Author Topic: Numenism  (Read 5964 times)

cjnodell

Numenism
« Topic Start: May 13, 2011, 08:11:54 PM »
After looking through the religions suggested in the "Discriminating Religions" thread I think I would rather try and start a new religion. I have written up a bit and would love to hear what others think.

Edit:
I took this down as it has been brought to my attention that parts might be offensive to others. I think that I will leave religion creating to others for now as I am clearly not quite there yet!!!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:15:52 PM by Pelgart »

egamma

Re: Numenism
« Reply #1: May 14, 2011, 03:06:35 PM »
Don't use the name Elohim-it's the name of the RL God of Jews and Christians, so that would be a major violation.

Use Elfeim or something made-up like that.

cjnodell

« Reply #2: May 14, 2011, 06:08:13 PM »
Good point. Not being religious myself I did not consider how borrowing names might be considered disrespectfully... Sorry if I offended anyone!

egamma

« Reply #3: May 15, 2011, 08:34:45 PM »
Not a huge deal--you could have simply did a find & replace on what you had so far, with new names.

cjnodell

« Reply #4: May 15, 2011, 09:15:28 PM »
True... and I might one day. I was not sure if I was 100% liking the religion. I was hoping to get some input here on potential improvements, but I think I will just ponder things a bit and perhaps come back to it later when I have had more experience with the whole religion aspect of BM.

egamma

« Reply #5: May 17, 2011, 02:18:24 PM »
Feel free to simply clone a religion from one island to another--I don't think anyone would have a problem with that, after all, you're spreading their religion, right?

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 17, 2011, 08:10:27 PM »
Feel free to simply clone a religion from one island to another--I don't think anyone would have a problem with that, after all, you're spreading their religion, right?

That depends on what liberties you take with it.

egamma

« Reply #7: May 18, 2011, 03:38:05 AM »
That depends on what liberties you take with it.

I'm saying not to take any liberties with it--all I said was to copy it.

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 18, 2011, 07:02:06 AM »
Take craploads of liberties with it.  Become a heretic who recieved his insights third hand.

egamma

« Reply #9: May 18, 2011, 02:20:42 PM »
Take craploads of liberties with it.  Become a heretic who recieved his insights third hand.

But that requires actual work, writing your own wiki documents. Much easier to use wiki pages created by someone else.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 18, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »

Qyrvaggism much?

Qyrvaggism derives from Sartanianism, which derives from the Church of Ibladesh.

Yeah.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 20, 2011, 10:04:53 AM »
Actually I think borrowing or even outright copying the doctrine of other religions would make BM more realistic and culturally linked up  :D
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: May 26, 2011, 03:52:19 PM »
I'd love to see an off-shoot of Serpaensism where the dragon creature isn't evil!  =)

Then again I'm just partial to a religion that won't quit.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 26, 2011, 04:20:11 PM »
Actually I think borrowing or even outright copying the doctrine of other religions would make BM more realistic and culturally linked up  :D

Yeah. Just make the Major Prophet of another religion your minor prophet, and name yourself Major Prophet :D Islam ftw.

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: May 29, 2011, 07:41:23 AM »
It might not require much writing at all, just interpete things wildly differently and expound on how you know what they really mean.

Then you can have people point out that there is nothing in the text which supports these claims and you can claim they are outsiders who never really understood the greater meaning of the religion.

As long as you're an active talker, I don't know how much formal wikiwork is needed.  Often I think wikis can get in the way of a real good "Four Legs Good, Two Legs Better" moment.   If a religion isn't Orwellian, it's just not trying (as someone who's religion has people's arms torn out of their sockets "as a mercy and kindness to them")