Author Topic: Ice is Nice  (Read 13216 times)

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Ice is Nice
« Reply #15: April 08, 2014, 03:16:54 AM »
To be quite clear:

Every region on the continent spawned all the monsters it was capable of spawning when the lights appeared in the sky.

Then they all started running west.

They will keep going west.

The monsters look like they are moving east, at least here in LN....

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: April 08, 2014, 04:04:51 AM »
The monsters look like they are moving east, at least here in LN....

Well, sometimes to get to the west, you have to go east first.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: April 08, 2014, 04:34:40 AM »
Dwilight was fine it didn't need Dev intervention. We had very healthy gameplay and history that was utterly destroyed by outside GM interference. The Devs destroyed years of hard work on a server that didn't need it.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: April 08, 2014, 04:36:53 AM »
Dwilight was fine it didn't need Dev intervention. We had very healthy gameplay and history that was utterly destroyed by outside GM interference. The Devs destroyed years of hard work on a server that didn't need it.

You're entitled to your opinion on this (and obviously there's no hard evidence either way, at least not yet), but we clearly disagree.

The player density on Dwilight was dropping very low, and that is not conducive to engaging gameplay.

Yes, your realm got screwed. We get that. It sucks, and I am sorry.

But if you keep posting this sort of thing over and over again, I'm afraid it's just going to start getting moderated.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #19: April 08, 2014, 05:07:25 AM »
You're entitled to your opinion on this (and obviously there's no hard evidence either way, at least not yet), but we clearly disagree.

The player density on Dwilight was dropping very low, and that is not conducive to engaging gameplay.

Yes, your realm got screwed. We get that. It sucks, and I am sorry.

But if you keep posting this sort of thing over and over again, I'm afraid it's just going to start getting moderated.

Things may have been boring in Morek (which i believe had an abysmal 1:1 noble to region ratio), but Barca and Asylon were densely populated, very active realms. Barca was the most densely populated realm on the entire continent. We have been losing characters ourselves because of this. Congrats on destroying the most well populated realms. congrats

Graeth

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 08, 2014, 05:19:34 AM »
Things may have been boring in Morek (which i believe had an abysmal 1:1 noble to region ratio), but Barca and Asylon were densely populated, very active realms. Barca was the most densely populated realm on the entire continent. We have been losing characters ourselves because of this. Congrats on destroying the most well populated realms. congrats

I've kept from this because there is not much use in whining about what has happened.  However, if others are going to say something, I feel I should as well. 

This is the same in Asylon.  We pulled in a large amount of new nobles, and before these events were able to also retain most all of them.  Much more than any other realm I've been a part of in the game since 2007.  The fact that those in charge chose to destroy the realms that were actually benefiting the longevity of the game (and coincidentally, had the least presence of those making OOC decisions) runs completely contrary to the rhetoric given for these events.  I've never seen as much realm activity as I have in my time in Asylon, and now we've lost quite a few due to recent events.  Also I thought the entire point of Dwilight was to have an island with less player density?  I thought it was never supposed to be full enough so that all regions were accounted for, and yet we nearly reached that.

I'm sure the cuts were done quite arbitrarily, but taking out the active realms for the stagnant, dev/magistrate run realms does little to further this image.

Edit: I understand those involved in these decisions and implementations dedicate a certain amount of their lives towards this game and expect little back.  However, since the beginning,  Asylon and those in charge of it have proactively dedicated much time towards creating an environment which fosters player activity and holds player retention.  We achieved both of these...by playing with the rules.  I think we are entitled to a certain amount of dissension when measures outside of these rules are undertaken in the name of the things we accomplished, while simultaneously destroying it all.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:49:14 AM by Graeth »
Geg Family: Elshon (Bel)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #21: April 08, 2014, 06:08:25 AM »
Edit: I understand those involved in these decisions and implementations dedicate a certain amount of their lives towards this game and expect little back.  However, since the beginning,  Asylon and those in charge of it have proactively dedicated much time towards creating an environment which fosters player activity and holds player retention.  We achieved both of these...by playing with the rules.  I think we are entitled to a certain amount of dissension when measures outside of these rules are undertaken in the name of the things we accomplished, while simultaneously destroying it all.

I assume you meant to say "by playing within the rules."

sharkattack

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: April 08, 2014, 09:26:03 AM »
I can confirm what Graeth said. Asylon have been loosing nobles since the event started. Every couple of days someone deletes their character.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: April 08, 2014, 10:33:18 AM »
I think that everyone understands and agrees actions have to be taken to increase the noble density in the game. Where it goes wrong i think is that the devs try not to look at the current state of a continent before taking an action and only look at the potential end result. By this approach they underestimate the damage done during the change process.

Atanamir

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: April 08, 2014, 11:11:04 AM »
I think that everyone understands and agrees actions have to be taken to increase the noble density in the game. Where it goes wrong i think is that the devs try not to look at the current state of a continent before taking an action and only look at the potential end result. By this approach they underestimate the damage done during the change process.

+1

Bjarnson

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: April 08, 2014, 11:22:59 AM »
Well, sometimes to get to the west, you have to go east first.

Can mosters travel through sealanes? Or do they have to cross the continent where there are bridges or land connected?
King Grimrog Bjarnson of Asylon.

Lychaon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: April 08, 2014, 11:26:32 AM »
I think they're too noisy to be accepted to board ferries  :P

Bjarnson

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: April 08, 2014, 11:40:04 AM »
I think they're too noisy to be accepted to board ferries  :P

hehehe, guess so. But that means ALL monsters in the east must march north then west? =D
King Grimrog Bjarnson of Asylon.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: April 08, 2014, 12:34:55 PM »
Barca has also been losing nobles and by the looks of it will still be losing a couple more. Hopefully things will get better if we ever manage to get a foothold in the east... Too bad it looks like a large part of Niselur assimilated into Luria Nova already. Will just make things harder for us..

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: April 08, 2014, 01:11:36 PM »
The most annoying thing is realms like Morek and Luria, Astrum etc were some of the original founded realms on an empty continent and what we did in the west was constant struggle from day one and they chose to destroy all of our hard work and then left the favoured realms in the east continent with no struggle at all. Asylon fought hard for what it had, and so did Barca and D'Hara and Niselur. What was done was a travesty to the only server with a rich player driven narrative and history. Im going to keep playing but it will always be with the knowledge that if ones realms challenges the established order of Dwilight it will be destroyed.
We live lives in beautiful lies...