Author Topic: Active religions of BT  (Read 4810 times)

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
Active religions of BT
« Topic Start: March 22, 2014, 05:59:08 PM »
I'm curious, what're the *active* religions of BT at the moment? Mu character runs the Church of Sartan on BT which only has three noble followers but last time I checked it seems to have spread quite far over the continent which I wouldn't have expected to happen with lots of other religions about.

Also, in Ar Agyr where the Church is based I've noticed that the majority of characters seem to be pagan with no inclination to join any faith. Is this the same in other realms where traditional religions are no longer active?

Because, I have to say, it's a bit disappointing to see how little religious dynamism there is in Beluaterra compared to the Far East where I have another character and there are at least two different crusades being waged at the moment.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Active religions of BT
« Reply #1: March 22, 2014, 06:44:29 PM »
I can't really claim it to be terribly active at present, but my character is the head of Quintarianism in the south, and I'd be overjoyed to have some other people come in to help me run it ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 22, 2014, 09:23:14 PM »
Hemaism recently (a few months ago) fell apart on BT, leaving a huge hole in the northwest where Sint used to be. (Where Spearhold is now.)  That creates a lot of opportunity for other religions to spread quickly. I imagine Church of Humanity and Daishi ended up with a lot of that, though.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Noldorin

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 23, 2014, 06:37:09 PM »
I can't really claim it to be terribly active at present, but my character is the head of Quintarianism in the south, and I'd be overjoyed to have some other people come in to help me run it ;D

Ill just take that one right off and replace "Quintaa...." with "Order of the Golden Feather" and "south" with "north". OOGF is the main religion in Thalmarkin and is spread a little in OG and AA, but nothing more than so i think. Would have liked to have the religion as a tool for war (or any other reason for war), so feel free to start cooking up something! Religion was one of the driving forces between the Thalmarkin/Melhed war (against the the bloodspeakers), and that worked well enough.
Everything in my own immediate experience supports my deep belief that I am the absolute center of the universe, the realest, most vivid and important person in existence.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 25, 2014, 02:10:56 AM »
The list of active religions in the whole game can probably be counted with a single hand.

BT has a ton of space for priests to convert peasants in, namely the rogue lands around Caelum and Enweil + the realms who no longer have a structured faith. However, even if BT was once lively religion-wise, getting people involed in religion now should not prove to be an easy task.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 30, 2014, 08:42:08 AM »
Ill just take that one right off and replace "Quintaa...." with "Order of the Golden Feather" and "south" with "north". OOGF is the main religion in Thalmarkin and is spread a little in OG and AA, but nothing more than so i think. Would have liked to have the religion as a tool for war (or any other reason for war), so feel free to start cooking up something! Religion was one of the driving forces between the Thalmarkin/Melhed war (against the the bloodspeakers), and that worked well enough.

Religion was also part of Hemaism's demise (along with boredom and liquor). I'm not sure they needed more than a shove though. Thalmarkin loves some crusades even if its own nobles are kind of a mixed bag.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 30, 2014, 01:51:29 PM »
Sint had been the target of a lot of angry people for years. I'm surprised it took so long for a couple of realms to team up on them and wipe them out.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 31, 2014, 02:44:06 AM »
Well, when it finally did happen, they basically collapsed from a little nudge by Thalmarkin.

Disturbedyang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 31, 2014, 12:50:44 PM »
Melhed would had got to them first if not for Fronen's persistent to fight us. :p After all, we are the one who spread rumours. Haha

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 31, 2015, 03:48:22 PM »
I know this is an old post but a very good point indeed.

Religions do not seem to be a very popular thing on BT, because most of the players go there for war, I assume.

As Noldorin stated above, The Order of The Golden Feather was quite active back in the days, being spread almost over all of Thalmarkin and maybe even some in OG/AA. It collapsed though, due to no elder positions being ran by priests anymore.

Anyway, it got resurrected more recently, by a few people in Thalmarkin including myself. I have been running it but I sense it is quite hard to 'sell' it to the other nobles. It takes time and gets quite boring for most people. (Could of course also have to do with its content). Also you need a lot of imagination to keep things alive and get things going, which I currently lack abit I guess. And I doubt there are many people wishing to actively play priest characters on BT with all the fun going on right now.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 31, 2015, 03:58:49 PM »
The big problem with religion is that to make it fun and exciting it had to have power. In order to have power players have to be willing to subjugate their characters to its authority voluntarily. And they have to be willing to use the game mechanics power given to them by their secular positions for the benefit of their religion, even in defiance of that secular organization. It's very hard to find people willing to do that. We had it in the early days of SA, and it rocked.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 31, 2015, 04:11:04 PM »
Very true. So message to Noldorin: join the Golden Feather, you King of Kings, Beard of Beards!

Anyway, we'll keep trying!
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)