Author Topic: Number of Players Lost Since Glacier?  (Read 106002 times)

Lubomirski

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Re: Number of Players Lost Since Glacier?
« Reply #105: April 15, 2014, 07:16:10 AM »
I believe the Dev’s desire to create “Hordes” to move into the East is a failure for the monster outbreaks and starvation actively worked against Barca being able to construct a force to achieve that goal.  I believe the Dev’s tried to give the hordes a fighting chance after all they did reduce the morale and upkeep penalties but they did not change the equipment damage rate so even though Barca won the initial battles their equipment was almost useless and they took losses they can never replace. 

Zakilevo

« Reply #106: April 15, 2014, 07:21:48 AM »
Equipment damage wasn't that big of a deal. I knew that was going to have some impact.

You were supposed to use the seas or hit your neighbours. If you are really desperate, who cares about your allies. You first allies second. Barca had a chance. They just didn't communicate enough. If they knew their allies were in trouble, they should have known they weren't going to come to help them anytime soon.

Also, Barca kept on wasting their time on looting. They had one replaceable army and they decided to waste it on doing nothing. When they finally decided to do something, they didn't have much to work with. On top of that their inexperience with TO system also brought them down.

Just all the mistakes coming together to form a disaster.

Lychaon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #107: April 15, 2014, 12:27:09 PM »
Well obviously Barca sucks. Their nobles have no loyalty, no trust in their allies, and don't like to communicate but then complain that their allies didn't magically arrive right when Barca did.

Yeah, sorry. After crossing the sea, going through Fissoan regions towards Luria and not seeing monsters, then receiving a letter from Fissoan generals threatening to withdraw their support because of an isolate case of killing of peasants in a Lurian region, kind of made us hesitate. That along with the absolute absence of a single ally until we got screwed up.

I'd like to see what D'Harans would have done in a similar situation.

Vogelens

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #108: April 15, 2014, 12:47:15 PM »
Fissoa communicated with Barcan leadership, and even mentioned they would not be able to help until monsters were cleared. Barca at one point offered to help kill monsters, which would free up Fissoan forces to march with them right away.

But, they ended up marching ahead anyway, rather than kill monsters where Fissoa actually needed it. Fissoa was literally unable to help, being attacked all over the place.

All the extra monsters everywhere was kind of a deathblow in many regards, as it stopped allies from aiding them in a war, until now with those things dealt with.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #109: April 15, 2014, 01:30:49 PM »
Yeah, sorry. After crossing the sea, going through Fissoan regions towards Luria and not seeing monsters, then receiving a letter from Fissoan generals threatening to withdraw their support because of an isolate case of killing of peasants in a Lurian region, kind of made us hesitate. That along with the absolute absence of a single ally until we got screwed up.

Communicate more, perhaps?

Barca did seem extremely disorganized and uncoordinated. We had a guild to organize, and yet I never saw Barcans use it, or really barely. We expected Barca to give us all of the food it had, too, and never saw (or noticed) it. Had we not been so short on food, we'd have had more resources to help out, and to help out more quickly. Barcans came to D'Hara to sail, and then disappeared. Then when we finally met up, we won the battle, and you guys ditched us anyways and retreated.

Barca should have given a daily report to the full members of the Southern League. They also should have respected the chain of command, instead of panicking and bailing out after a victory. So what if you risk losing a few more men? D'Hara can do the takeover and cede the region to you afterwards. Can't help you if both realms lose all of their men.

Communication is really a must if you require others to succeed. Going to D'Hara, and then sailing to Fissoa (why?), and then marching back North to meet up with D'Hara... Not the most efficient path.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110: April 15, 2014, 01:55:18 PM »
I'm not sure if my possible future "disappearance" is result of the glacier, but it propably speeds up my pause/quit of BM, atleast at Atamara. Will continue playing BT i guess.

Politics and geography simply didnt give Darka chanche to cover up losses what glacier and monsters are causing. Only way to cover up losses is to declare one more war to one of the neighbours and we already are at war half of the continent. There was some attemps to co-operate with other realms, but none seemed to be intrested or were scared of CE.

Overall this ofcourse can bring more density to Atamara, but for me... i cant see much of left for me there.

I cant blame devs for this ofcourse, they have to do something. Darka just happened to have short end this time... which personally sucks a lot, cause we had fought hard and long against horrible odds and doing decently. I really hope if Darka collapses, it will not collapse for nothing and BM will be better game after that. But Darka aint dead yet :)

-jaune
~Violence is always an option!~

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #111: April 15, 2014, 02:21:44 PM »
edit: nvm no point continuing this discussion
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:25:57 PM by Wolfang »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112: April 15, 2014, 06:17:28 PM »
Did Barca really try and march the whole way there? Why not sail over, and then land all together in an isolated rural somewhere? At least then you could avoid the monsters en route. (Note: I have no idea what Barca actually did, just combing the forum thread for my info.)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #113: April 15, 2014, 06:47:53 PM »
Did Barca really try and march the whole way there? Why not sail over, and then land all together in an isolated rural somewhere? At least then you could avoid the monsters en route. (Note: I have no idea what Barca actually did, just combing the forum thread for my info.)

We sailed what we could, but the food provision mechanics are debilitating, to say the least. We had to march over land occasionally just to recover more food for our troops.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #114: April 15, 2014, 06:50:24 PM »
Yes, we lost about 10% of our forces to starvation alone.

CyberGenesis

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #115: April 15, 2014, 07:07:17 PM »

Isolated case? 4 reports from a minimum of 2, if not 3 nobles. This was despite apparent orders from Julius to stop - a claim of no honor is sort of a side effect to an epic failure to follow the simplest of orders for 3 days in a row. Means either people simply don't care, or aren't bothering to read the orders given.

We sailed what we could, but the food provision mechanics are debilitating, to say the least. We had to march over land occasionally just to recover more food for our troops.

The Isles would have made a good halfway point, but that also implied the Isles weren't starving as well - which according to intel reports from the D'Haran Banker mails i've seen, the Sallow duchy has a decent food surplus that could have been redirected - or simply marched from the north rather than the south

----

All in all, there are a great many logistical failures that cannot wholly be blamed on game mechanics. There are half a dozen ways that this war could have gone, all within mechanics, and most of them very very bad for Luria. We've spent a great deal of time OOC counting the ways we thought we were hosed - when Barca showed up in Mellifera, we breathed a sigh of relief.

EDIT: I think that personally my biggest issue with the 'events' in BM lately is that it's bruising egos of players. Rulers and other long-serving council positions, as well as lords and dukes, are going to be a fair bit butthurt having to start over in a new area of a continent, or simply relocate to another. My sentiment on this is simply "Too Bad". These are the complaints of people who quit your average MMO over a class nerf because suddenly they cant 1-button the game anymore. People are pissed they have to give up positions they 'earned' in a game that has a declining population of players - Many lords since even I started playing are Lords for no other reason than they were active players and there was an opening. There was no 'earning' involved, right place at the right time.

Starting from the bottom and working up got me involved in the game. I made friends, allegiances, enemies, etc. all in the process of ascending the ranks. That's where the fun is - not sitting on your ass as the lord of a knight-less region collecting taxes you'll never spend.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:14:12 PM by CyberGenesis »

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #116: April 15, 2014, 07:31:39 PM »
Starting from the bottom and working up got me involved in the game. I made friends, allegiances, enemies, etc. all in the process of ascending the ranks. That's where the fun is - not sitting on your ass as the lord of a knight-less region collecting taxes you'll never spend.

This is the one thing I wish I could tell any player lost to the glacier/monsters. Starting over isn't a punishment, it is a process. Once you get to the top of the mountain, you don't get to magically fly higher and higher, you have to go down. The only way to the next mountain top is to stop obsessing over the one behind you and begin to imagine the path to the one ahead of you.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117: April 15, 2014, 07:35:56 PM »

EDIT: I think that personally my biggest issue with the 'events' in BM lately is that it's bruising egos of players. Rulers and other long-serving council positions, as well as lords and dukes, are going to be a fair bit butthurt having to start over in a new area of a continent, or simply relocate to another. My sentiment on this is simply "Too Bad". These are the complaints of people who quit your average MMO over a class nerf because suddenly they cant 1-button the game anymore. People are pissed they have to give up positions they 'earned' in a game that has a declining population of players - Many lords since even I started playing are Lords for no other reason than they were active players and there was an opening. There was no 'earning' involved, right place at the right time.

Thats prolly true on many cases, on my case(Not having any position in Darka, and i guess many other old Darkans) is that 10 years of "habit" to be Darkan is about to disappear. Culture which had grown along with us. I guess thats what has kept me playing past few years, along with this pesky war with CE. Overall, i'm not that worried about the results of this... but we prolly will lose many old farts who are playing just for the habit of playing.
~Violence is always an option!~

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #118: April 15, 2014, 07:49:12 PM »
Asylon sailed the whole damn way, no problem.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

CyberGenesis

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #119: April 15, 2014, 09:40:07 PM »
Thats prolly true on many cases, on my case(Not having any position in Darka, and i guess many other old Darkans) is that 10 years of "habit" to be Darkan is about to disappear. Culture which had grown along with us. I guess thats what has kept me playing past few years, along with this pesky war with CE. Overall, i'm not that worried about the results of this... but we prolly will lose many old farts who are playing just for the habit of playing.

So playing for the habit of playing is better than playing for the sake of doing something constructive? With your own time in the game, let alone everyone else. Do what Barca and Asylon in Dwilight are trying to do - Hijack some land, relocate. Or what Niselur did - ask an ally for a place to stay, tell their invaders to piss off, get land afterward and relocate.

Viewing this event solely as the death of a Realm is simply ludicrous. You're basically giving up. People love to apply real world history to events in BM, this is one of them. Europe and Asia have been conqured how many times? By how many vastly different cultures? How'd that turn out for them? Pretty damn good considering. The clingyness of players to their specific realm's ideals and politics is what's killing the game, not this event. Realms seem to VERY rarely merge for any reason outside of dwindling populations or simply getting their asses kicked in a war.

Someone has to give up a title in a merger, but a step down from ruler to Duke of the new lands you bring to another Realm isn't that large a gap in power. How many realms are basically Run by their dukes? Quite a few actually, I haven't seen many absolute tyrannical states in BM. They tend to not be a lot of fun for the players, so they don't really exist.