Author Topic: Transition time for items among nobles  (Read 2749 times)

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Transition time for items among nobles
« Topic Start: April 23, 2014, 04:15:17 AM »
Title: Transition time for items among nobles

Summary: Impose a period of time before the nobles can buy/sell their items from/to other nobles.

Details: I think it's no secret how items can be bought and sold between nobles of the same realm or even of different realms to transfer gold deliberately. As the system is being made with gold and not bonds, there's two changes to avoid such trick: a certain time to transfer, or do it with bonds instead of gold. 

Benefits: Implicit. Instead of trusting that we are all infallible, create methods to ensure that we are indeed infallible. Game mechanics instead of simple trust.

Possible Downsides/Exploits: I failed to see one, since the current system is already "failed" in this point of view.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Transition time for items among nobles
« Reply #1: April 23, 2014, 05:29:22 AM »
I might be missing something, but all I see is a another needless restriction. I don't see how this would benefit the game. If you own something, it's yours to with as you please, including selling it.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 23, 2014, 05:42:56 AM »
I might be missing something, but all I see is a another needless restriction. I don't see how this would benefit the game. If you own something, it's yours to with as you please, including selling it.
I am not sure if you ignored the details part, but the point is ease to abuse the current game mechanics to exchange gold without a bank. I understand where he is coming from, but I am not sure I agree with the suggestion.

I think making it more specific by making it a day before that item can be traded again with the other noble could work to prevent the abuse while not letting it adversely affect others. The issue with this suggestion is it involves tracking the trade of an item, which is more data needing to be kept, albeit only for a day.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 23, 2014, 05:56:58 AM »
I don't think it's an abuse, it's a mutually beneficial transaction.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 23, 2014, 06:18:57 AM »
I think it's an abuse. I just don't know if I intend to explain it better to give more people a chance to abuse it.
Serpentis again!

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #5: April 23, 2014, 06:23:39 AM »

Buffalkill - the abuse comes because it is a way to transfer money to units on the battlefield, far from their own cities.

An extreme example of this would be a single "runner" who comes out to the siege party with 2000 gold & just does a series of transactions back and forth of the same item, with the true purpose of distributing gold so that nobles don't have to break off the siege to refit as the game intends for them.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 23, 2014, 10:31:36 AM »
For what it's worth, this is already considered a mechanic abuse in a code comment, there's just never been a fix implemented.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #7: April 23, 2014, 01:01:40 PM »
A one-day delay seems like a good solution, and simple to code, too.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 23, 2014, 05:59:39 PM »
Thank you.
Serpentis again!