance? It would be neat if the monster/undead spawns were calmed so people can focus on fighting each other. Maybe a second coming of the freaky omnipresent couple?
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

sharkattack

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: When will the Ice settle?
« Reply #1: March 16, 2014, 03:02:05 AM »
My guess is when western realms fully migrate to the east.

YegorP

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 23, 2014, 04:42:11 PM »
At this point, it has gotten more than a little silly. If the intent is to increase player density in some regions, then it'll fail on account of many players already considering leaving the game. It stopped being fun, there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. No realm has any food and all of them, even the ones in the east, are losing regions. The monsters pop up without warning and don't need refits like we do. Dwilight can't handle any increased player density at all, as practically everything is starving. Take this all as a complaint because it is.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 23, 2014, 04:43:21 PM »
Dwilight can't handle any increased player density at all, as practically everything is starving.

Good thing I'm already fully aware of that and working on a fix, then.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Sophiina

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 23, 2014, 04:49:21 PM »
Playing 'Attack on Titan - The Game' is okay for a short period of time, but in the long run it just ends up being stressful.  :(
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 04:53:03 PM by Sophiina »

Vogelens

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 23, 2014, 04:50:49 PM »
I think in part the starvation is also due to the monster groups that keep popping up, roaming in Rural Regions and not allowing to recover.

The Realm I am in has had instances where we cleared a region of monsters, and when we moved away to either refit or defend another region, the turn right after suddenly monsters appeared /again/. Large groups that need multiple troops to defeat. (And they spawned, not even moving from region to region, though this also happens it is not the issue here).

It really seems like a no-win scenario as these monsters do not need to refit at all, where players would in a war. Regions/Realms are under constant attack, without being able to even recover or try and fix damage done, or retake regions lost.

Since this situation started I have seen player activity drop due to the situation being stacked against us, in unfair ways. Change is good, and a challenge as well, but if there is literally no way to win? This is also in a realm in the east, behind the places that were considered borders for the monster horde. So it is not meant to just lose regions like that according to the announcements.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 04:52:55 PM by Vogelens »

Zephyrys

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 23, 2014, 08:44:56 PM »
I'm definitely getting a Starship Troopers vibe from the sheer number of monsters thrown at us with no reprieve in sight.  Most of my nation's good soldier recruitment centers are empty of recruits from the stupid amount of outfitting we've all needed to do for huge monster hordes that pop up, often in the same region a day after a previous horde had been wiped out.  I can't really say any of our regions are really doing well; the few that aren't being attacked have all their food stores and resources funneled to the trouble regions.

It's making me wonder... is there a point to all of this?  Is this an element that is supposed to make the game fun and engaging?  Where's the pay-off?  Because you're REALLY pushing it at the moment.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 23, 2014, 09:18:37 PM »
It is not our intent to demoralize and beat down the realms of eastern Dwilight. That is an unfortunate side effect of the fact that balancing monster spawns is surprisingly difficult. Making sure that they're strong enough to be a danger, while not strong enough to threaten your very existence, is a very, very tricky balancing act.

I've been taking some steps today to see that the hordes in the east will not be quite as threatening, but I think I may need to do some more still.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #8: March 23, 2014, 10:17:17 PM »
If the hordes in the east are this bad, I'd hate to see what the hordes in the west are like. Fissoa is constantly getting upwards of 8k CS of monsters spawning in a single region, and as soon as they're destroyed, they just respawn again a turn later.

Disturbedyang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 24, 2014, 07:37:36 AM »
It's the only way to keep the realms in the east busy why the people from the west comes over. Think about it, they are having a bigger problem. And if the east are not willing to accommodate them and keeping all the regions to themselves, more people in the west will leave the game(if you are thinking from that point of view). But people who love challenges would love things like these. So be it. After all, it's a fake character that can survive anywhere. It is not like the game is over when you lose those regions. It's how your people develop their characters.

If you are so afraid that you lose the regions, then you are obviously playing the game in a wrong way.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 24, 2014, 11:11:57 AM »
It doesn't really matter that the eastern realms are having a hard time. Wasn't this the point? To make it possible for Western realms to migrate to the east. It's already hard enough for the western realms as it is.

Graeth

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 24, 2014, 11:28:34 PM »
The monsters affect the Western realms worse, as we must deal with both Eastern realms and the monsters while trying to carve out a region without the ability to refit or resupply troops.

Geg Family: Elshon (Bel)

Zakilevo

« Reply #12: March 25, 2014, 12:20:36 AM »
Indeed. Western realms only get one shot at this. If eastern realms manage to repel the attack, western realms will be forced to join another realm.

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #13: March 26, 2014, 01:57:41 AM »
Join another realm... And then immediately join a rebellion after recruiting in the capital, and overthrow that realm's current leadership.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Graeth

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 26, 2014, 02:29:14 AM »
Join another realm... And then immediately join a rebellion after recruiting in the capital, and overthrow that realm's current leadership.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

We've thought about this, but I and I believe many others would consider this the least fun option available.  We don't want to take a realm through gamecode technicality, we want to do it the old fashioned way, through a drawn out conquest.  We are giving it a try, but it might not even be possible due to the nature of the conquest (we can't resupply or recruit while all of our enemies can).  Join and rebel would be a last resort.
Geg Family: Elshon (Bel)