Author Topic: You are currently an adventurer in <realm> owned by the lord of <blank>  (Read 6481 times)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Some advies, probably those who never "changed" realm have the above line in play-status.php

Problem is, it can't be "fixed", because no one seems to know what it's supposed to do.

so... eh.. what is it/do you think it's supposed to do?

---
told to ask here in bugtracker.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:49:02 PM by fodder »
firefox

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
It determines your home region, which affects an adventurer's ability to do various things.

For instance, closer to home, hunting is easier, and you will find more sages.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
yes... but see... the problem is the "blank" bit. it literally is blank for some advies.

http://bugs.battlemaster.org/view.php?id=5619
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:51:27 PM by fodder »
firefox

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Oh; yes, I know.  That's a bug, that I thought I had fixed, but may not have.

Also, even once it is fixed, adventurers for whom it is blank will still have it be blank.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
perhaps there should be 1-time script that binds all <blank> advies to the current realm's capital?

if it's really fixed.. then you don't need to run it more than once.. ever.
firefox

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Speaking of:

Can we get "owned" changed? It isn't even remotely close to historically correct, and doesn't even make sense IG given that many adventurers are "Freemen," by definition not owned.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Yes, I remember.

I also know that in the Background section we've talked extensively about differences between commoners and slaves, and one major difference is that commoners are not owned.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

songqu88@gmail.com

Well, why not a simple text change to "You are currently an adventurer in <realm>, hailing from the region of <region>"

It should take all of three seconds to type, and a couple minutes to see that it works correctly.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Well, why not a simple text change to "You are currently an adventurer in <realm>, hailing from the region of <region>"

It should take all of three seconds to type, and a couple minutes to see that it works correctly.

Except that the "owned" part, inaccurate as it may be, is there for a reason: to remind all adventurers that they are commoners, and thus expected to do what their Lord says, without question.

Perhaps something more like "owing fealty to the Lord of West Splodge" would be a good compromise?
Timothy Collett

songqu88@gmail.com

I suppose if you're nice and generous about that sort of thing. I can't be certain, but I would imagine that with the new family system, people aren't barred from making adventurers only after 100 days? If so, then I guess we could be more clear about what they should expect. If not, then they have played for 100 days already, and they had ample time to learn what a commoner's place is. Any mistakes and they pay for it.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Perhaps something more like "owing fealty to the Lord of West Splodge" would be a good compromise?

That would be perfect.

Even if it were stronger language, "Bound to the region of Keplerstan" would be fine. Just not owned.

In fact, "Bound to Region X" is exactly historically correct.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
How about we use the term "subject" instead of "owned by"?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
That would be perfect.

Even if it were stronger language, "Bound to the region of Keplerstan" would be fine. Just not owned.

In fact, "Bound to Region X" is exactly historically correct.

In a historical context are Freemen also bound to a region? I thought that was one of the things that made them a freeman?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
As far as I'm aware, freemen were allowed to go wherever they liked. However, most realms had laws against foreigners (for example, they weren't protected by the law) so in reality a freeman would be limited to his own realm. That's only in theory of course. Most freemen would probably have been able to blend in anywhere.

So I think that maybe when someone becomes a freeman it should change to "Bound to the realm of X" to reflect the change in status.