BattleMaster > Magistrates Case Archive

Corsanctum Attempting Strategic Capital Move

<< < (3/5) > >>

Graeth:
Right on, like I said, I didn't think capitals could leave the realm and the timing was very suspect.  Sorry to waste any time.

Anaris:

--- Quote from: Velax on March 22, 2014, 01:17:08 AM ---So if a realm loses its capital to glacier/monsters, does it have to choose a city away from the frontlines as the new capital as long as there is one available?

--- End quote ---

Not necessarily. I think it would have to be a case-by-case determination.

To give some locally relevant examples that I hope show my thought process:

* If Kindara's capital had been Osaliel, then moving the capital to Masahakon after Osaliel fell would have been no problem whatsoever. It is a large city near the center of their realm.
* I would consider it a mildly gray area for Kindara to move their capital to Zonasa or Taop, but I wouldn't press the issue hard. They are both relatively small, recently-taken cities, but they've held them for a few weeks now, and under the circumstances, I could certainly see them being worried about Masahakon (and other cities further to the southwest) getting iced.
* I would consider it quite inappropriate for Kindara to move their capital to Ipsosez. It is a region they've held for a very short time, it's not in very good shape, and not only is it directly on the front line of the war, it's actually a bit of a stretch from the bulk of their regions. It's also a stronghold, rather than a city, which I would consider a minor point against it in this matter. I think the most important consideration, though, is that it is well out into their frontier, while there are multiple more suitable candidates available.

Anaris:

--- Quote from: Graeth on March 22, 2014, 01:50:16 AM ---Right on, like I said, I didn't think capitals could leave the realm and the timing was very suspect.  Sorry to waste any time.

--- End quote ---

They certainly can. It's rare for them to do so without being pushed, but it does happen.

Stabbity:

--- Quote from: Anaris on March 22, 2014, 02:01:39 AM ---Not necessarily. I think it would have to be a case-by-case determination.

To give some locally relevant examples that I hope show my thought process:

* If Kindara's capital had been Osaliel, then moving the capital to Masahakon after Osaliel fell would have been no problem whatsoever. It is a large city near the center of their realm.
* I would consider it a mildly gray area for Kindara to move their capital to Zonasa or Taop, but I wouldn't press the issue hard. They are both relatively small, recently-taken cities, but they've held them for a few weeks now, and under the circumstances, I could certainly see them being worried about Masahakon (and other cities further to the southwest) getting iced.
* I would consider it quite inappropriate for Kindara to move their capital to Ipsosez. It is a region they've held for a very short time, it's not in very good shape, and not only is it directly on the front line of the war, it's actually a bit of a stretch from the bulk of their regions. It's also a stronghold, rather than a city, which I would consider a minor point against it in this matter. I think the most important consideration, though, is that it is well out into their frontier, while there are multiple more suitable candidates available.
--- End quote ---

You realize that the four options available based off the glacier projections are Haul, Taop, Zonasa and Ipsosez, right?

Haul is not really an option frankly, given the mountains.

Indirik:

--- Quote from: Anaris on March 22, 2014, 12:24:52 AM ---Why, in real-world terms, would it be "smart" to put your capital city—the seat of your entire realm's government—on the front line of a war?

--- End quote ---
But it worked out so well for the Barony of Makar...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version