Author Topic: Corsanctum Attempting Strategic Capital Move  (Read 14617 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Corsanctum Attempting Strategic Capital Move
« Reply #15: March 22, 2014, 03:31:11 AM »
You realize that the four options available based off the glacier projections are Haul, Taop, Zonasa and Ipsosez, right?

Haul is not really an option frankly, given the mountains.

I should clarify that these thoughts are based on the situation as it exists now.

There is no guarantee that Masahakon will be glaciated, and if it does, it will be some time before it happens. A lot could change between now and then.

...And yeah, Haul's not a viable option ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #16: March 22, 2014, 04:48:12 AM »
I think the fact that you view it as necessarily the "smart" decision shows just how deep the misunderstanding goes about the reasoning for this rule in the first place.

Why, in real-world terms, would it be "smart" to put your capital city—the seat of your entire realm's government—on the front line of a war? Remember, the fact that it is also your sole recruitment base is an OOC restriction intended to maintain gameplay balance.

Frankly, it's comments like these that make me want to implement stiff penalties for having your capital sacked, or even just losing a battle there to any significant number of enemy troops. Maybe if, say, tax collection was suspended for two full weeks after such an event due to the civil turmoil, people might think twice about the front line being a strategically "smart" place for their capital....

And frankly if that were implemented, I'd have no trouble with it. You have to judge the risks in warfare. Just as military commanders make judgements on how close supply depots should be to the front line while still being relatively safe from attack; the closer your capital is to the front line, the more risk you take in the city being sacked and made unusable for recruiting. I still don't see how it could be considered a strategic capital move in the rules sense if they lost their previous one.

Besides that, why should we be forced to roleplay our characters as logically thinking? If I want my character (assuming he becomes Ruler some day) to move the capital after the previous one went rogue/seceded/changed realms to one that is close to where the enemy is because he wants to spite the enemy, why can't I?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: March 22, 2014, 02:52:45 PM »
Maybe if, say, tax collection was suspended for two full weeks after such an event due to the civil turmoil, people might think twice about the front line being a strategically "smart" place for their capital....

That sounds like a very good idea. Anything which reduces the cognitive dissonance between the OOC rules and IC actions is good for the game! And it makes a lot of IC sense.

I say do it!
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: March 22, 2014, 07:21:02 PM »
I think the fact that you view it as necessarily the "smart" decision shows just how deep the misunderstanding goes about the reasoning for this rule in the first place.

Why, in real-world terms, would it be "smart" to put your capital city—the seat of your entire realm's government—on the front line of a war? Remember, the fact that it is also your sole recruitment base is an OOC restriction intended to maintain gameplay balance.

Frankly, it's comments like these that make me want to implement stiff penalties for having your capital sacked, or even just losing a battle there to any significant number of enemy troops. Maybe if, say, tax collection was suspended for two full weeks after such an event due to the civil turmoil, people might think twice about the front line being a strategically "smart" place for their capital....

Moscow doesn't look very central to me...

Nor Ottawa... Heck, Ottawa was chosen SPECIFICALLY for strategic reasons. Don't go telling me nations didn't have strategic considerations when they chose where to install their capitals...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: March 22, 2014, 10:03:18 PM »
Moscow doesn't look very central to me...

Nor Ottawa... Heck, Ottawa was chosen SPECIFICALLY for strategic reasons. Don't go telling me nations didn't have strategic considerations when they chose where to install their capitals...

Yes, the famed Ottowan Moose Cavalry, responsible for many a slain hockey puck due to the nearness of their captial centralized recruitment centers.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

bofeng

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: March 23, 2014, 12:14:05 AM »
How about moving back to the old capital city once the city was recovered?

In the case of Cathay, Anacan was lost several weeks ago and no one expected to stay in Azros forever. Historically, Anacan is located more close to the center of the realm, but not right now.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: March 23, 2014, 12:48:08 AM »
How about moving back to the old capital city once the city was recovered?

In the case of Cathay, Anacan was lost several weeks ago and no one expected to stay in Azros forever. Historically, Anacan is located more close to the center of the realm, but not right now.

That falls under cultural reasons, and is acceptable.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.