Author Topic: Ice is Nice  (Read 13204 times)

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Ice is Nice
« Topic Start: April 07, 2014, 03:53:58 AM »
A Night of Ominous Lights   (14 minutes ago)
message to Everyone on Dwilight
The past few days have been cloudy, and mariners sailing the seas west of Dwilight have reported seeing a strange light reflecting off the clouds further out to sea. Today, though, a strong wind has scoured the skies clear, and at midnight the first quarter moon rises clear and bright.

Its light shining down meets another light from below: an eerie greenish glow, emanating from the western sea. It source is beyond sight of shore, but ships sailing just far enough west that they can barely see land return with their captains pale and shuddering as they report that the light is shining from terrible glaciers just visible from their vantage point within sight of land.

Just when most people are putting it aside and beginning to sink into an uneasy slumber, though, yet another phenomenon appears: vast transparent curtains of greenish-purple light rippling throughout the night sky. This aurora must be the harbinger of something dreadful, for as soon as it appears, a strange sound begins to emanate from woods and rocky highlands, and wilderness all across the continent. It grows in strength until it is clear that every monster on the continent is giving tongue in a terrible howl. The moment it reaches an unbearable volume, it stops, and at the same instant, the aurora vanishes. Then the earth begins to tremble as thousands of clawed, hooved, and padded feet begin thundering toward the west...toward the Iceglow.

I assume this is basically more flavor for the "monsters reclaiming the west" thing, but could there be more to this?
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Zakilevo

Re: Ice is Nice
« Reply #1: April 07, 2014, 04:06:32 AM »
I assume this is basically more flavor for the "monsters reclaiming the west" thing, but could there be more to this?

After the message, a lot of monsters spawn near Luria Nova. Wonder what is going on.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 07, 2014, 05:04:17 AM »
Every other message sent with the event has had effects, so it would seem its safe to say that will hold true here.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

sharkattack

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 07, 2014, 09:30:18 AM »
After the message, a lot of monsters spawn near Luria Nova. Wonder what is going on.

Maybe the devs want to get rid off every realm except Morek? JKJK

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 07, 2014, 12:40:05 PM »
How come LN is crumpling whereas Morek is bigger than ever?

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 07, 2014, 01:19:58 PM »
What they did to Dwilight should be criminal.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #6: April 07, 2014, 05:23:49 PM »
I think it's to give the western realms a better chance in their invasion. However, it is a bit heavy-handed.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 07, 2014, 06:47:05 PM »
20k cs just popped up in Luria's already ruined regions because of the long starvation. Well, bye bye this realm, on to the next!
Ardet nec consumitur.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 07, 2014, 07:09:32 PM »
That was hilarious. You shouldn't be so pessimistic, you have tons of new nobles.

(one province alone in Barca has 26K CS ! :P )
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 07:15:10 PM by Wolfang »

Roran

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 07, 2014, 07:16:14 PM »
Consider it like this: It's only 20k CS monsters in just one turn. The first wave of monsters in Barca counted to a combined 56k CS or something close to that. Then again, we didn't immediately run to the forums and cry about it (well, we might have). There's a !@#$load of regions in the East who received monsters today, you just had less luck.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 07:18:51 PM by Roran »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 07, 2014, 07:32:19 PM »
To be quite clear:

Every region on the continent spawned all the monsters it was capable of spawning when the lights appeared in the sky.

Then they all started running west.

They will keep going west.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 07, 2014, 08:17:14 PM »
We had just ended a cruel long war with Astrum and then this happened we didnt stand a chance. What Asylon could have become after absolutely years of hard work only to see it shattered by the Dev's and GM's makes me sick. Especially when it seems so one-sided. Im still here enjoying the game but its very clear that there seems to be something very unfair going on.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 07, 2014, 08:22:14 PM »
We had just ended a cruel long war with Astrum and then this happened we didnt stand a chance. What Asylon could have become after absolutely years of hard work only to see it shattered by the Dev's and GM's makes me sick. Especially when it seems so one-sided. Im still here enjoying the game but its very clear that there seems to be something very unfair going on.

Life is unfair. There's no way around it.

And there was no way to effectively remove half of Dwilight's regions that would not be unfair. Maybe you would have preferred a different way, a way that hut someone else, instead of you. But that would just have been unfair to them, instead.

The only way to avoid being unfair would have been to double the number of players on Dwilight, and that just wasn't going to happen.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 08, 2014, 02:36:22 AM »
Life is unfair. There's no way around it.

And there was no way to effectively remove half of Dwilight's regions that would not be unfair. Maybe you would have preferred a different way, a way that hut someone else, instead of you. But that would just have been unfair to them, instead.

The only way to avoid being unfair would have been to double the number of players on Dwilight, and that just wasn't going to happen.

Games are supposed to be played by the rules...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 08, 2014, 02:42:31 AM »
Games are supposed to be played by the rules...

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean.

Do you mean that the dev team is breaking the IR? If so, then please give specific examples (and "making things harder so people have to log in more often to succeed" doesn't count).

Or do you mean that we're changing the rules now? If so, then...you're absolutely right, and we change the rules all the time. That's part of BattleMaster being a game under constant development.

Or are you trying to say something else?
Timothy Collett