BattleMaster > Magistrates Case Archive

Corsanctum Attempting Strategic Capital Move

<< < (2/5) > >>

Anaris:

--- Quote from: Stabbity on March 21, 2014, 07:52:37 PM ---Isn't this not even a rule anymore? I was pretty sure you could move your capital whenever, for whatever reason, hence the stat penalty to your regions.

--- End quote ---

This has always been the case with capital moves. It's meant as a penalty just for doing such a monumental task, not as a replacement for the rule.

However, the rule has never been "don't move your capital in time of war." The rule is "don't move your capital purely or primarily so that you can recruit closer to the front line."

--- Quote ---Also, wasn't Corsanctum's capital Mimer? Seeing as it is no longer apart of their realm, that kind of necessitates a capital change.

--- End quote ---

Any realm that has lost its capital certainly has to move it to a new region. I can come up with some hypothetical examples where it could still be an illegal capital move (for instance, they have 2 cities left in the realm, one in the middle of their realm, the other near the front line, and they move it to the less central one for the recruitment benefit); however, in general, I think that realms whose capital has been lost should get at least a little extra leeway in these things.

Gustav Kuriga:

--- Quote from: Anaris on March 21, 2014, 09:01:57 PM ---This has always been the case with capital moves. It's meant as a penalty just for doing such a monumental task, not as a replacement for the rule.

However, the rule has never been "don't move your capital in time of war." The rule is "don't move your capital purely or primarily so that you can recruit closer to the front line."

Any realm that has lost its capital certainly has to move it to a new region. I can come up with some hypothetical examples where it could still be an illegal capital move (for instance, they have 2 cities left in the realm, one in the middle of their realm, the other near the front line, and they move it to the less central one for the recruitment benefit); however, in general, I think that realms whose capital has been lost should get at least a little extra leeway in these things.

--- End quote ---

Even that hypothetical is a very weak argument for punishment. There's a huge difference between making a decision to move the capital while you still control the city, and choosing the best of two options when you're forced to after the capital leaves in a hostile manner. Shouldn't be penalized when making a smart decision out of a bad situation.

Anaris:

--- Quote from: Gustav Kuriga on March 21, 2014, 09:49:51 PM ---Even that hypothetical is a very weak argument for punishment. There's a huge difference between making a decision to move the capital while you still control the city, and choosing the best of two options when you're forced to after the capital leaves in a hostile manner. Shouldn't be penalized when making a smart decision out of a bad situation.

--- End quote ---

I think the fact that you view it as necessarily the "smart" decision shows just how deep the misunderstanding goes about the reasoning for this rule in the first place.

Why, in real-world terms, would it be "smart" to put your capital city—the seat of your entire realm's government—on the front line of a war? Remember, the fact that it is also your sole recruitment base is an OOC restriction intended to maintain gameplay balance.

Frankly, it's comments like these that make me want to implement stiff penalties for having your capital sacked, or even just losing a battle there to any significant number of enemy troops. Maybe if, say, tax collection was suspended for two full weeks after such an event due to the civil turmoil, people might think twice about the front line being a strategically "smart" place for their capital....

OFaolain:
The capitol of Corsanctum was Mimer; after Mimer left the realm we didn't have one until we moved it to Freke, which is now the capitol (and, incidentally, NOT on the front lines unless you lot have ANOTHER doom fleet).  In what way is that "strategic"?  If you thought it was Unterstrom, you should have checked first.

Anaris, we did do the smart thing: we re-established our capitol within the core of our realm (mimer to freke is city-town-town-city) and away from the front lines.  Putting it in Unterstrom would have been stupid, and that was our only other option.

Velax:

--- Quote from: Anaris on March 21, 2014, 09:01:57 PM ---I can come up with some hypothetical examples where it could still be an illegal capital move (for instance, they have 2 cities left in the realm, one in the middle of their realm, the other near the front line, and they move it to the less central one for the recruitment benefit); however, in general, I think that realms whose capital has been lost should get at least a little extra leeway in these things.

--- End quote ---

So if a realm loses its capital to glacier/monsters, does it have to choose a city away from the frontlines as the new capital as long as there is one available?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version